Thread: Squashing a spring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I like to start by collapsing a few coils rather than cutting them off. You can then experiment with having the weight travelling or stationery. It can often make a difference to power and/or felt recoil.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Hi have you actually checked the power as it might have had someone tamper in the past. They are dead easy to strip and work on. All the best Graham.

Hello guys.

Thanks for the replies. Not tesed yet as my Chrono is proving tempremental at the mo. I'll try at the club next time I'm there.

I've put in a diy piston liner, has stopped the slight twang but seems no better or worse than it was before for sensistivty. I don't think it's this.

Holding hand on a rest on bench. Fore stock sat on flat open palm. Trigger hand has slight pressure squeezing grip between fingers and palm. Thumb not touch touching stock. Head lightly touching stock. Butt just lightly touching shoulder. Gun free to move when fired.

I'm I missing something obvious,. This technique works with my other springers.

Not sure where I'm going wrong

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    technique doesn't sound like the problem, but is it innacruate, or hold sensitive ? If you shoot it as you described, with a very consistent hold, and it's still innaccurate, it's not hold sensitiive - it's innacurate !

So now to answer the why is it innacurate..
    i) give the barrel a good clean
    ii) try a few different pellets - JSBs, H&Ns, superdomes are all worth a crack - alowwing a couple of dozen shots each tiem you switch got the bore to adjust to the lead composition of the new pellet
    iii) shoot over the chrono - is it consistent - if not may need a new piston seal or breech seal, or a busted spring
    iv) knackered scope - try another
    v) let someone else try the gun
    vi) the barrel may have a problem - e.g. crowning.
    vii) come to the springer bash (actually, just do that anyways) !
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

What I would recommend is that if you are close to your preferred FPS then I would compress a spring rather than cut it. I did find when I was close I decided to remove half a coil and ended up having to use pre load washers to bring it back up.
    Once you are close to your target a little spring makes a big difference.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Just gave the barrel a good clean. Seems much better. I'll get some more lead down he barrel and see how I go from there

Cheers

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post
    Just gave the barrel a good clean. Seems much better. I'll get some more lead down he barrel and see how I go from there

Cheers
    best try the simple stuff first
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.