Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crosman 451 valuation

crosman 451 valuation

I have owned a crosman 451 for many years, and decided its time for it to go along with lots of other shooting stuff, ill health and no shooting mojo has sort of woken me up to the amount of stuff i own but dont use, boxed but box is tatty, complete with crosman bulbs x5 with crimped on ends in box for these, instruction book, havnt ever shot it in the time i've owned it, no grunched screws, pretty much original but obviously been used sometime in its life, opinions / valuations would be welcomed, prior to selling, thanks
    Last edited by hawkdriver; 24-06-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quite alot, these are very rare and unusual Crosmans with a short production run. Most of the production will have remained in the USA. There must be only a handful of examples in the UK or Europe. This is a guess, but if it is in good condition I would ask £400 for it.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006...itary-45-auto/

Spot on.
    But it needs to be in full working order ,otherwise budget for a trip to Lawrie.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    The only two I've ever heard of were both ornaments as neither owner wanted to use them in case they broke

But for the collector - and all in good shape I'd say around £400 sounds about right...

If you knew it worked and it’s good cosmetically I’d try a bit more. How often do you see one for sale, and they don’t eat

Not knowing if it’s in working order would drag the price down in my view.

Dennis Baker had a few for sale sold as non working at around $275 and I was tempted but never bought one

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    Dennis Baker had a few for sale sold as non working at around $275 and I was tempted but never bought one
    Who might Dennis Baker be? - $275 USD sounds cheap even for a non runner

Remember folks, this is "boxed". That is "very" rare.

Pictures are important for a proper valuation. However, minimum price for an unboxed 451 in full working condition would be £400. Boxed you are looking at £500 to £600. As you have all the manuals and original crosman caplets you are looking at £550 perhaps as you said the box is tatty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Who might Dennis Baker be? - $275 USD sounds cheap even for a non runner
    Denis Baker is a US dealer.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    He had that up for sale for ages - with a note saying that he wouldn't repair it either...

I assume because the parts it needed were unobtainable and/or too expensive to make.

The 451 was a great idea that just wasn't properly executed by Crosman. At that point in time, Crosman as a company was having internal problems; the President, PY Hahn, was really only interested in selling the company and maximizing his gains (which is why Rudy Merz was no longer around) the Engineering department was run by an incompetent. It was the head of Crosman Marketing/Sales who had the idea of making a replica of the venerable Colt 1911, he was an ex USAF officer and an avid competitive pistol shooter and he knew that a good replica of the 45 semi auto would be very popular. However, his idea was sabotaged by the engineering department who went ahead and made what they made, even though Marketing/Sales went to every effort to make the gun a true replica of the original.

Of course what they got was a gun that did look the part but had added bits not true to the original; which greatly offended the Marketing/Sales department. Add to that the gun jams so easily and then breaks, well, Crosman Marketing/Sales just wasn't interested in selling the gun. In fact, you will be very hard pressed to find any mention of the 451 model in any US Crosman literature. It does not appear in any Crosman US catalog of the time. Interestingly, it does appear in the 1968-1970 Canadian Crosman catalogs.

As I recall, MAC-1 in the US can still service these. There are certainly some breakable parts (hammer) that are no longer available but a complete gun should be serviceable.

One shooting note: the real shame about the poor reliability of these guns is that when shooting the gun it really does mimic the recoil of the original. It's great fun.
    Last edited by DT Fletcher; 01-06-2018 at 12:33 AM.

The Crosman 451

Amazingly(evidently),my original(first) 451 still holds CO2 and cycles. It has not had much use.Way back,I recall getting some spare hammers from Mr Robert Lutter-havn't had to use them yet.I bang off a Powerlet of gas then put the gun away.So,not a 'typical' shooter by a long way.The 451 is NOT a fragile item.It's components are hard-wearing.There really is no reason it shouldn't work for decades after I've gone. Best $34 I ever spent! ;-)Trev

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    Amazingly(evidently),my original(first) 451 still holds CO2 and cycles. It has not had much use.Way back,I recall getting some spare hammers from Mr Robert Lutter-havn't had to use them yet.I bang off a Powerlet of gas then put the gun away.So,not a 'typical' shooter by a long way.The 451 is NOT a fragile item.It's components are hard-wearing.There really is no reason it shouldn't work for decades after I've gone. Best $34 I ever spent! ;-)Trev
    I vividly remember the first time I got to fire a 451 and was amazed at how it cycles and simulates the recoil of the original. My first thought was, "I have to get one of these." They're great fun.

Why not put a 12g cylinder (not one of the original ones!) in and see whether it works?

If it does - top price as stated ^^ if not price accordingly or get it fixed - Lawrie?

Either way you and any potential buyer will know exactly what you are selling. If it doesn't work it will not be as if you broke it!

This is my 451 bought from John Groenewold in the US back in the late 70s. Shot extensively in the 80s and 90s without a hitch. Fiddle to load and 6 shots don't last long

[IMG]DSC00010 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]