Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expression age related marks

Expression age related marks

Why do people use the above expression as I have guns 30 years and older without these age related marks .All it does is put me off buying if advertised as above!!!

Every time you take out a gun to shoot you mark it in some tiny way nomatter how careful you are. I would imagine these small marks are what is known as "age related" as to bloody gert scratches and dings in the woodwork.

This is how I would describe a used but taken care of gun.
    BUT if in doubt just dont buy. There's another one just round the corner. Possibly described as "mint" when the seller has no idea what mint means.
    choice is always yours!

How would you describe your 30 year old guns?
    Last edited by Peter Dunkley; 05-06-2018 at 09:40 PM.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Maybe a more accurate description would be 'well used for 30 years' or 'rode hard and put away wet for 6 months'
    Donald

Lots of history - Dropped on rocks once a few years, and occasionally run over.

Age related marks are really scratches from bushes when out hunting or the odd knock where you have put them in or taken them out of the cabinate for the several hundreth time over the years. The word mint is far more deceptive than the "age related marks" quote. Or would you rather then say bugger all and sell you a munter. Stop whining ffs i think the people who use it are being honest. Or you could just pass a possible good gun because you dont like the use of that quote????

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Why do people use the above expression as I have guns 30 years and older without these age related marks .All it does is put me off buying if advertised as above!!!
    Then I assume your guns are still in their boxes because if taken out & used they will have signs of that use.

"age related" doesn't have to mean rust/cracks/dents or deep scratches, it just means it's not pristine.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Then I assume your guns are still in their boxes because if taken out & used they will have signs of that use.

"age related" doesn't have to mean rust/cracks/dents or deep scratches, it just means it's not pristine.
    ^^^ exactly as above.

I on the other hand hate the expression 'mint' used to describe a 10 year old gun. How can something that's second hand and has been used be mint? Unless it's never been taken out to play and in that case it's not mint but as new...

So I could refer to the Wife as age related then, hmmm I don't think I will tell her that though.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

I'd expect age related marks to refer to wear / thinning of bluing on parts frequently handled (barrel, muzzle weight, cocking lever). Or small indents on woodwork or wear to varnish is well handled areas.
    Only to be expected on rifles that have been used.

Rust or damage I wouldn't regard as age related.
    B.A.S.C. member

No my guns are not still in boxes and still no marks was brought up to look after what i have .Maybe those that knock them when getting out of cabinet cannot keep a still hand and perhaps should not be shooting anyway lol

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    No my guns are not still in boxes and still no marks was brought up to look after what i have .Maybe those that knock them when getting out of cabinet cannot keep a still hand and perhaps should not be shooting anyway lol
    So none of your guns have a single blemish no signs of rubbing or polishing around the pivot point & breach, or thinning of the lacquer where the stock rubs your shoulder or your chin rubs the stock

Yes mine get marked, where they fit the grips on the quad, catch a branch walking through the woods, from rubbing when carried on the strap or whatever else, because they're tools that get taken out & used it doesn't make them abused or mistreated

It's like people telling me my Harley should be shiny...No it should be dirty from being ridden.

I remember a guy that I met via a trail bike forum who came out trail riding ( off road motorbikes) with us . He scratched his brand new motorbike on a tree branch riding in the woods and cried like a baby ( he actually cried ) .

If your don't want to get your gun ,bike or any other items marked or damaged then you must never take them out of the wrapping or buy them in the first place

I've got age related marks. Infact, some are probably signs of abuse
    Last edited by Jonjon79; 16-06-2018 at 08:22 PM.

All of the above.

Condition

Hi Mr Charley
    You still have not answered my question.
    How would you describe your guns if you were selling?
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

It always makes me smile when a seller describes a gun as "mint" except for.... and then goes on to list pitting/scratches/other wear. Mint is pristine, as new and indiscernible from a brand new out of the box gun.

John