Thread: Wallhanger muzzleloader

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Wallhanger muzzleloader

My mum has just told me my step dad has always wanted an old rifle to hang on the wall?
    Fathers day is coming up so I am hatching a plan! Can someone please tell me of a suitable rifle that is common enough not to be expensive, interesting enough to be cherished and old enough to not require a licence.

Many thanks in advance.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    My mum has just told me my step dad has always wanted an old rifle to hang on the wall?
    Fathers day is coming up so I am hatching a plan! Can someone please tell me of a suitable rifle that is common enough not to be expensive, interesting enough to be cherished and old enough to not require a licence.

Many thanks in advance.
    An old deactivated hammer shot gun should do nicely I would think.Cheap too.Also a deact Chinese SKS won’t break the bank200 quid or so if it doesn’t have to be muzzle loading and old
    Last edited by lew07; 03-06-2018 at 12:15 PM.

If you want a piece with history, I'd look at an Enfield P53 smoothbore. They range in price from £250 - £400.

Otherwise, as Lew07 states, a nice deactivated shotgun.

If you fancy a working shotgun but without a requiring a license, I have a nice old 12 bore pinfire side-by-side shotgun. Cased it's £475 (mahogany with brass circular drop handle). Without case, it's £295.

nick@njcreative.co.uk

Martini Henry is quite iconic due to Zulu and can be hung on the wall as an ornament. Unless you want to shoot it then of course it needs to be locked in a steel cabinet

I had a chance at a captured and recaptured, Arab, martini Henry once, but I missed out... I was absolutely daft!
    It was decorated with silver wire and studs.. absolutely cracking...
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I had a chance at a captured and recaptured, Arab, martini Henry once, but I missed out... I was absolutely daft!
    It was decorated with silver wire and studs.. absolutely cracking...
    If it makes you feel better, it may (probably) have been a fake. Thousands of Kyhber pass copies are on the market, most are polished white and feature decoration of sorts. I got my fingers burnt on a fake MK1 and I'd been collecting for years! It was very good.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Martini Henry is quite iconic due to Zulu and can be hung on the wall as an ornament. Unless you want to shoot it then of course it needs to be locked in a steel cabinet

Ooh, now that sounds interesting....
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Ooh, now that sounds interesting....
    Try Mike Noble. His prices are fair.
    mjnoble.co.uk
    http://www.mjnoble.co.uk/catalogue.asp

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Anything obsolete calibre. I've got a very nice 7 bore wildfowling piece hanging in my kitchen.

I had a couple of the martinis with silver work. Sold them at holts a couple of years ago. Not expensive at all, mine fetched about 200 each.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Could well be a few at Kempton....

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    If you want a piece with history, I'd look at an Enfield P53 smoothbore. They range in price from £250 - £400.

Otherwise, as Lew07 states, a nice deactivated shotgun.

If you fancy a working shotgun but without a requiring a license, I have a nice old 12 bore pinfire side-by-side shotgun. Cased it's £475 (mahogany with brass circular drop handle). Without case, it's £295.

nick@njcreative.co.uk
    Why have a smoothbore P53? They are all Section 58 - if not a replica, of course. In this country a replica of a muzzleloader is treated as if it was a .50cal Barratt....

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Why have a smoothbore P53? They are all Section 58 - if not a replica, of course. In this country a replica of a muzzleloader is treated as if it was a .50cal Barratt....

tac
    Only because he wanted something that wasn't too expensive. A rifled version will be £700 upwards (I know, I have many). A smoothbore version would be half the price but still have oodles of history.

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    If it makes you feel better, it may (probably) have been a fake. Thousands of Kyhber pass copies are on the market, most are polished white and feature decoration of sorts. I got my fingers burnt on a fake MK1 and I'd been collecting for years! It was very good.
    This was definitely original. It was in bad condition and the patina on the action matched the woodwork and silver..
    The lad who had it thought it was dodgy and had it stashed in a hockey bag under the floor if his shed! He was so dodgy it put me off... I later called him back but he had changed his mind about swapping it... he never answered my calls after that!? Gutted
    Donald