Thread: 44 mag reduced loads

44 mag reduced loads

Hi,

Up till recently I have been using a standard load for my 44 mag, however the regs at the range have changed due to complaints from locals and since I'm only using it for 25 metre I need to find something lighter, does anyone habe any suggested loads?
    If I knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have been bottle feed

Yes.
    5.2gn Titegroup behind a 200g RNFP is what i am currently feeding a 16in Rossi.
    Very light.

What ever powder you are using in 44 mag,
    use a 44spl load in your mag case,
    a good start point,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by s.stimson View Post
    Hi,

Up till recently I have been using a standard load for my 44 mag, however the regs at the range have changed due to complaints from locals and since I'm only using it for 25 metre I need to find something lighter, does anyone habe any suggested loads?

Thats interesting, do you mean the range itself will not allow the use of full power loads or factory ammo now? or has the range certificate changed in terms of muzzle energy?

I presume it's all about reducing noise pollution then? are you using lead bullets currently and what length is the barrel? underlever or is it an LBR?

Cheers for the replys, the issue is all around minimising noise from the range, though I think it is the range owners setting the goalposts rather than a licence change, my marlin 1894 on full load does make somewhat of a boom in the former quarry. Yes currently using leads.
    If I knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have been bottle feed

Quote Originally Posted by s.stimson View Post
    Cheers for the replys, the issue is all around minimising noise from the range, though I think it is the range owners setting the goalposts rather than a licence change, my marlin 1894 on full load does make somewhat of a boom in the former quarry. Yes currently using leads.
    Yes makes sense, remember that when loading reduced loads don't go too light, secondary detonation can occur (although very rare) but also consider that the noise from the gun can be a lot to do with the type of propellant you use.

A fast burning powder that burns completely in the barrel will not continue to burn upon leaving the barrel( muzzle flash) and therefore in theory should be quieter if that is the goal.

Of course the faster burning pistol type powders also usually have a lower bulk density, meaning they fill up less of the case (back to the first point), perhaps try trailboss for this reason which is designed to give high bulk density specifically for light loads with lead bullets for cowboy action shooting.

As suggested earlier you may want to also consider using a .44 special cases from the outset.

Think ya better use the Mag case for light load

I've found 8.5gn of Unique behind a lead 240gn RNFP is a sweet shooting & accurate load.

It does make a slightly louder boom than if you load with 6.5gn or whatever, but I've found with .44 mag especially, unless you create enough pressure to seal the case in the chamber you get terrible fowling down the sides of the brass, which is a real sod to clean off.

Cheers
    Greg

Low level loads in 357 and 44mag are easy and have been done to death over the years.
    If you shoot gallery rifle comps out to 50yards that's all you would ever need.
    These loads will shoot out to 100/200 too - if you do your part.
    No need for 44 special cases just use 44mag cases.
    In 44mag use 5 to 6 grains of just about any fast burning shotgun/pistol powder.
    Vectan AS/BA10,N310/N320,Maxam CSB5, GM3 or whatever is similar burning rate.
    No need to use trailboss at that ridiculous cost!
    At my club we were bulk buying Vectan AS. 5.5gn with 240gn bullet. And it would half fill the case.
    Secondary explosion is not a consideration with fast powders in pistol cases.
    In pistol days we were using the same powders in the same cases with the same bullets for the same reasons.
    The barrel length is neither here nor there.

Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    Low level loads in 357 and 44mag are easy and have been done to death over the years.
    In 44mag use 5 to 6 grains of just about any fast burning shotgun/pistol powder.
    At my club we were bulk buying Vectan AS. 5.5gn with 240gn bullet. And it would half fill the case.
    In pistol days we were using the same powders in the same cases with the same bullets for the same reasons.

Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    Ditto! Been doing the same for half a century.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I was given 2 tubs of N320 for free and have ended on a load of 7.5 grains with a 200 Grain cast GM RNFP it’s about 1/3 of the way between a 44 special and a 44 mag load and shoots great indoor at 25 yds out of my marlin 1894 with the standard iron sights.

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

N320 is a lovely clean powder. N310 is similar but the grains are so fine they flow like water- very easy to spill.

I use Trailboss in my 45/70 good load only need 12gr in the case work out lot cheaper
    than full load i can tell ya get over 300 loads from bottle

In my 357mag loads using 3gr titegroup with 180gr TC works well
    in my Rugger 77/357 very light load work well at 50m

I use 5.5grn Unique under a 240 RNFP good out to 100m