Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would not buy an Air-Arms HW99-type break-barrel after pleading for one?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Who would not buy an Air-Arms HW99-type break-barrel after pleading for one?

Air Arms must be sick to their elbows of enthusiasts bleating for a 'new break barrel', tailored for the UK market.

The Pro-Elite was not a big seller for them, so I can see why it might put them off. A really good mid-size break-barrel, like a quality version of the HW99S, might take sales away from their TX200HC and ProSport but give them less profit per unit.

Say they do cave in and make one, it wouldn't be difficult for them to actually do it. A piece of cake.

But would people buy them? We have been here before; the clamouring for a reissue of the Feinwerkbau Sport, and a clamouring for Custom Stocks of Sheffield to make HW99S stocks.

There were about 3 Feinwerkbau Sporters sold in the UK, maybe 10 in the USA. And maybe three HW99S CSS stocks sold in the UK.

If Air Arms sell a UK market break barrel it might well be the same. It will be more expensive than the HW99S, so budget-minded people will prefer the Weihrauch; and for a bit more outlay, richer people could get the TX200 - so they will.

It might be that only 30 are sold in the UK.... I can see why they might not judge it a good business proposition.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 29-05-2018 at 04:13 PM.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Head - Nail - Wallop!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

It’s a valid point and I guess the biggest factor will be ‘over time’

Not so long ago probably circa 10 years+ the 99s wasn’t actually held in very high esteem many people overlooked this rifle and many dismissed it.

There were quite a few negative reviews back in those days certainly well before the shed tuners had that chance to mooch inside and then it just flicked the lightbulb moment snowballed into something ideal over night.

Once they started to gain popularity it was then followed by the good reviews then it was a tuners tick box and the rest is history as they say.

I think if AA did offer something it’s hard to see what the outcome would be as it depends on so many different factors.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    It’s a valid point and I guess the biggest factor will be ‘over time’

Not so long ago probably circa 10 years+ the 99s wasn’t actually held in very high esteem many people overlooked this rifle and many dismissed it.

There were quite a few negative reviews back in those days certainly well before the shed tuners had that chance to mooch inside and then it just flicked the lightbulb moment snowballed into something ideal over night.

Once they started to gain popularity it was then followed by the good reviews then it was a tuners tick box and the rest is history as they say.

I think if AA did offer something it’s hard to see what the outcome would be as it depends on so many different factors.
    I tend to think the above is a very pertinent post. If AA produced a mediocre break barrel that requires fettling before it becomes acceptable and competitive against the opposition then I cannot see it being a success.
    To be a success it has to meet the opposition head on and then some for quality, reliability and performance. So, no galling issues, no cut unfinished spring ends, no boings that jar your teeth (assuming you have some). Maybe the market would accept a small premium in price, but get that wrong and it will sink.
    Just my take ..
    Cheers, Phil

People would/should only buy the TX if it suits there needs. A 99 style rifle from AA would appeal to hunters and younger shooters, surely?
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I can’t see the point in a 99 style rifle, it’s poorly made and struggles in .177. Now if they made a 95 style rifle with a better end block it would be a different matter.....

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I can’t see the point in a 99 style rifle, it’s poorly made and struggles in .177. Now if they made a 95 style rifle with a better end block it would be a different matter.....
    It only needs to be 99 in proportions. Just designed and made properly
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    With slightly more oomph!

The problem i think they would run into is the hw99s is £185 at my local rfd and im thinking if air arms made a similar rifle but higher quality the top end price would have to be no more than £250 and im not sure air arms would price them at that or more like £300+

To be fair i would still buy one but would someone who just wants a decent rifle choose one over a hw im not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Exactly
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

From what I've experienced with my short stroked 95 & 98 ….this would be exactly the right starting point from my perspective...BUT specifically made for the 12 FPE limit.

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    From what I've experienced with my short stroked 95 & 98 ….this would be exactly the right starting point from my perspective...BUT specifically made for the 12 FPE limit.

Cheers Steve
    The 99 is 71mm and the 95/98 is 85mm, I reckon a 75mm stroke would be ideal for the uk in 26mm, but 25mm x 80mm would be better. Trouble is with the varying limits worldwide it would be a very niche market.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    The only reason the 99 is so popular now is that it runs perfectly at our 12ftp power limits (I remember talking to Tony Wall about it many years ago and he said he wouldn't even touch them, different story now), if it didn't then no one would bother with it and would just stick with the 95 instead, the Pro Elite was just a glorified HW80, big, brash, powerful and made for the US market but the 80 had it's feet well under the yankee table years before, the thing is not everyone wants to carry a big lump around all day.

I don't think that people are expecting the new AA BB to be another 99 but they want it to perform like one but would be happy with it being the size of a 95, personally I don't want AA to produce a rifle to compete with the 99 on price and performance, I want it to outperform the 99, 95, 98, in fact all of the current BB's on the markets and if I have to pay £300 for it, then so be it, as for the new FWB sport, that was just ugly and overpriced.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    The only reason the 99 is so popular now is that it runs perfectly at our 12ftp power limits (I remember talking to Tony Wall about it many years ago and he said he wouldn't even touch them, different story now), if it didn't then no one would bother with it and would just stick with the 95 instead, the Pro Elite was just a glorified HW80, big, brash, powerful and made for the US market but the 80 had it's feet well under the yankee table years before, the thing is not everyone wants to carry a big lump around all day.

I don't think that people are expecting the new AA BB to be another 99 but they want it to perform like one but would be happy with it being the size of a 95, personally I don't want AA to produce a rifle to compete with the 99 on price and performance, I want it to outperform the 99, 95, 98, in fact all of the current BB's on the markets and if I have to pay £300 for it, then so be it, as for the new FWB sport, that was just ugly and overpriced.

Pete
    I agree with all of that, but think it would be closer to £400. On the plus side it would be good looking, well made, not self destruct and the trigger would be usuable for non orangutans.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I agree with all of that, but think it would be closer to £400. On the plus side it would be good looking, well made, not self destruct and the trigger would be usuable for non orangutans.
    Like you say, if it come out the box as good as a Prosport but just had a bendy barrel (not as in Chinese made bendy barrels) and didn't need threatening with a load of delrin and extra cash, then I'd happily pay double the price of a 99 for it, as most 99 owners (and 95 come to think of it) will happily pay the same again to get it to shoot straight and look better.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in