Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Did Theoben Rapids Stop Being Made

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Why Did Theoben Rapids Stop Being Made

Is it because the Queen Theoben stopped laying or did the hive get taken over by wasps?

Isn't it supposed to be one of the Best gunz?

Well I've read several versions of what happened, & there might well be versions I haven't yet seen.

But based on what has happened since I personally believe the version where a USA off shoot was set up with finance taken out using Theoben (UK) as collateral.
    As a business financial model it was seen that it would be economically better to let Theoben (UK) go bankrupt under the debt & start fresh in the USA as a new company (free of the debt) making basically identical rifles, able to be sold in the huge US market as US built products, rather than as expensive imports.

The name Theoben is now under control of Airforce airguns in the US who are supposedly making new Theoben rifles again.

Not sure which models though .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ucU9vegk8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFnZNVMWFO8

secretagentmole Guest

They never stopped making them!

Rapid Air Weapons....

https://www.tawnadoairguns.com/rapid...air_rifles.php

The HM1000....

What i can't understand about theoben is why did they include a quick fill and gauge after the mk1 i really loved my rapid but hated removing the bottle and not knowing how many shots I had left in the sweet spot of the unregulated mk1 👎 and worried about it if had leaked between uses so always removing that bloody bottle on the other hand thing I do feel theoben
    Was great for their mounting system can't for the life of me understand why other companies never jumped on it never once did I worry about my zero shifting and that one piece block that was built to last a life time great in so many areas poor in others but seemed to reject change

You can pretty much work out what happened by looking on the Companies House website. It appears that Martin Rutterford won't be able to run any companies over here again!

Rapids are now pretty much as good as they get and in my view better than the majority of hunting guns currently available on the market. Support is better than it's ever been with improvements made by the likes of Kev G and Bucket Boy, with many others who can service the guns. Parts are universally available and interchangeable.

As for the RAW guns, there's very little difference between them and the last Rapids or even the Impact guns with the exception of the side lever. I've head it said the finish is not as good and to confirm this I nearly bought one but the finish on the block had come off in a couple of places. I'm also advised the silencers perform poorly and personally I don't like the carbon sleeve on the barrel. Other than that I've often had a temptation for one with a laminate stock and carbon bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    You can pretty much work out what happened by looking on the Companies House website. It appears that Martin Rutterford won't be able to run any companies over here again!

Rapids are now pretty much as good as they get and in my view better than the majority of hunting guns currently available on the market. Support is better than it's ever been with improvements made by the likes of Kev G and Bucket Boy, with many others who can service the guns. Parts are universally available and interchangeable.

As for the RAW guns, there's very little difference between them and the last Rapids or even the Impact guns with the exception of the side lever. I've head it said the finish is not as good and to confirm this I nearly bought one but the finish on the block had come off in a couple of places. I'm also advised the silencers perform poorly and personally I don't like the carbon sleeve on the barrel. Other than that I've often had a temptation for one with a laminate stock and carbon bottle.
    Just looked & all I can find is that Theoben was dissolved, no record of Martin Rutterford being disqualified, can you link or be more forthcoming with information.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    So sort of a victim of their own success and gone abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    So sort of a victim of their own success and gone abroad.
    More a victim of management exploitation of international business rules.

Pretty sure the Martin fellow has sold RAW. Can't remember where I heard it, but I seem to remember this being said.

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    Pretty sure the Martin fellow has sold RAW. Can't remember where I heard it, but I seem to remember this being said.
    Airforce airguns now own RAW (& as such the Theoben name) as per the links in post #3 but AFAIK the same people are running it, they just have another level above them.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Airforce airguns now own RAW (& as such the Theoben name) as per the links in post #3 but AFAIK the same people are running it, they just have another level above them.
    I was led to believe RAW could not keep up with demand in the US and merged with Air Force to get the rifles mass produced.

After finding it difficult to keep with increasing production demands, RAW’s owner Martin Rutterford decided to seek an alliance with a
    company that could offer increased production capacity while still maintaining the level of quality RAW is known for. After vetting the
    available options Rutterford approached AirForce Airguns with the idea of combing resources. He said “I was impressed by AirForce’s
    reputation for reliability, performance, and great customer service. After looking at other companies, it became quickly apparent
    AirForce would be the first choice.”

https://www.airforceairguns.com/v/vs...-012318web.pdf

full thing

News Release
    January 2018
    AirForce Joins With Rapid Air Weapons
    AirForce Airguns joins with Rapid Air Weapons
    (Fort Worth, TX – January 23, 2018) The AirForce group of companies which includes AirForce International and BKL Technologies is
    excited the announce the addition of the Rapid Air Weapons and Theoben brands to the lineup.
    Rapid Air Weapons(RAW) has established itself as the premier manufacturer of high performance airguns in the US. The company is
    well known to airgun shooters demanding world ranked performance in field target and benchrest competitions. Hunters looking for
    refinement, reliability, and extreme accuracy are lining up to add a RAW air rifle to their collection.
    After finding it difficult to keep with increasing production demands, RAW’s owner Martin Rutterford decided to seek an alliance with a
    company that could offer increased production capacity while still maintaining the level of quality RAW is known for. After vetting the
    available options Rutterford approached AirForce Airguns with the idea of combing resources. He said “I was impressed by AirForce’s
    reputation for reliability, performance, and great customer service. After looking at other companies, it became quickly apparent
    AirForce would be the first choice.”
    AirForce President John McCaslin said “After extensive negotiations we finalized an agreement just days prior to the SHOT Show. I
    can’t say enough about how excited I am to expand the availability of these world class US made airguns.”
    Future plans include bringing back the legendary Theoben line of airguns. Theoben started building airguns in England over 30 years
    ago and quickly developed a reputation for quality. After ceasing operations 5 years ago during a severe economic downturn, there has
    been a relentless cry to bring the line back into production. “We intend to bring this classic line of airguns back into production as we
    ramp up the availability of RAW products” said McCaslin “There are very few airgun companies that actually make their guns in the
    US with US made components, and utilizing US workers. This was one of the main reasons Rutterford approached us at the beginning
    of the talks. We will continue in that direction as we focus on US made quality and performance while our competitors focus their
    businesses around imported components and assemblies.”
    AirForce Airguns has been innovating, designing and producing precision pre-charged air guns at their Fort Worth, Texas headquarters
    for over 15 years. In 2016, AirForce opened a new state of the art factory in Texas to keep up with the growing demand and integrate the
    newest manufacturing techniques.
    AirForce is known for developing the most technologically advanced airgun shooting systems in the world and is the original and
    favorite black airgun. With a reputation for flexibility and legendary accuracy, AirForce Airguns offers a solution for just about any
    airgun shooting situation.
    Serious airgunning starts at AirForce Airguns.
    For more information on AirForce Airguns, visit the website www.airforceairguns.com or write to AirForce Airguns, P.O. Box 2478, Fort
    Worth, Texas 76113

Martin Rutterford has since started another airgun company. Tuning I think .

http://www.airguns-usa.com/

Martin Rutterford has a world wide reputation for the Air Rifles he has manufactured during the past 35 years, being the former owner of Rapid Air Weapons LLC and Theoben Ltd

Makes me wonder if Airforce specifically want the Theoben name for Europe so Rutterford had to go to avoid the new company having any link to the debts of the old Theoben.

Saying it was an "alliance" made me think he was staying

I think there are a number of factors including bad management, poor CustomerService but IMO it’s they just went out of fashion. Other companies offered better looking guns Nice features as standard.

A lot of people like to have the latest gear, so look for the “next” gun, theoben stuck to a basic design, most improvements were internal so to the uninitiated they were the same as the previous gun. Theoben had and has a loyal fan base but once that market has been filled then they couldn’t compete with the other manufacturers for new customers.

Personally, I love my rapids, I don’t mind removing the bottles to charge them every 200+ shots ( never bothered to fit a q/f or gauge to any of mine) I like the simple design thats easy to maintain, I like the solid construction, I like that they are easy to modify and customise I would like the stocks to be a bit prettier but I am not too upset if I accidentally put a dink or scratch in the stocks I have.

Are there better designed guns, possibly. Are there better made guns, definitely. Are the more accurate guns, perhaps. Are there prettier guns, absolutely, but in the real world of rain, of mud, of knocks and abuse is there anything better? I seriously doubt it.

B.B.

Quote Originally Posted by airgun View Post
    What i can't understand about theoben is why did they include a quick fill and gauge after the mk1 i really loved my rapid but hated removing the bottle and not knowing how many shots I had left in the sweet spot of the unregulated mk1 👎
    A few reasons.

Cost.
    Unlike a lot of guns that come with q/f, shot count is high so doesn’t really need to have one.
    Taking two or three spare buddy bottles with you for an extended hunting trip is easier than taking a charging kit
    Some people don’t have charging kit and just fill the bottles for a couple of quid at the local gun shop.
    The only realistic place to fit a q/f and gauge on a rapid is between the bottle and block, the possibility of leaks increase and it requires the stock to be modified.

Bb