Thread: Airgun petition

Airgun petition

Think this needs to be signed guys

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/211656

All these petitions, are they a waste of time ?
    Along with social media I wonder if they help to 'water down' the real feelings of the people involved ?
    Typically someone has a legitimate reason to be concerned about something and it then gets debated on social media, everyone has different views about the issue and eventually a petition is created. Everyone involved feels better because they have 'done something' but it seems the something they have done has lost momentum and will follow the well trodden path to failure especially created by the powers that be to deal with public 'issues'

Quote Originally Posted by negotiator View Post
    Think this needs to be signed guys

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/211656
    Waiting or email link to Finnish,

All done now.

Quote Originally Posted by nitemax View Post
    All these petitions, are they a waste of time ?
    Along with social media I wonder if they help to 'water down' the real feelings of the people involved ?
    Typically someone has a legitimate reason to be concerned about something and it then gets debated on social media, everyone has different views about the issue and eventually a petition is created. Everyone involved feels better because they have 'done something' but it seems the something they have done has lost momentum and will follow the well trodden path to failure especially created by the powers that be to deal with public 'issues'
    Don't think it matters but it's worth trying,

Surely this is the same petition as there were multiple threads about back in Feb/Mar

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Surely this is the same petition as there were multiple threads about back in Feb/Mar
    I was just about to say that, wasn't the outcome that the police don't have the time, manpower or resources to implement anything like this?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    As I pointed out on the earlier threads, there are currently NO such proposals so there is nothing for the petition to drop. Any outcome from this petition can therefore have no effect at present and will not be considered should any future such proposals be raised. Very dangerous to put up such a simplistic and flawed petition - remember that politicians can interpret the underlying meaning to suit just about any agenda (e.g. the Brexit vote). Complete waste of everyone's time and yes it can do harm in three ways:

1) By making us look like fools if we support what is in fact a null proposition

2) By diluting the effect of any future petitions because of "petition burn" (both on petitioners and on those petitioned)

3) By sending the message that only a small number of people can be arsed.

Folly.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I was just about to say that, wasn't the outcome that the police don't have the time, manpower or resources to implement anything like this?

Pete
    I wish it was but I haven't heard any regarding the outcome of the review
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    As I pointed out on the earlier threads, there are currently NO such proposals so there is nothing for the petition to drop. Any outcome from this petition can therefore have no effect at present and will not be considered should any future such proposals be raised. Very dangerous to put up such a simplistic and flawed petition - remember that politicians can interpret the underlying meaning to suit just about any agenda (e.g. the Brexit vote). Complete waste of everyone's time and yes it can do harm in three ways:

1) By making us look like fools if we support what is in fact a null proposition

2) By diluting the effect of any future petitions because of "petition burn" (both on petitioners and on those petitioned)

3) By sending the message that only a small number of people can be arsed.

Folly.
    As indicated by the relatively low number of signatures.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Pete
    If you read the report of the conference that BASC had organised ( it was published in one of airgun related magazines ) you will see that the good people representing our beloved cats are still pushing for a full licensing scheme. The Police representatives have said that at this moment in time they do not have the resources to tackle a licensing scheme but this does not mean that they are either for or against it. This way they have left the door open.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    If you read the report of the conference that BASC had organised ( it was published in one of airgun related magazines ) you will see that the good people representing our beloved cats are still pushing for a full licensing scheme. The Police representatives have said that at this moment in time they do not have the resources to tackle a licensing scheme but this does not mean that they are either for or against it. This way they have left the door open.

A.G
    This isn't the end of the review process with the Home Office undertook though. This might mean they will not pursue a licencing scheme due to the police representatives response but there's still the issue of airgun security and storage changes which were heavily hinted at. I assume we'll be waiting a while for an offical HO statement on the outcome of the review though as the government has far more important issues to deal with at this moment in time.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    This isn't the end of the review process with the Home Office undertook though. This might mean they will not pursue a licencing scheme due to the police representatives response but there's still the issue of airgun security and storage changes which were heavily hinted at. I assume we'll be waiting a while for an offical HO statement on the outcome of the review though as the government has far more important issues to deal with at this moment in time.
    Yes I agree that at the moment they have far more important issues on their hands but do not forget that this is a weak government getting weaker by the day. A couple of the usual inaccurate and sensationalist articles in the usual papers and the usual government knee jerk reaction will follow. If BASC is on the case as discussed it means that the issue is alive and serious.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Yes it's the same one

Que sera sera
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

bossmugler is offline More breaking even than breaking bad
    I thought it was the same one that I had already signed as well.