Thread: A Jean Marck Demi Tir and Adjey Peepsight For Sale

A Jean Marck Demi Tir and Adjey Peepsight For Sale

For Sale: A smoothbore .177 Jean Marck No 2 Demi Tir Gem style Target Model airgun.
    These were among the best quality Gem style airguns to be made and were capable of achieving tight groups in competition. This particular Target model still has a tight action and groups well at 6 yards. Extending the range outdoors this airgun can hit targets placed up to 20 yards away, so don’t believe all you hear about Gem styles being inherently inaccurate!

The Cylinder and extended Target spurred buttplate retain a good deal of plated finish and much of the barrel’s bluing also remains intact. The stock has a raised cheek piece, which is a nice target shooting feature. The No 2 is fitted with a Swiss style rearsight that resembles those seen on Giffards and is screw adjustable for elevation. The sight can also be drifted laterally, as can the wing protected foresight. The rearsight has been adapted to form a large aperture, which was in vogue for a short period of time during the Edwardian period and enables accurate shooting to be undertaken.

The barrel is marked ‘MADE ABROAD SPECIALLY FOR R J ADGEY’. This Belfast based gun importer had an interesting past, which including smuggling arms to the Ulster Volunteer Force from Belgium and he also authored a book on the subject in 1914.

The wrist of the No 2 has been drilled and tapped to accept a peep sight, which does not detrimentally affect air compression as the gun still fires very well. I have another similar model in my collection, which is fitted with an Adjey branded peep sight and that is also incredibly accurate. Although I managed to source an Adjey branded peepsight for this airgun, I never fitted it, as the rearsight would obstruct the sight picture and I like the No 2’s 'peep rearsight' for its novelty.

All in all, a rare target version in the Gem style - £195 F2F or can post by PF48 at cost.

An R.J. Adjey branded peepsight.

As mentioned above, I originally sourced this sight for the No 2 Demi Tir but never fitted it, as I decided not to remove the No 2’s Swiss style rearsight to use the Adjey. The sight is fully adjustable vertically and laterally, and fits to the upper part of a rifle’s stock. The sight folds forward when not is use. It is marked R.J. ADJEY BELFAST. There is a generous amount of vertical adjustment, which can be locked up by screwing in the eyepiece in the same manner as a BSA No 8 sight and dates from the same era. The eyepiece thread is the same as a Parker or BSA and the Adjey will accept BSA or Parker single or multi hole apertures.

Messrs Adgey & Murphy Pawnbokers were said to be one of the largest arms dealers in the North of Ireland just prior to the outbreak of the First World War and imported firearms legitimately, some of which are said to have found their way into the hands of the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF).

In 1914, R.J. Adgey authored a book on Arming the Ulster Volunteers and his involvement in gunrunning brought him into contact with a Belgian gunsmith called William Grah of Liege. It could be Belgian airguns such as those made by Jean Marck were imported legitimately at this time alongside other sporting arms.

A rare peepsight with a link to British and Irish history - £75 posted

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jz3vBE2QN98F7UYp9

May I have the JM rifle please? I'm afraid you'd have to post it.
    Best wishes,
    Glyn

Glyn, If John takes it to Kempton on Sunday I could pick it up and drop it off at yours next week. Regards Tim

That's very kind of you Tim. I'll take your offer up please. It would save John having to wrap it up & post it.
    Best wishes,
    Glyn

Hi Glyn,

The JM is yours and thank you Tim for your kind offer. I'll bring it to Kempton.

Kind regards,

John

Smashing.

Thank you, gentlemen both.
    Enjoy Kempton
    Glyn