Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable quotes.....

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Strangely they were superb in my Hatsan striker .25 only a couple of years back
    This was a longtime ago mr angry. Marksmans back then were mis-shaped. Headless and a load of swarf in the tin all free of charge

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    This was a longtime ago mr angry. Marksmans back then were mis-shaped. Headless and a load of swarf in the tin all free of charge
    You right there, The old iron mongers used to sell them loose and would scoop them up with a metal scoop, Quite often some would be in half or heads missing,

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    You right there, The old iron mongers used to sell them loose and would scoop them up with a metal scoop, Quite often some would be in half or heads missing,
    I do think they had much lead filling inside of the head back then.as i said back then you could get away with a gun that was over power. Mine most probably blew the heads off as they went down the barrel. The milbro pellets were just as crap back then.only the webley specials put up with the power of that gun. Until the eley wasps came along.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    I do think they had much lead filling inside of the head back then.as i said back then you could get away with a gun that was over power. Mine most probably blew the heads off as they went down the barrel. The milbro pellets were just as crap back then.only the webley specials put up with the power of that gun. Until the eley wasps came along.
    We always went for the bulldogs, I still see boxes of marksman for sale. Yes we used to as kids go into a shop then and buy shot gun cartridges. How's things have changed,

A bloke offered me a go on his air rifle, and suggested I should shoot it at some tiny pebbles that looked about 30 yards away.

me: Thanks, what's your aimpoint for those pebbles?

him: I have my scope queued in just right, so I can aim dead on for anything.

me: OK, that sounds good (), what's your zero range? ().

him: Every range.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    A bloke offered me a go on his air rifle, and suggested I should shoot it at some tiny pebbles that looked about 30 yards away.

me: Thanks, what's your aimpoint for those pebbles?

him: I have my scope queued in just right, so I can aim dead on for anything.

me: OK, that sounds good (), what's your zero range? ().

him: Every range.

Funny that, the same bloke had an old BSA.. he'd dropped it in the road & smashed the scope cap onto the turret so hard you couldn't remove it without messing up his zero !!! Lol, the cap had collapsed and was turning the turret when you try to remove it.. I'd be worried about my zero from the fall rather than turning the turret!! the irony..
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Not shooting related but knew a plum who would come up with the most boring kind of 'impressive lies' .... e.g. as a student at Hull University, he used to get a round-trip on 'the ferry across to Norway' for the free breakfast. I asked him if bacon and eggs were really worth a 36 hour journey back and forth across the North Sea; he muttered something inaudible.

An air rifle is at its most accurate 777 ft/s. How many times have you heard this nonsense?

A.G

Battery

Again not airgun related but was on a now not much used airgun forum.

Guy said he had a friend who replaced the battery on his car with a higher amp hour rating and burned out all the wiring.
    He also claimed he could rejuvenate knackered 12volt vehicle batteries and that his system was so good that he had a contract with the army to do this to all the old batteries and they were then returned into service.
    He was serious.

Lots of other crazy claims but these two were the worst.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Again not airgun related but was on a now not much used airgun forum.

Guy said he had a friend who replaced the battery on his car with a higher amp hour rating and burned out all the wiring.
    He also claimed he could rejuvenate knackered 12volt vehicle batteries and that his system was so good that he had a contract with the army to do this to all the old batteries and they were then returned into service.
    He was serious.

Lots of other crazy claims but these two were the worst.
    Now that's quite interesting actually, because to a curtain extent this could be true... Batteries in curtain instances where they haven't been charged correctly ever ( like via the single stage charging that a traditional alternators offer) can be brought back to life with proper 3 or 4 stage charging systems. Admittedly this isn't fool proof and it does depend on the type, build, & chemistry of the battery (most likely to be achieved with expensive maintainable lead acid cells because the plates are thick, the acid can be replaced and the sediment washed out) but there is some truth in this.
    I've had an expensive 12v AGM stater battery be discharged down to a resting 3v before, (which as far as lead acid goes usually means off to the graveyard at about 9.8v) come back to life and offer years of good service after that so I think it's often thought through lack of knowledge that alot of Batteries are dead before they really are...
    Interesting stuff!
    Rhys

Ps the amp hr thing is definitely BS!! Lol
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    An air rifle is at its most accurate 777 ft/s. How many times have you heard this nonsense?

A.G
    That'll be a .177 then

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post

A.G
    Good one, and absolute balls. It all depends on which gun. Some it's as low as 766. Others as high as 780.

My mate who is an RFD is often told that people owned BSA Meteors that could penetrate right through a telegraph pole ! I still have the special heavy pellets that came with the old Career 707 pcp that produced 80 ft.lb. Ordinary pellets were absolutely useless in them. In my early days of reloading I tried cast lead/antimony bullet heads in my .222 to save money, but at 3200 fps they ended up as specks of dust on a target close by.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Where do I start?!
    I used to work in pubs so I’ve heard a good few claims and tall tales (I’ve heard a few at the springer bash too but I’ll keep that quiet). I also used to teach kickboxing and have heard some cracking, ‘hardman’ tales from the doormen who used to come to learn holds and locks - not surprisingly, a lot of these types owned ‘dead powerful guns’.

Once chatted to a guy who told me his ‘Vorrich WH35’ (in 2.2 caliber) used a mainspring from an L1A1 SLR and was so powerful that it broke the spines of rabbits.

I was once told, “I’ve never used a scope in my life. I can rangefind to within six inches by eye, up to two hundred metres...”

“I can sharpen a knife really well. I used to demonstrate how sharp they were by dropping a single hair onto the blade and watching it slice it in two. By the end of the night the bar looked like a barbers shop as I’d done it so many times....”

“Feel that? Feel how much it kicks? That’s when you know you’ve got a good rifle - when they don’t kick much you shouldn’t buy them...”

“Watch what you’re doing with them rats. A bloke I used to know once fell into the canal up the road and the rats had him. They found what was left of him a few days later...”

Someone claiming to have modified a Co2 pistol, “off the Sunday market” to such a degree that it fired solid bullet heads and would blow out car tyres. The MOD came and took it away though...

I’ve met so many people who claim to be ex-snipers and ex-SAS.

My favourite remains as Bob.
    (I have to build the scene a bit to create a picture of Bob).
    There was industrial estate that backed onto the woods where we used to play as kids. Bob used to run a cafe (dilapidated static caravan, thick of grease and families of stray cats living underneath) from this estate.
    Bob was about fifty at the time, his waistline probably measured around the same figure. We never saw him in any different clothing to the heavily stained ‘chefs whites’ that he used to wear, which looked like he’d fixed a few cars in. Forty a day Bob used to get stuck into the lager around 9am and was usually half pissed by 2pm.
    We used to go in to Bobs to have a giggle and buy cans of coke (we wouldn’t touch anything that wasn’t sealed, even though Bob used to offer us opened cans that he’d, “just had a quick swing out of”, for half price).
    One day, Bob told us to gather round the Formica counter and whilst looking over his shoulder to check he wasn’t being overheard, told the following.
    “Shouldn’t tell you this as the boyos are still after me, I’m still on their list - but you’re good lads so I’ll trust you. Do you remember the Iranian Embassy stuff that was on the telly? Remember that one SAS bloke who abseiled down and swung in through the window and shot everybody? Well that was me that was - but don’t tell anyone, ok?”
    We left with our (unopened) cans and fits of laughter trying to burst out.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Where do I start?!
    I used to work in pubs so I’ve heard a good few claims and tall tales (I’ve heard a few at the springer bash too but I’ll keep that quiet). I also used to teach kickboxing and have heard some cracking, ‘hardman’ tales from the doormen who used to come to learn holds and locks - not surprisingly, a lot of these types owned ‘dead powerful guns’.

Once chatted to a guy who told me his ‘Vorrich WH35’ (in 2.2 caliber) used a mainspring from an L1A1 SLR and was so powerful that it broke the spines of rabbits.

I was once told, “I’ve never used a scope in my life. I can rangefind to within six inches by eye, up to two hundred metres...”

“I can sharpen a knife really well. I used to demonstrate how sharp they were by dropping a single hair onto the blade and watching it slice it in two. By the end of the night the bar looked like a barbers shop as I’d done it so many times....”

“Feel that? Feel how much it kicks? That’s when you know you’ve got a good rifle - when they don’t kick much you shouldn’t buy them...”

“Watch what you’re doing with them rats. A bloke I used to know once fell into the canal up the road and the rats had him. They found what was left of him a few days later...”

Someone claiming to have modified a Co2 pistol, “off the Sunday market” to such a degree that it fired solid bullet heads and would blow out car tyres. The MOD came and took it away though...

I’ve met so many people who claim to be ex-snipers and ex-SAS.

My favourite remains as Bob.
    (I have to build the scene a bit to create a picture of Bob).
    There was industrial estate that backed onto the woods where we used to play as kids. Bob used to run a cafe (dilapidated static caravan, thick of grease and families of stray cats living underneath) from this estate.
    Bob was about fifty at the time, his waistline probably measured around the same figure. We never saw him in any different clothing to the heavily stained ‘chefs whites’ that he used to wear, which looked like he’d fixed a few cars in. Forty a day Bob used to get stuck into the lager around 9am and was usually half pissed by 2pm.
    We used to go in to Bobs to have a giggle and buy cans of coke (we wouldn’t touch anything that wasn’t sealed, even though Bob used to offer us opened cans that he’d, “just had a quick swing out of”, for half price).
    One day, Bob told us to gather round the Formica counter and whilst looking over his shoulder to check he wasn’t being overheard, told the following.
    “Shouldn’t tell you this as the boyos are still after me, I’m still on their list - but you’re good lads so I’ll trust you. Do you remember the Iranian Embassy stuff that was on the telly? Remember that one SAS bloke who abseiled down and swung in through the window and shot everybody? Well that was me that was - but don’t tell anyone, ok?”
    We left with our (unopened) cans and fits of laughter trying to burst out.
    We had a guy in a local pub tell us he was ex sas once. Said he should not be telling us as the iranians might come looking for him. Funny enough he was at the embassy siege so might know your bob