Thread: Just did a little tune on my Standard...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Just did a little tune on my Standard...

Bought it a kepton the time before last, put a comple of shots through and found it a bit hard and slammy, but never had chance to give it a once over before...

The piston was a bugger to remove - was a nice fit initially, then got really tight. realised the dint on the cylinder has actually bent the tube in a bit at that point, so some emery on a dowel was required to relieve the inside bump.
    Leather seal was fair, so left alone - just a drop of neatsfoot
    Piston weighs a ton - just way OTT - so I chopped 45 grams off the back. It's still too heavy, but a big improvement.
    The transfer port is silly huge. 13mm long, and 5.5 mm dia (I'm sure they are reamed through the tap into the bore to sort the alignment) - so I made up a plug and installed to reduce it to 2.8mm. I'll probably end up reaming this out a bit to around 3.0 or 3.2, but easier to start small and ream.
    Found a spring that was a tighter fit on the guide - still way too loose - but it wasn't rattling around. That guide is so skinny, I need to find some tube to sleave it up.
    Made up a small top hat to centralise the spring in the piston. Will do a sleave later.

Spring is softish / weak, so nice easy cocking.

First few shots after the major dieseling subsided were very good. Much, much softer, less recoil, faster, but no slam; literally transformed the shot cycle. Chrono around 9FP but once it's bedded in I will ream the port a fraction and see what the affect is.

The big thing here is clearly the port (and the piston weight).

I'd probably not mess so much with a very nice condition gun, but as this was a bit untidy (I deliberately buy them that way, as I like to shoot them, not polish them) I'm very pleased with the results
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 02-06-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.