Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best break-barrel springer available today?

What is the best break-barrel springer available today?

I have migrated from the collectors' section, to pose a question. What do readers think is the best modern springer available? I have a pleasing collection of older rifles but am again thinking of buying a modern example. I prefer break-barrels, not least because they can be de-cocked.

Apologies if this question has been posed before! It is the sort of question anyone might ask.

The only criteria are accuracy and performance between 11-12 ft/lb. Weight is not an issue. However, I would prefer to have open sights too but this is not a criterion in itself. I would do without. Weight is not really a factor either.

I suppose most people would say HW. But should it be a 95 or an 80 (these perhaps being the best examples from this manufacturer)? Is the modern 80 better than the modern 95?

What about Diana? They produce some good engineering. Everyone goes to HW but do they overlook Diana?

I am not keen on BSA or Webley since they started manufacturing in Spain and Turkey.

Preferably, I would like good performance from out of the box. The bother of sending it away somewhere to be tuned is not viewed with enthusiasm.

Many thanks in anticipation. I hope the conflicting views do not create too much controversy!

Mmmmmmm......lots of questions there, Andrew, and you're sure to get numerous varied responses.

Yes, the mighty HW certainly offer a good range of high quality, robustly engineered rifles with precise shooting characteristics.

You would be able to de-cock various underlever rifles, if you wanted to include some of those on the list.

The newer Diana rifles seem not to attract so many favourable comments these days due to reported quality issues.

The best rifle for you will be the one from a number of quality rifles which suits YOU in terms of balance, weight, feel and dimensions, so you could really do with trying a number of rifles. Intended use plays a huge part, too. So, for example, that heavy more "targetised" rifle which shoots so superbly from a bench or other static position may not be your perfect hunting partner if you're trudging round fields for long periods.

Many of the "top-end" springers are not supplied with open sights.

Some HWs do exhibit refined charcteristics out of the box. Even the ones that seem less refined will, however, shoot very accurately. Many will do a quick home fettle to make them more refined, but there will be many thousands of them out there delivering super performance and pride of ownership that are standard. I have many HWs, some professionally tuned, some home fettled, some standard.

The recent Walther models do find favour amongst many shooters and, generally, display very refined manners out of the box.

The rifles I'd be putting on the shopping list would be - Weihrauch HW98, 95, 99, 35, 80, 77 and 97. A mix of break barrels and underlevers there.

Air Arms TX200 - underlever.

Walther LGV and LGU.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    For shooting pleasure per pound spent a fettled HW30S is the best. Fettling it is part of the fun.

Otherwise get a Walther LGV, the other Weihrauchs are the same as they have been for a while except they have horrible writing stamped on the receivers, and Diana has too many cost-cutting measures in the mix.

Yes, sorry, I omitted the lovely little 30S from my list. Beautifully accurate little rifle and its most forgiving nature make its fine accuracy potential easily accessed. A top, top choice if "close to the limit" power isn't a prerequisite but you desire short to medium range finesse.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Gosh, TonyL, that is a detailed reply - thank you. To answer your question, it should be an all rounder - both for targets and for vermin.

I am sorry to learn that Diana has quality control issues these days. They have a great pedigree and produced the wonderful Original 45 40 years ago - still a rifle somewhere at the top of most collectors' lists.

Most underlevers seems to have an anti-bear trap device. I suppose my preference is break-barrel.

I was put off Walther after reading, on the forum, that the transfer port was too narrow and that, consequently, pressure was placed on the spring after a few hundred shots. There was quite some discussion over this.

Andrew, the TX200 can be de-cocked. As can the 77 and 97 after the "ABT" has been removed, which is a simple job. So, if that was the issue over the underlevers, don't let it put you off.

Although I am an unashamed HW fan, most LGVs that I have tried have impressed. I think most of the "issues" re weakening springs related more to the LGU underlever? Maybe down to the port choking, maybe a dodgy batch of springs.

Jim Tyler has written an excellent piece for this month's Airgun World on the LGV which is well worth a read.

Many report a preference for the HW Rekord and AA CD triggers over the Walther unit.

if it were possible for you to get to The Boinger Bash, you'd be able to see and try many of these rifles and talk to the many enthusiastic owners who will be there and gladly share their knowledge and views.

Andrew

Tony has nailed it on current models. Except the HW35, which should never be bought new (except maybe the funky new nickel one). Get an old walnut E or L.

Honestly, you would be better off buying a classic from 1980-2000ish. Diana 34/36/38 or 45. HW85/35/80/99/50/30. Webley Omega/Tomahawk/Longbow (no iron sights on the last 2). Birmingham BSA Supersport or Mercury S or Challenger. BSF S55, 60 or 70. Annie 335. Etc. Usually cheaper than a new gun, and will hold value.

Nothing has improved in production springers in the last 15 years, and a number of manufacturers (Diana, BSA, HW) appear to have cut corners or shown QC issues, while others (Webley) have folded.

Hi just throwing something else into the mix, what about the thunder interceptor review by Giles here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtU6LWHXHnA

Its quite and seems accurate and tough a bit heavy by the looks, but its modern/

The other option is the Hamerlli 800 Blackout.. again a review here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUbbwLV8Igk

Both look good if tactical is your thing, I prefer the 800 in design, light and easy to use, and looks to be very accurate.

My favorite cockers are the FWB Sport .22 and a BSA mercury custom both are nail drivers at 30 yards 1p pieces dont stand a chance at 30 yards, the HW's just behind in accuracy for me as springers, but they are heavier to use of the arm.

Not tried either reviewed by Giles but at some point I'll get the 800 cause it could be a modern classic in the future.

Hope this helps and not muddies the waters.

ATB

Diana is now having their rifles made in Bulgaria ( maybe not all of them ).

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by kash2001 View Post
    Hi just throwing something else into the mix, what about the thunder interceptor review by Giles here...

The other option is the Hamerlli 800 Blackout.. again a review here.

Not tried either reviewed by Giles but at some point I'll get the 800 cause it could be a modern classic in the future.

Hope this helps and not muddies the waters.

ATB
    The reviewer gets 3/4" groups at 20 yards with a 'tuned' version of the 800. That is barely accurate enough for rats at that range, at 30 yards its going to be an inch and more, just like it was 1982 all over again. It's a cheap Chinese copy of a Diana and by the evidence of the nasty Phillips-screw mounted 'recoil stop' it has almost no chance of becoming a classic, and plenty of being recycled into another Chinese disposable product. These Hammerlis have nothing to do with the finely made Swiss/German air and CO2 guns of the last century.

Great advice from everyone!

It is a good question that Geezer poses: has much changed in the past 15 years? I agree that there are some great older rifles out there; in fact, it is due to this forum that I have now collected a Webley Omega and Longbow (one of the last from Birmingham and a real minter) and an FWB 127, to add to my existing Original 45. It is just that I thought I might try something modern but perhaps there is nothing much better other than improved trigger design. All of these older rifles are accurate and perhaps nothing much has improved on this point.

I have looked at the reviews for the LGV and they are compelling.

Interesting links, Kash2001. The Hamerlli looked interesting.

I am deterred with regard to Diana, if it now makes its products in Bulgaria.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Great advice from everyone!

It is a good question that Geezer poses: has much changed in the past 15 years? I agree that there are some great older rifles out there; in fact, it is due to this forum that I have now collected a Webley Omega and Longbow (one of the last from Birmingham and a real minter) and an FWB 127, to add to my existing Original 45. It is just that I thought I might try something modern but perhaps there is nothing much better other than improved trigger design. All of these older rifles are accurate and perhaps nothing much has improved on this point.
    You say you want a break-barrel, but the best 'modern' 12 fpe springer rifle that is actually 'new' and really something special is the Air Arms ProSport. It's expensive but the design and build quality are really quite special. I had one and it could group less than 20mm at 50 yards in still air, with me shooting it off a bench. A better shooter could go smaller. There are a few niggles with it, but it comes as close as anything to the perfect factory springer. And it is beautiful.

My AA ProSport is the best available today!
    AA S400k, Weirauch HW100KT, several air pistols.

The Walther LGV is the best out there IMO!

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/wp-c...-air-rifle.jpg

ATB.

If I was to choose one, I would say the HW98 is the best break-barrel springer available today for targets and vermin.