Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasonable care

BigEars Guest

Reasonable care

I've just had a call from the police about my airgun licence renewal. The current storage requirement is that reasonable care must be taken to prevent access by an under 18. I would have thought having no under 18s in the house which has a burglar alarm was reasonable .

Not so Police Scotland who are now interpreting this as preventing removal by under 18 burglars. I've a query away to STS on this but would appreciate informed advice.

Anyone else heard this?

They're chipping away at you - it won't be long until they demand a secure cabinet

I've got one of those cable padlock things that you can have, if it helps.
    It came with a new rifle but, I've never used it.

All of the above.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    I've just had a call from the police about my airgun licence renewal. The current storage requirement is that reasonable care must be taken to prevent access by an under 18. I would have thought having no under 18s in the house which has a burglar alarm was reasonable .

Not so Police Scotland who are now interpreting this as preventing removal by under 18 burglars. I've a query away to STS on this but would appreciate informed advice.

Anyone else heard this?
    Have you a cupboard that locks? If so there is your answer! Other than pointing out they should be responding to the burglar alarm going off....

Locked room, locked cupboard, padlocked to something solid or a cheap metal locker.

Anyone else heard this?
    Have they put that in writing - they need to if they want everyone to abide by their interpretation of the actual requirement.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Have they put that in writing - they need to if they want everyone to abide by their interpretation of the actual requirement.
    I've checked the home office leaflet they referred to and the contents are not mandatory but advisory imo.

My own view is the police are acting outside legal requirements.

One of the grey areas in the Legislation.
    Makes us responsible for the actions of Criminals.
    Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    One of the grey areas in the Legislation.
    Makes us responsible for the actions of Criminals.
    Brilliant.
    Seems to becoming the norm in the UK!
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

There go the wall hangers!
    Donald

Anyone else heard this?
    That's good all the burglars in my area are over 21 lol, more BS I think.

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Just took what's below from the Police Scotland website.

Security

It is an offence for a person in possession of an air weapon not to take reasonable precautions to prevent a person under 18 from gaining unauthorised access. You must take reasonable precautions for the safe custody of all air weapons possessed.

The Home Office has provided a brief guide to air weapon safety. This is available HERE.

The Home Office gives some simple steps as to security. The advice provided below is a good starting point for considering the security aspects of your air weapons:

• In many cases, it will be sufficient to store your air weapon in an existing, suitably robust, lockable cupboard – keeping the keys separate and secure.

• Alternatively, you could use a lock or locking device by which your air weapon can be attached to the fabric of a building, or to a fixed feature. Or you could use a security cord, lockable chain or similar device attached to a point of anchorage within the building.

• Even where children are very young, or are not normally present, it is preferable to use some form of security cord or similar device rather than simply storing your air weapon up high and out of reach.

• Anyone who already holds other firearms could use their existing gun cabinet for their air weapon, provided this does not compromise security.

• Air weapons should be stored within the occupied part of a building and not in an outbuilding, such as a garage or shed.

• If you keep a number of air weapons, you might find it useful to consider some of the security measures suggested for licensed firearms. This information can be found in the Firearms Security Handbook 2005, available on the Home Office website.

• When using your air weapon, the best advice is to keep it under close supervision at all times and to never leave it unattended.

• Where you have no option but to put your air weapon down for short periods, unload it and gather up all the ammunition. Steps should then be taken to prevent anyone from gaining unauthorised access to it. Where practicable, this could include attaching it to a fixed object using a security cord or similar device, or locking it out of sight in a car.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

And why is closing your windows locking your doors and having a burglar alarm not taking reasonable care against under 18 burglars anyway?

I agree this looks like nonsense designed to go beyond the law and chip away at air gun ownership

Save yourself some bother just get a proper cabinet, since there are no powder burners the make handy lock boxes for your pasport and other essentials.

Ora

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ora8i View Post
    Save yourself some bother just get a proper cabinet, since there are no powder burners the make handy lock boxes for your pasport and other essentials.

Ora
    The fact that it's not a legal requirement. If the law said " must be stored in a locked container" then there woiuld be no argument. I am currently taking reasonable precautions, the nearest child who might stay here is over 300 miles away.

It's the principle, dammit!!!

Maybe they are subconsciously advising you not to own a gun. Maybe wouldn't be a bad thing.