Thread: Tank fills

Tank fills

Hello everyone, question.
    I only seem to bee getting a low fill count from my 3 litre tank. Filling RM8 and Ultra XL.
    Tank is new.
    I'm thinking a slow leak but no evidence of one
    Thoughts pleas gents.

secretagentmole Guest
    Was it filled to 300 bar to begin with? Some places 300 bar is more like 240 or 260.....

Do you have a metal blanking plug to check the tank contents when you collect it after filling?

How many fills do you get & what size & working pressure are the rifles, remembering each time you put air in to the rife you take it out of the tank so the tank pressure will drop.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Depends what you class as "low".
    Master Debater

6 fills. Rotex and Ultra both 230 bar fill

Smile bottle

spray valve with a mix of water and fairy liquid,see if it foams up

It may sound daft but check the base of the cylinder for leaks , The reason for this is when i worked at MDE we had a batch of steel 3lt cylinders come in from the manufacturer , we fitted valves to a batch of them and filled them to working pressure filling them 4 at a time in a water bath to keep them cool when filling and i noticed very small bubbles rising in the water from one cylinder , I took the cylinders out and checked them and found one with a small sizzling leak dead centre in the base of the cylinder as it turns out in the manufacture process when the cylinder base was closed up a fault in the metal resulted in an inclusion when the base was formed , All hell broke loose with the makers (cannot remember if it was Roth or Faber) as every cylinder should be hydro tested when manufactured and our entire delivery of 300 cylinders was sent back for investigation and luckily none were sent out.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby1tyke View Post
    Yep, sounds about right, the tank would be down below 220bar after that, and obviously once below max fill you will only be able to equalise the rifle to the remaining tank pressure.
    Obviously you can still "fill" with what pressure there is, you just get fewer shots until it's not worth bothering but that might be down to 140bar.

I don't know the rotex but afaik the ultra isn't regulated so I'd recommend you do a test to find the sweet spot as at max fill rifles can actually shoot a bit down on power, you might find it much better to only fill to 200 bar.

You should be fine to keep using the cylinder till it will only fill to something like 170 before needing to get it filled depending on the gun and how many shots you will have. been filling my scorpion and hornet both regulated to 190 for a few weeks now don't really notice any difference but then i don't shoot them till empty and refill after 50-60 shots.
    Scorpion. 177 hornet. 177 txhc. 177 s200. 177 97. 177 99.177 95. 22 80. 22 vulcan. 22 excorcet. 22
    Trying hard to keep it down to 10 rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby1tyke View Post
    hello, that sounds about right, just get a 12 ltr 300 bar cylinder, or even a cheap pump to keep topping up.