Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable quotes.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unbelievable quotes.....

Tell us the unbelievable quotes that people have said to you... I just had a chap word for word (no mistakes or lies) say to me after me showing him some pictures of a commpression tube of a 77....

"When we were young we used to take them apart and put extra seals in them, and longer stiffer springs. At 22psi (not a mistake this is what was said) the pellets would split in half as they came out of the end of the barrel, but at 20psi you could shoot a squirrel right between the eyes and it would go straight through, no word of a lie straight through"

Mmmmmmm... Anyone had an issue with pellets splitting at the end of the barrel when at "22psi"?!

Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Back in the 80s at Daystate they used .22 bullet heads on the higher power pcps (30ft lbs +) because the pellets of the day couldn't handle the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    Back in the 80s at Daystate they used .22 bullet heads on the higher power pcps (30ft lbs +) because the pellets of the day couldn't handle the power.
    Splitting in half??? Or just inaccurate?
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Splitting in half??? Or just inaccurate?
    They said the pellets disintegrate if I recall correctly. This could have been the hubris of an engineer talking to an enthusiastic young boy!

IIRC the RWS Barracuda was developed for the HW35 Barracuda - the one with the ether (or similar) fuel injected directly into the cylinder. This was because it blew the heads off normal pellets.

ATB
    Ian

(or it could be folklore. )
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Nothing to do with shooting, but my late Grandmother god bless her once said!

"That's as yellow as an orange"

Tell us the unbelievable quotes that people have said to you... I just had a chap word for word (no mistakes or lies) say to me after me showing him some pictures of a commpression tube of a 77....

"When we were young we used to take them apart and put extra seals in them, and longer stiffer springs. At 22psi (not a mistake this is what was said) the pellets would split in half as they came out of the end of the barrel, but at 20psi you could shoot a squirrel right between the eyes and it would go straight through, no word of a lie straight through"

Mmmmmmm... Anyone had an issue with pellets splitting at the end of the barrel when at "22psi"?!

Rhys
    Back as a youngster i had a pretty mean hw80. 22ftlb. I tried marksman pellets in them and after several attempts i failed to hit a paper target at 15yards. Then i noticed a shot gun sort of pattern. It was blowing the shit marksman pellets apart. Anybody who used them knows they are utter crap pellets so if the guy ment 22ftlbs them yes i believe his story as they might be simular shit pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    They said the pellets disintegrate if I recall correctly. This could have been the hubris of an engineer talking to an enthusiastic young boy!
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Back as a youngster i had a pretty mean hw80. 22ftlb. I tried marksman pellets in them and after several attempts i failed to hit a paper target at 15yards. Then i noticed a shot gun sort of pattern. It was blowing the shit marksman pellets apart. Anybody who used them knows they are utter crap pellets so if the guy ment 22ftlbs them yes i believe his story as they might be simular shit pellets.
    Well well, maybe not a rediculous quote then... You learn something new everyday.
    Thanks for your input.

Well well, maybe not a rediculous quote then... You learn something new everyday.
    Thanks for your input.
    Even if the pellets were falling apart I am still intrigued to know where the extra seals were required?!?!?!?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Yep, can relate to this.......

Back in the mid-eighties I met this chap and we became friends for many years. Not a bullshitter and a very accomplished shot with Airguns and also at club level with .22 rimfire rifles and pistols.

He liked his power........and "got into" tweaking Innovas, Aces, Sheridans, Setras etc.......With the Innova he'd use 15 pumps and I witnessed the chrono readings.....686fps with 21.5 grain Barracudas. And accurate, too! He had commented on poor accuracy with many other lighter pellets and did, I'm pretty sure, say that some had stripped skirts etc. He even often used to use .22 short bullet heads in the Innova.

As for the "psi" remark, yes, I had the misfortune of coming across a clown who had told me that he had also tweaked his Innova (again!) and for an almighty "30psi power"!!!!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Strangely they were superb in my Hatsan striker .25 only a couple of years back

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Strangely they were superb in my Hatsan striker .25 only a couple of years back
    This was a longtime ago mr angry. Marksmans back then were mis-shaped. Headless and a load of swarf in the tin all free of charge

This was a longtime ago mr angry. Marksmans back then were mis-shaped. Headless and a load of swarf in the tin all free of charge
    You right there, The old iron mongers used to sell them loose and would scoop them up with a metal scoop, Quite often some would be in half or heads missing,

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    You right there, The old iron mongers used to sell them loose and would scoop them up with a metal scoop, Quite often some would be in half or heads missing,
    I do think they had much lead filling inside of the head back then.as i said back then you could get away with a gun that was over power. Mine most probably blew the heads off as they went down the barrel. The milbro pellets were just as crap back then.only the webley specials put up with the power of that gun. Until the eley wasps came along.

An air rifle is at its most accurate 777 ft/s. How many times have you heard this nonsense?

A.G