Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is the best break-barrel springer available today?

I've had most of the 80's springers, 40 plus.
    I sill like my FWB Sport, Original 45, and Webley Omega, which are all sporting weight break barrel rifles. HW have on thing that no one has ever matched: the Rekord Trigger. Its a fantastic trigger mechanism. However in the past their break barrels like the HW35E were heavy, the HW80 super heavy,.
    To tame a spring rifle then its should have smooth internals to start and that either from the factory or from tuning. Next, if you want the power then add weight to tame it as in a HW80. But at that weight then you may as well go fixed barrel. The best shooting spring powered rifles are fixed barrel heavy underlevers with great triggers. TX2000, LRU, or AA Prosport are all front runners with their followers. But wow are they heavy.

So we don't want to go there, we want a fast shooting break barrel thats accurate.

I'm not saying this is the best, but I ended up and delighted with a .177 HW95 Luxus, fully in house VMach tuned beauty. It was second hand but like new. Its fitted with a very bright parallax correct 6x40 Tasco scope. Fantastic trigger, quiet and smooth action, very much sporting light weight, and handles beautifully. Its also extremely accurate. It can do one 5 pellet hole at 25m.
    But it is a springer and being light weight will punish you target end is you faff about when shooting it. For some reason its quite cheek weld weight sensitive when benchrest bag shooting. Like all sporting springers they prefer being shot freehand and thats how I've set this one up. Its to shoot standing, fast for fleeting targets, at farmyard ranges. A joy to shoot. To me its a better FWB Sport or Omega, though at times still a little demanding. Heck, aren't they all?

my favourite b/b at the moment is my hw 95 .20 with a barrel from Rapidnick on here,
    thanks Nick it shoots great at just under 11fpe its very accurate , ,my 2nd fav b/b is my hw98 but in .22 cal it also shoots and handles well.
    atb brian

Hi there yes Arthur i was talking with a local dealer and they are going to use a different importer the same dealership as AA are using and they told me that AA are not happy about this so they are changing dealer networks due to Walther having the LGU which is a "copy" of the TX. All the best Graham.

I really like brake barrels and have had many and still have 6 in my collection.

A sorted HW99 is very hard to beat - mine is as accurate as my HW77 hft rifle (and easier to be accurate with) and and more accurate than any other springer I own. A .22 will run at 11fpe and shoot very nicely (or run at 10.5 even better and you wont notice the difference!). Decent open sights, better trigger than a walther, and its not a great heavy lump.

I should qualify what I mean by accurate - sub MOA groups are entirely within its capability.

It may not be glamorous but it fulfills your criteria and if you want to put it into a sexier stock you can (although it handles nicely as standard).

Thank you, all, for your further thoughts on this, all most compelling.

I gather, referring to one post here, that the importer/agent for Walther is Armex. I am not aware that they are being changed.

I am inclined towards a break-barrel both because I am left handed and the loading mechanism is designed for right handers on most under-levers. Second, I like to de-cock the rifle in the field, if it is not to be fired. I appreciate the anti-bear device can be overridden on some makes of rifles.

I am inclined towards the Walther LGV, as a result of what I have read here. The only criticism I have read relates to the weight, although this has advantages too in terms of the recoil. However, it does seem that Walther has genuinely brought new technology into its design, in terms of the anti-recoil mechanism, which dampens the firing cycle. The rifle, it seems, is also extremely accurate.

Not least, I am not technically minded and prefer a rifle that shoots well out of the box. It seems that HWs have cut so many corners that tuning is now necessary to get the best from them but, when it comes to those such as me, who want a performer straight out of the box, this can only come at a cost to sales.

One is, of course, a little worried that Walther will try to cut corners to save on costs, in due course. Perhaps better to buy now rather than later! I shall see if I can inspect a rifle somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    However, it does seem that Walther has genuinely brought new technology into its design, in terms of the anti-recoil mechanism, which dampens the firing cycle.
    Unfortunately, there is no anti-recoil mechanism on a Walther LGV, and very little in the way of new technology either --- that all sounds very much like marketing bollocks to me, Andrew, so please don't get taken in by it.

All the best Mick

I would go for an HW98 personally. Very easy to strip and fettle and better build quality than the Walther in my opinion

Thanks for that, Mick, and point accepted. I looked up the article where I obtained this information and it actually referred to the reduction of vibration, which is not quite the same thing although it does point to the engineering standards.

"With regards to the cocking rod, all contact points have guides made of synthetic material backed by compression springs. This ensures perfect contact with the piston when the rifle is cocked; with the idea being that any scraping and abrasion of metal parts along with associated noise, is all but eliminated. An articulated linkage allows for the slot cut into the stock to be smaller, thus the woodwork in this area is stronger.

Vibration Reduction System
    The piston is mounted on low friction synthetic rings (in much the same way as the TX200) meaning it runs quietly with no metal-to-metal contact with the cylinder walls. In addition, Walther’s design ensures that the piston has no direct contact with the cocking rod, reducing further wear, friction, and noise.

The mainspring itself is made from specially tempered valve spring wire, and the inclusion of a full length spring guide all helps reduce vibration."

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/...es/walther_lgv

I feel suitably chastised!

Best
    A

Thanks for that, Mick, and point accepted. I looked up the article where I obtained this information and it actually referred to the reduction of vibration, which is not quite the same thing although it does point to the engineering standards.

"With regards to the cocking rod, all contact points have guides made of synthetic material backed by compression springs. This ensures perfect contact with the piston when the rifle is cocked; with the idea being that any scraping and abrasion of metal parts along with associated noise, is all but eliminated. An articulated linkage allows for the slot cut into the stock to be smaller, thus the woodwork in this area is stronger.

The piston is mounted on low friction synthetic rings (in much the same way as the TX200) meaning it runs quietly with no metal-to-metal contact with the cylinder walls. In addition, Walther’s design ensures that the piston has no direct contact with the cocking rod, reducing further wear, friction, and noise.

The mainspring itself is made from specially tempered valve spring wire, and the inclusion of a full length spring guide all helps reduce vibration."

Best
    A
    Hi, I've also been informed by some owners that I know and shoot with, that the trigger is not the best, certainly not up to the standards of an HW Record or AA CD.
    Again I understand that there are aftermarket units which can be fitted - some better than others - but here we go again on the round-a-bout of fettling an 'out of the box rifle' to get it 'right'.....

Cheers Steve

Yep, and as we said a little time ago, Andrew, maybe better to try as many as you can. Gun fit, weight, dimensions, balance etc are all very personal aspects and will dictate how well YOU shoot with the gun.

Once you pick one out, whichever make and model, shoot it as standard to begin with. You may be happy to leave it as is for the long term. And I know this is important to you. But after shooting it for a while you will know where any improvements should be targeted, whether they be improving the gun fit more or the firing cycle etc. Most of the quality makes are easy to work on, so if you decided to pay attention to the internals it's an easy job and just view it as personal hand-finishing which mass-production simply cannot accommodate, as opposed to it being a shortcoming.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I shoot/shot and fettle(d) nearly any HW break barrel.
    HW30S, 50, 50S, 80, 95, 95L, 98 - many in .177 but the "bigger" models in .22.

To bring ANY of this AG to an acceptable level you have to do some homework and may be take some money in your hand.

I still own and shoot one of the first a LGV-2012 CU .177 (got it 2013 s/h) and have no intention at all to sell it.
    It's by far the more refined airrifle compared to all the HW.

Had a LGV Challenger .177, a LGU CU .177 and still own and shoot a LGU Master .177 which definately is even more accurate to shoot than my LGV.

The "weaker" trigger of the WALTHER compared to the HW-Rekord is a fact (mainly out of the box) but is easily to be rectified with the standard genuine tuning-trigger-blade (for about EUR 25,--) allowing setting of stage 1 and 2.
    I recommend changing the trigger load spring against a lighter version - out of a biro cut to fit. Trigger will be perfect.
    BTW - both types Rekord, WALTHER awa any AA CD trigger will highly benefit from a proper clean, sear polish and relube.

This said I know that the LGV is a heavy piece of airgun to be lugged around in the fields but accuracywise it's the much better already OOTB tuned airgun to me.

If possible anyway - go and test in flesh.
    This will be the best way to find out what suits you.

Best
    A

No need to feel chastised, Andrew, that was not my intention, I just thought you should have the correct information before making a final decision.

I try my best not to slag off anyone's gun choice, but if advising someone on a new high end purchase I'd point them in the direction of any gun having a Rekord or CD trigger unit.

All the best Mick

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

"With regards to the cocking rod, all contact points have guides made of synthetic material backed by compression springs.

Just thought might like to see the synthetic material guide backed by compression springs, also the lgv is made by Umarex walther is a logo

Thanks Mick and I much appreciate your concerns. Actually, I am still to make the final decision but the LGV seems compelling. I am deterred that HWs now seem to require tuning after purchase. I also prefer break-barrels (being a left hander) so this rules out Air Arms.

Yes, I agree with you about the trigger mechanism although with some of these - assuming they are not too bad - I think one can learn how to adapt to them (the FWB Sport being one of these, which certainly requires learning and adapting). I think, from recollection, that one of your favourite rifles is the Longbow. Having just bought a second hand 'minter' made in Birmingham (after reading so many good remarks about it on this site), I must say that I am most impressed with its trigger. It is also accurate at long ranges too, despite the fact that I only have a small 4x magnification on it.

Thanks Mick and I much appreciate your concerns. Actually, I am still to make the final decision but the LGV seems compelling. I am deterred that HWs now seem to require tuning after purchase. I also prefer break-barrels (being a left hander) so this rules out Air Arms.

Yes, I agree with you about the trigger mechanism although with some of these - assuming they are not too bad - I think one can learn how to adapt to them (the FWB Sport being one of these, which certainly requires learning and adapting). I think, from recollection, that one of your favourite rifles is the Longbow. Having just bought a second hand 'minter' made in Birmingham (after reading so many good remarks about it on this site), I must say that I am most impressed with its trigger. It is also accurate at long ranges too, despite the fact that I only have a small 4x magnification on it.
    Hi Andrew
    I mentioned the Lgv earlier in the thread . It performs great straight out the box in .177 cal. I have most of the guns mentioned in various states of tune and all perform great. If you can get your self to the Boinger bash in September I will bring my Lgv along with me for you to have a play with. I think you already have one of the best handling and performing sub 12 ftbls air guns made, Webley's Longbow.
    Atb
    Les..