Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns in London?

Guns in London?

Hi Guys,

I live well over 2 hours from London, so I don't know.
    I've heard lots of times that it is illegal to 'own a gun in London'.
    Are they talking about legal fire arms, air rifles, pistols?
    Are the laws different in London from the rest of the country?
    It might be useful to know what is legal where if there is variation across the UK.

Thanks.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The people you spoke to are mis-informed.

I owned a Section 1 firearm legally when I lived in London, and had a large collection of airguns.

It is legal to own firearms and airguns in London, provided you have an FAC or SGC for the former and fit the criteria for legal ownership of the latter.

I think Transport for London does not allow the carrying of airguns or firearms or any other kind of gun-shaped object on TFL buses, trains or tubes.

Otherwise it is the same as anywhere else on mainland UK.

I did used to carry my rifles to my car in an electric bass guitar case so as not to attract attention, and pistols would be in a padlocked tool-box. Just be sensible, don't go carrying your airgun around Westminster without a reason e.g. going to a target shooting club as you will probably get taken in by the cops for questioning if they stop you and you haven't a good reason (there are rifle clubs in central London, there was even one under the House of Commons but I'm not sure if it is still there).
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 26-05-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Hi,

I've only heard it, I've not spoken to anybody about it.
    I just keep reading it on the net and see it said on youtube.
    It comes up so often I thought it may have a grain of truth about it?
    So it seems it's just the uninformed public mouthing off again as usual !

Thanks.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I read an article a few years ago,

about a guy shooting foxes on the streets with subs at night in London.

The council paid him IIRC.
    Master Debater

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Hi,

I've only heard it, I've not spoken to anybody about it.
    I just keep reading it on the net and see it said on youtube.
    It comes up so often I thought it may have a grain of truth about it?
    So it seems it's just the uninformed public mouthing off again as usual !

Thanks.
    The University of Youtube can be an excellent educational institution, but in some areas it is a bit patchy. It IS illegal to own guns if you are looking at it from the POV of someone from Texas who is used to buying their pistols from a pawn shop and their ammo from Walmart, then keeping the loaded gun in their glove-box or on their night-stand. To be honest I am glad the idiots of YouTube think it is illegal to own a gun in London, that might stop them trying to buy them. Idiots with guns is a bad blend.

The grain of truth is the Transport for London ban on them, but that is not strictly 'illegal', you will just get hoofed off the system, although if they don't like you they will pass you on to the London Transport Police. I think it is fair enough, the capital's sercurity system has to keep a lid on things and it might be confusing with innocent people wandering about with rifles on their backs.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 26-05-2018 at 12:08 PM.

I never said I believed what I've read or heard.
    This is why I asked here, I chose to ask the people 'that know'.

I never said I believed what I've read or heard.
    This is why I asked here, I chose to ask the people 'that know'.
    I never said you did! Clearly you had doubts, hence you asked the question. It's good to doubt assertions, that's how science works.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I read an article a few years ago,

about a guy shooting foxes on the streets with subs at night in London.

The council paid him IIRC.
    Think i saw i tv prog about the same guy.

London is a big old place with a population creeping towards 9 million, spread out over 32 boroughs.

There are excellent ranges and airgun clubs dotted around, offering a wealth of experience and friendly advice.

The law in London is the same as for the rest of the country but travelling about or on public transport can pose issues, if sensible arrangements are not made.

I generally tend to have my rifle slips non gun shaped or if I do have a more traditional carry case, I will load it in the vehicle out of sight of others.

It’s also quite easy to access decent permissions within a relatively short drive out into the greener parts - I can be at my permissions in Essex or Hertfordshire within 30 mins.

It’s refreshing how many fellow shooters I know or meet in London.

Long may it continue.
    Last edited by Shoto1; 26-05-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Spell
    Less is more

Hi Guys,

I live well over 2 hours from London, so I don't know.
    I've heard lots of times that it is illegal to 'own a gun in London'.
    Are they talking about legal fire arms, air rifles, pistols?
    Are the laws different in London from the rest of the country?
    It might be useful to know what is legal where if there is variation across the UK.

Thanks.

You've been mislead...

Illegal guns are illegal across England.
    Legal guns are legal across England.

London has no special laws.

I say, just to prove it to yourself, pop in to Holland & Holland and get something nice in .256 Roberts for your next trip to Kenya. Perfect for the smaller ungulates.

https://www.hollandandholland.com/gu...ndon-gun-room/

Holland & Holland, 33 Bruton St, Mayfair, London W1J 6HH

Then stop off at the Caledonia Club for a couple of whiskies. Perfect day out IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    You've been mislead...

Illegal guns are illegal across England.
    Legal guns are legal across England.

London has no special laws.
    Brilliant answer!

with a licence you can own guns,any where in england.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The people you spoke to are mis-informed.

I owned a Section 1 firearm legally when I lived in London, and had a large collection of airguns.

It is legal to own firearms and airguns in London, provided you have an FAC or SGC for the former and fit the criteria for legal ownership of the latter.

I think Transport for London does not allow the carrying of airguns or firearms or any other kind of gun-shaped object on TFL buses, trains or tubes.

Otherwise it is the same as anywhere else on mainland UK.

I did used to carry my rifles to my car in an electric bass guitar case so as not to attract attention, and pistols would be in a padlocked tool-box. Just be sensible, don't go carrying your airgun around Westminster without a reason e.g. going to a target shooting club as you will probably get taken in by the cops for questioning if they stop you and you haven't a good reason (there are rifle clubs in central London, there was even one under the House of Commons but I'm not sure if it is still there).
    Most transport services...train...tube...bus...taxi will have conditions of carriage.its reasonable to expect they wont be welcoming FAC firearms with open arms.

Up to the individual of course but there are protective case solutions that can be used if you are of that mind. There are many break down rifles that fit into small cases.

It is very easy to be discreet. And lable shit with non PC sensitve information like musical instrument.pr metal detector. Sewage gear with a nio hazard lable...
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

All laws would be the same in England but what you may find with most cities in the UK is that you may bring more attention to your self in the city more than you would outside of them, The laws seems to be a bit more relaxed for example around where I live away from any big towns or cities, Years ago I came across a problem just getting out my mini metro in camo gear and a fishing rod by Cardiff foreshore, Some chap was being delivered by helicopter to watch a football/rugby match, Believe he was one of the royal family, Myself i may not feel quite as safe walking around London as i would where i live with what may look like a weapon on my shoulder more so if armed police were about, Not saying they would shoot me for no reason but it would be in my mind,