Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the best break-barrel springer available today?

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    And if it were available today it would be the top contender.

Unless the Fenman was available too.....
    Fenman aint no springer (well unless I get hold of one again)
    B.A.S.C. member

Out of the box no twang to fettle then you need to look at the walthers, Diana gas ram or a HW90 gas ram. All the HW spring powered rifles need tweeks to sort but will be great once done, maybe buy one already tuned from somewhere like Sandwell field sports.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    Mr Bum

I have both of the above with the reduced bore V-Mach conversion - 80 and Pro Elite.

The reduced bore conversions are in a class of their own!

I also have a 98 & 80 with reduced stroke - which come a very close second, although my ProSport is rather sweet as well straight from the box apart from TB guide and top hat.

I'm trying to fettle a TX 200HC to get near to the above.....as yet it doesn't.
    You are clearly a man of taste I have a 25mm Pro Elite and a 24mm HW80 - love them both. And a reduced stroke 85 (proper old school 95) - also excellent.

For the HC, the tune is simple.. Throw away the heavy piston weight, and reduce the piston itself to around 200g. Get a longer latch rod made up (ISP do them) and set the stroke for 86mm (if .177, std mk2 83mm for .22). To make it a little softer, sleeve the trans port down from 3.8 to 3.4, or shorten it. If you have the lathe skills, a new piston nose and an HW seal is the icing on the cake (but needs to be done before you trim the piston rod). Trust me, that'll put it into the right zone

Finally, whilst no springer, the HW90 is a great shooter. I do worry slightly about the trigger, but no more so that the Walther's. It's just not Rekord / CD class.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hi i have not got a Walther LGV, but i have got the LGU and comparing the LGU and the AA TX200 that i have just obtained (Which has had the piston guide and top hat replaced with close fitting delrin ones) that the LGU is still the better to shoot, They both can be De-cocked quite easily and are both very accurate. But if you still want to go Break Barrel then i think the LGV. Don't forget that there are also the LGV's stable mates (The Century smooth but a bit more kick from that 30mm innards, the Terrus not quite as well tuned but a lot cheaper, Classus a bit higher in price but like the LGV and Terrus can be got with open sights. The LGV and Century both benefit from the fantastic barrel lock up system, So there is no need to hit the barrel to open it and when it is shut it is rock steady no droop. The only down side is the trigger but after a few minuets polishing the sears the setting up all is well.
    As you might notice i am a fan of Walther.

All the best with your choice the one thing to note is its "YOUR CHOICE" hold some shoot some if you can enjoy the chase of a new gun.

All the best Graham.

Hw99

An HW99 with a little tune end of

HW80, 95, 98, 99, 30, in that order.

Man of few words.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    You are clearly a man of taste I have a 25mm Pro Elite and a 24mm HW80 - love them both. And a reduced stroke 85 (proper old school 95) - also excellent.

For the HC, the tune is simple.. Throw away the heavy piston weight, and reduce the piston itself to around 200g. Get a longer latch rod made up (ISP do them) and set the stroke for 86mm (if .177, std mk2 83mm for .22). To make it a little softer, sleeve the trans port down from 3.8 to 3.4, or shorten it. If you have the lathe skills, a new piston nose and an HW seal is the icing on the cake (but needs to be done before you trim the piston rod). Trust me, that'll put it into the right zone

Finally, whilst no springer, the HW90 is a great shooter. I do worry slightly about the trigger, but no more so that the Walther's. It's just not Rekord / CD class.
    Hi John

Many thanks for your tips on my TX200HC 0.177

I have fitted a Mk 2 Piston, factory Mk2 spring, TB spring guide and Top Hat and fitted a standard AA Seal - I was using a V-Mach seal previously.

This morning the change in feel of the TX, just by changing to a standard AA seal was unbelievable compared to the set up using the V-Mach seal.

I shall continue with the journey by reducing the piston weight and making the mods to the TP.

Cheers Steve

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    Hi John

Many thanks for your tips on my TX200HC 0.177

I have fitted a Mk 2 Piston, factory Mk2 spring, TB spring guide and Top Hat and fitted a standard AA Seal - I was using a V-Mach seal previously.

This morning the change in feel of the TX, just by changing to a standard AA seal was unbelievable compared to the set up using the V-Mach seal.

I shall continue with the journey by reducing the piston weight and making the mods to the TP.

Cheers Steve
    OK, good. If you still find it a little "harsh" after the weight loss and TP mod, then the last thing guaranteed to soften it even more is to increase the stroke 3 mm... just soften the loctiite holding the piston rod in, remove and clean up the (m10) threads, then reinstall the rod deeper into the piston, i.e. with 3mm poking out the front - then trim off this excess, loctite into position, job done
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    OK, good. If you still find it a little "harsh" after the weight loss and TP mod, then the last thing guaranteed to soften it even more is to increase the stroke 3 mm... just soften the loctiite holding the piston rod in, remove and clean up the (m10) threads, then reinstall the rod deeper into the piston, i.e. with 3mm poking out the front - then trim off this excess, loctite into position, job done
    Many thanks...Will do.

Cheers Steve

Many thanks to all you kind fellows who have responded with your thoughts, which I have carefully read.

It sound as if many of the leading brands have cut corners these days, to save on costs.

It seems to me that the AA Pro-Elite is a contender and is highly accurate and very well produced, albeit expensive. The HW80 is another contender but perhaps the 2nd hand models are better, before corners were cut in a bid to save costs. And, not least, the Walther LGV. I was doubtful about it because I had read that the spring was placed under pressure, with limited life expectancy, due to the narrow transfer port. However, I gather this was the case for the LGU, not the LGV. The LGV is also well supported here, which is no small achievement! Being down in Sussex, it is difficult to find a shop with a range where all these various models can be tested. I would certainly like to try the LGV.

I think I must have amongst the best of the older air rifles, including the FWB127, Original 45, Webleys Longbow and Omega - with much of the inspiration to purchase these coming from this forum. Anything that can beat that lot must be rather special!

depends what you want from it if you like tinkering don't buy the LGV

If it's .177 then the answer is simple.

The LGV.

And the underlever LGU is better than either the TX200, Prosport, HW97 or 77.

Some of you may not agree with me, but my opinion is based on having owned every one of them.

Yea, the trigger is crap compared to the AA or Rekord, but even with their crap triggers, the Walthers will outshoot both AA and Weihrauch.

Unbelievable though it may sound to some of you, Umarex actually managed to get it just right for the 12fpe market.

Sorry, but there it is.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    If it's .177 then the answer is simple.

The LGV.

And the underlever LGU is better than either the TX200, Prosport, HW97 or 77.

Some of you may not agree with me, but my opinion is based on having owned every one of them.

Yea, the trigger is crap compared to the AA or Rekord, but even with their crap triggers, the Walthers will outshoot both AA and Weihrauch.

Unbelievable though it may sound to some of you, Umarex actually managed to get it just right for the 12fpe market.

Sorry, but there it is.

Umarex has shown remarkable imagination entering the market relatively recently and ultimately so successfully with these models.I was initially sceptical of them,but now have all three,(LGV,LGU and Century)!

It would be nice to see AA show similar imagination and introduce a break barrel......,but I doubt they will!
    Last edited by mrto; 18-06-2018 at 08:36 AM.

AA is a much smaller outfit.

Umarex owns Walther and several other companies.

It's a big player with its fingers in many different pies.

I heard a rumour that Umarex Walther was going to use another UK importer. Is this true?
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 18-06-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Still the HW80 is hard to beat followed by the HW35E.
    Daystate Renegade .177,Daystate Forester LE .22,Daystate Huntsman Classic .177,Daystate Huntsman Regal .177,Daystate Bullpup 2000 .177,Weihrauch HW45 Custom .22,Weihrauch Silverstar .22,Weihrauch HW77K SE .22,Weihrauch HW35E .22.