Thread: What is the best break-barrel springer available today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I would go for an HW98 personally. Very easy to strip and fettle and better build quality than the Walther in my opinion

Thanks for that, Mick, and point accepted. I looked up the article where I obtained this information and it actually referred to the reduction of vibration, which is not quite the same thing although it does point to the engineering standards.

"With regards to the cocking rod, all contact points have guides made of synthetic material backed by compression springs. This ensures perfect contact with the piston when the rifle is cocked; with the idea being that any scraping and abrasion of metal parts along with associated noise, is all but eliminated. An articulated linkage allows for the slot cut into the stock to be smaller, thus the woodwork in this area is stronger.

Vibration Reduction System
    The piston is mounted on low friction synthetic rings (in much the same way as the TX200) meaning it runs quietly with no metal-to-metal contact with the cylinder walls. In addition, Walther’s design ensures that the piston has no direct contact with the cocking rod, reducing further wear, friction, and noise.

The mainspring itself is made from specially tempered valve spring wire, and the inclusion of a full length spring guide all helps reduce vibration."

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/...es/walther_lgv

I feel suitably chastised!

Best
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Thanks for that, Mick, and point accepted. I looked up the article where I obtained this information and it actually referred to the reduction of vibration, which is not quite the same thing although it does point to the engineering standards.

"With regards to the cocking rod, all contact points have guides made of synthetic material backed by compression springs. This ensures perfect contact with the piston when the rifle is cocked; with the idea being that any scraping and abrasion of metal parts along with associated noise, is all but eliminated. An articulated linkage allows for the slot cut into the stock to be smaller, thus the woodwork in this area is stronger.

The piston is mounted on low friction synthetic rings (in much the same way as the TX200) meaning it runs quietly with no metal-to-metal contact with the cylinder walls. In addition, Walther’s design ensures that the piston has no direct contact with the cocking rod, reducing further wear, friction, and noise.

The mainspring itself is made from specially tempered valve spring wire, and the inclusion of a full length spring guide all helps reduce vibration."

Best
    A
    Hi, I've also been informed by some owners that I know and shoot with, that the trigger is not the best, certainly not up to the standards of an HW Record or AA CD.
    Again I understand that there are aftermarket units which can be fitted - some better than others - but here we go again on the round-a-bout of fettling an 'out of the box rifle' to get it 'right'.....

Cheers Steve

Yep, and as we said a little time ago, Andrew, maybe better to try as many as you can. Gun fit, weight, dimensions, balance etc are all very personal aspects and will dictate how well YOU shoot with the gun.

Once you pick one out, whichever make and model, shoot it as standard to begin with. You may be happy to leave it as is for the long term. And I know this is important to you. But after shooting it for a while you will know where any improvements should be targeted, whether they be improving the gun fit more or the firing cycle etc. Most of the quality makes are easy to work on, so if you decided to pay attention to the internals it's an easy job and just view it as personal hand-finishing which mass-production simply cannot accommodate, as opposed to it being a shortcoming.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I shoot/shot and fettle(d) nearly any HW break barrel.
    HW30S, 50, 50S, 80, 95, 95L, 98 - many in .177 but the "bigger" models in .22.

To bring ANY of this AG to an acceptable level you have to do some homework and may be take some money in your hand.

I still own and shoot one of the first a LGV-2012 CU .177 (got it 2013 s/h) and have no intention at all to sell it.
    It's by far the more refined airrifle compared to all the HW.

Had a LGV Challenger .177, a LGU CU .177 and still own and shoot a LGU Master .177 which definately is even more accurate to shoot than my LGV.

The "weaker" trigger of the WALTHER compared to the HW-Rekord is a fact (mainly out of the box) but is easily to be rectified with the standard genuine tuning-trigger-blade (for about EUR 25,--) allowing setting of stage 1 and 2.
    I recommend changing the trigger load spring against a lighter version - out of a biro cut to fit. Trigger will be perfect.
    BTW - both types Rekord, WALTHER awa any AA CD trigger will highly benefit from a proper clean, sear polish and relube.

This said I know that the LGV is a heavy piece of airgun to be lugged around in the fields but accuracywise it's the much better already OOTB tuned airgun to me.

If possible anyway - go and test in flesh.
    This will be the best way to find out what suits you.

Best
    A

No need to feel chastised, Andrew, that was not my intention, I just thought you should have the correct information before making a final decision.

I try my best not to slag off anyone's gun choice, but if advising someone on a new high end purchase I'd point them in the direction of any gun having a Rekord or CD trigger unit.

All the best Mick

Thanks Mick and I much appreciate your concerns. Actually, I am still to make the final decision but the LGV seems compelling. I am deterred that HWs now seem to require tuning after purchase. I also prefer break-barrels (being a left hander) so this rules out Air Arms.

Yes, I agree with you about the trigger mechanism although with some of these - assuming they are not too bad - I think one can learn how to adapt to them (the FWB Sport being one of these, which certainly requires learning and adapting). I think, from recollection, that one of your favourite rifles is the Longbow. Having just bought a second hand 'minter' made in Birmingham (after reading so many good remarks about it on this site), I must say that I am most impressed with its trigger. It is also accurate at long ranges too, despite the fact that I only have a small 4x magnification on it.

Thanks Mick and I much appreciate your concerns. Actually, I am still to make the final decision but the LGV seems compelling. I am deterred that HWs now seem to require tuning after purchase. I also prefer break-barrels (being a left hander) so this rules out Air Arms.

Yes, I agree with you about the trigger mechanism although with some of these - assuming they are not too bad - I think one can learn how to adapt to them (the FWB Sport being one of these, which certainly requires learning and adapting). I think, from recollection, that one of your favourite rifles is the Longbow. Having just bought a second hand 'minter' made in Birmingham (after reading so many good remarks about it on this site), I must say that I am most impressed with its trigger. It is also accurate at long ranges too, despite the fact that I only have a small 4x magnification on it.
    Hi Andrew
    I mentioned the Lgv earlier in the thread . It performs great straight out the box in .177 cal. I have most of the guns mentioned in various states of tune and all perform great. If you can get your self to the Boinger bash in September I will bring my Lgv along with me for you to have a play with. I think you already have one of the best handling and performing sub 12 ftbls air guns made, Webley's Longbow.
    Atb
    Les..

99s - 30s if you're man enough to own a medium power rifle...

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

"With regards to the cocking rod, all contact points have guides made of synthetic material backed by compression springs.

Just thought might like to see the synthetic material guide backed by compression springs, also the lgv is made by Umarex walther is a logo

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just thought might like to see the synthetic material guide backed by compression springs, also the lgv is made by Umarex walther is a logo

This is a brilliant piece of design ! on BSAs there is a bit of plastic stapled to the wood and on theobens the link just runs along a groove in the stock

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    This is a brilliant piece of design ! on BSAs there is a bit of plastic stapled to the wood and on theobens the link just runs along a groove in the stock
    The flange-bouncer on the Umarex is second to none.

Thanks for your further input, chaps.

Les, I think the Boinger bash is a tad distant from me in Sussex but shall bear it in mind and you are very kind to offer.