Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daystate mk3

Not sure about the mk3, but the Mk4 doesnt need the key to be turned on for charging, so i would presume the mk3 is the same so just charge for 24hrs and go from there.

Have been charging it 2 days,it's as if the batteries were not receiving it or holding it
    Beeps twice, charger goes to red from green to charge mode,flashing but not a skerick of power to trigger.
    Might be more serious than just batteries???????.
    snarepeg.

Now this will most likely just muddy the waters:
    I have a Mk3 with the two soldered batteries. The charger itself has no lights on it but I am convinced it is a unit as supplied by Daystate ... my daughter has an early AirWolf with an identical charger.
    When charging, rifle switched 'off', the light on the rifle (orange/yellow) flashes on and off. The rifle safety catch is switched off at this time, switch down. There is no indication to me when the batteries are charged, I judge on the time I have left it ... usually between 6 and 8 hours every 4 - 6 weeks.
    Once charged (charger disconnected), I get a red light when I switch the safety to 'off' (move safety switch up) i.e. rifle ready to fire. Once fired, I have the system set to beep and flash the red light until I switch the safety switch down again to 'on' safe. This function is an option in the menu system. You can use other options that do not use this.
    I am sure you will find a manual by a google search.

Cheers, Phil

Cheers for that, everything seems normal to unplugging then it's all dead whatever position switch is in?. John
    snarepeg.

Another point to check is the charger voltage as its doesn't sound like a DS one, so it could be supplying the wrong voltage/amps too much and it will muller the battery too little and it will never charge.
    Mine supply's about 17 volts with no load but the voltage will change when loaded with a battery.

Not sure if you have done this but a check on the battery voltage should be done to see what voltage the batteries are giving.
    I have an old battery from my MK3 here and it is a NiMh one, 4.8v 600mAh. So two batteries would supply 9.6v. I am pretty sure I have been told the rifle will function at a lower voltage though ... maybe just under 9v? (I know someone who uses a 9v standard PP9 type cell). If you have a volt meter, test each battery individually as one failed battery will throw everything out.
    And, awkwardly ... you couldn't have a dry soldered joint could you?
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Not sure if you have done this but a check on the battery voltage should be done to see what voltage the batteries are giving.
    I have an old battery from my MK3 here and it is a NiMh one, 4.8v 600mAh. So two batteries would supply 9.6v. I am pretty sure I have been told the rifle will function at a lower voltage though ... maybe just under 9v? (I know someone who uses a 9v standard PP9 type cell). If you have a volt meter, test each battery individually as one failed battery will throw everything out.
    And, awkwardly ... you couldn't have a dry soldered joint could you?
    Cheers, Phil
    I was just going to suggest doing away with the Daystate batteries and instead connect up a pp9 battery. You can get the connectors from Maplins with 2 wires attached and then solder straight to the pcb where the Daystate batteries were soldered. I did this a few years ago on a mk3 and just changed the battery when flat. I used to get approx 1500 shots per Duracell battery or you could also consider a rechargeable pp9 battery so you can still charge as normal but be prepared to charge more often as you will have less shots with a rechargeable
    Last edited by S Hebby; 07-06-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Cthanks for the suggestions gents.
    Will find someone with a volt meter who knows how to work it.
    Dry soldered joint Phil, well I cleaned and fluxed them and they are solid.
    Will try the 9 volt direct to conecters.
    Have started charging again, pressed trigger put nonection in red light beeped 6 times and it's showing charging at the wall and flashing yellow.
    Not holding my breath but something s littleitdifferent. Reg. john
    snarepeg.

Gentlemen.
    We have lift of, it's working and I am one happy old bunny.
    Thanks to everyone's input,
    Seems pressing the trigger before inserting charger then counting beeps to 6 then release trigger has done something.
    On removing charger, I took safety catch of and red strobe lit up, it never did that before.
    Touch trigger and discharged good.
    This rifle hasn't been charged to my knowledge for at least 3 years but still hollding air😊😊😊.
    Thanks to all for going through this with me, certainly keeps the mind occupied.

John
    snarepeg.

Glad to hear it seems sorted, I am presuming you already have this? it does include the explanation of the programing.

http://www.daystate.com/manuals/Mk3_June2004_X2.pdf
    Last edited by Tricky-Ricky; 08-06-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Yes thanks Rick, not much. I havntread over last few days.
    Shoots very nice, will fit a silencer at some time, magazine on order and good to go. John
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    Yes thanks Rick, not much. I havntread over last few days.
    Shoots very nice, will fit a silencer at some time, magazine on order and good to go. John
    Been keeping an eye on your progress as these guns really are awsum, I'm really happy for you, I've had the mk3 and air wolf , The electric settings are different on different boards , Saying that my wolf was different from all manuals I came across but worked them out in the end, It may have acciddntly gone into some more which needed resetting or changing, But really happy for you bud,

Relapse chaps.
    Fired a few shots then nothing.light on safety but no power to trigger.
    Back on charge for a couple of hours and fireing again but have new batteries arriving tomorrow. Question, what charge is your charger pushing out, mine is 17???? John
    snarepeg.

A no load voltage of 17v is fine, is the voltage and miliamp output not marked on the charger? the voltage will change when the battery is connected, and will depend on its charge state, but its the miliamps that are the critical part as the battery's wont last if its too high, you need to find out what the charger your using is, mine and i am pretty sure its the original is marked
    Startronics and is 12v 500mA the plug orientation is also important the center pin is the positive + and the outside negative -

If you current battery's are then charging them is a waste of time as you have found out.

Thanks for that Ricki.
    When I took the stock of (again) one of the batteries had cooked, and was insegments, the plastic covering had split, but it was fireing fine but have taken them out, as new ones should be here today?

Have tried a 9 volt battery temporarily fitted and it worked in a fashion,I E it lit the safety then fired then didn't a few times then did.

I put this down to A, a long piece of wire from battery to gun, and it was stainless so wouldn't conduct very well..??

It's all educational when alls said and done, will check the charger and report on results. John
    snarepeg.