Thread: Scope advice

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?

Scope advice

Hi guys I’ve never posted in this section before, I’ve always been a proficient spring gun shooter in my 30m garden.
    I’ve just acquired an hw100 and mounted a 5-14 ao hawke eclipse scope to it.
    My question is would I be better to have it on full magnification which seems to exsaggerate the tiniest movement or have it lower magnification to reduce this effect?
    Until a couple of days ago I’d never shot a pcp and want to get the best out of it, any advise would be gratefully received.
    Thanks,
    Pete.
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Hi Pete

It really is down to you. You decide what you think it best, that's what is important, there is no right on wrong on this one, just preference.

For me at 30m I'd be using full mag, especially if rested, you can really see what's happening and should be able to pick out individual pellet strikes on paper. I don't see any advantage on a range at 30m for a wider field of view?, and if your standing - 14x is still not too bad at that range steadiness wise, but try it, and if you feel it's a bit too wobbly just dial it down a bit, try 10, then 8 - you will soon decide for yourself which is best.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    Thanks for info James it’s kind of what I was expecting, I reckon it’s mostly down to practice and time.
    Cheers,
    Pete.
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?