Thread: What is the best break-barrel springer available today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Thanks for that, Mick, and point accepted. I looked up the article where I obtained this information and it actually referred to the reduction of vibration, which is not quite the same thing although it does point to the engineering standards.

"With regards to the cocking rod, all contact points have guides made of synthetic material backed by compression springs. This ensures perfect contact with the piston when the rifle is cocked; with the idea being that any scraping and abrasion of metal parts along with associated noise, is all but eliminated. An articulated linkage allows for the slot cut into the stock to be smaller, thus the woodwork in this area is stronger.

Vibration Reduction System
    The piston is mounted on low friction synthetic rings (in much the same way as the TX200) meaning it runs quietly with no metal-to-metal contact with the cylinder walls. In addition, Walther’s design ensures that the piston has no direct contact with the cocking rod, reducing further wear, friction, and noise.

The mainspring itself is made from specially tempered valve spring wire, and the inclusion of a full length spring guide all helps reduce vibration."

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/...es/walther_lgv

I feel suitably chastised!

Best
    A

No need to feel chastised, Andrew, that was not my intention, I just thought you should have the correct information before making a final decision.

I try my best not to slag off anyone's gun choice, but if advising someone on a new high end purchase I'd point them in the direction of any gun having a Rekord or CD trigger unit.

All the best Mick

Thanks Mick and I much appreciate your concerns. Actually, I am still to make the final decision but the LGV seems compelling. I am deterred that HWs now seem to require tuning after purchase. I also prefer break-barrels (being a left hander) so this rules out Air Arms.

Yes, I agree with you about the trigger mechanism although with some of these - assuming they are not too bad - I think one can learn how to adapt to them (the FWB Sport being one of these, which certainly requires learning and adapting). I think, from recollection, that one of your favourite rifles is the Longbow. Having just bought a second hand 'minter' made in Birmingham (after reading so many good remarks about it on this site), I must say that I am most impressed with its trigger. It is also accurate at long ranges too, despite the fact that I only have a small 4x magnification on it.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Thanks Mick and I much appreciate your concerns. Actually, I am still to make the final decision but the LGV seems compelling. I am deterred that HWs now seem to require tuning after purchase. I also prefer break-barrels (being a left hander) so this rules out Air Arms.

Yes, I agree with you about the trigger mechanism although with some of these - assuming they are not too bad - I think one can learn how to adapt to them (the FWB Sport being one of these, which certainly requires learning and adapting). I think, from recollection, that one of your favourite rifles is the Longbow. Having just bought a second hand 'minter' made in Birmingham (after reading so many good remarks about it on this site), I must say that I am most impressed with its trigger. It is also accurate at long ranges too, despite the fact that I only have a small 4x magnification on it.
    Hi Andrew
    I mentioned the Lgv earlier in the thread . It performs great straight out the box in .177 cal. I have most of the guns mentioned in various states of tune and all perform great. If you can get your self to the Boinger bash in September I will bring my Lgv along with me for you to have a play with. I think you already have one of the best handling and performing sub 12 ftbls air guns made, Webley's Longbow.
    Atb
    Les..

99s - 30s if you're man enough to own a medium power rifle...