Thread: Looking for American classic airguns

Looking for American classic airguns

Hi, lately I've fallen in love with American classic airguns.
    I am now looking for a Crosman 1400, and a Sheridan Super-Grade (dream on...).
    Sheridan Blue and Silver Streaks are always welcome too.
    Working or in need of attention.
    Who knows!
    Many thanks, Louis

Funny, I’m in the US and I am having a great time with my BSA Springers. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence. I have some classic American Pumpers but the early BSA’s are superior guns? Especially my BSA MK2 Airsporter, been shooting it a lot lately. The only pumper that would be comparable would probably be the Sheridan SuperGrade and at over $1200 I think it’s just way too expensive. Especially given the prices you can get BSAs and Webleys over there. Lol.
    Last edited by 45flint; 10-06-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Louis, are you back in the UK or in Netherlands ? You may be interested in my friends Sheridan 50th Anniversary C9PB. It is complete with original papers and special bag, he bought it new in the U.S when they came out. and has only fired half a dozen shots. These are a very nicely finished rifle, think they only produced a limited number of them in a polished brass finish which does not seem to tarnish.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 10-06-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    You may be interested in my friends Sheridan 50th Anniversary C9PB. It is complete with original papers and special bag, he bought in new in the U.S. and has only fired half a dozen shots. These are a very nicely finished rifle, think they only produced about 600 of them in a polished brass finish which does not seem to tarnish.

Baz
    Is that the one with the 50th anniversary medallion in the stock?
    If I remember rightly Baker Airguns had a nice boxed example for sale not so long ago -- alas in the USA!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    Is that the one with the 50th anniversary medallion in the stock?
    If I remember rightly Baker Airguns had a nice boxed example for sale not so long ago -- alas in the USA!
    That's the one, pretty rifle.

Yes, a really pretty little rifle and, I would think, a good collectors item. The one at Bakers was I think just shy of $400 plus shipping costs etc. and all the other irritating factors associated with importing an airgun to the UK.
    Just had a quick look at Bakers Airguns and he has some cracking looking guns for sale -- a couple of lovely looking Sears Roebuck versions of the Crosman 180 for instance, a few Blue Streaks and a cool nickel plated Sheridan C9.

Baker Airguns - wow, I have just been drooling over the Crosman and Sheridan vintage airguns on the website.

@45flint, I agree with you, BSA's are great. They are my main interest. However it is very interesting and mind broadening to "discover" the American designs now. I bought a Blue Streak a few weeks ago, from 1984, and I find it a lovely airgun. Well made, easy to use, light, beautiful. I think it has the "cool factor" too. For me, variety is the spice of life, and reading BB Pelletier's reports on Pyramid Air, getting in touch with UJ Backus, buying a Town & Country from a collector in Pennsylvania - it also teaches me a lot about American history, culture and art. I'd love to visit the US soon (not only for airguns haha).

@Baz, thank you for your tip. I am in Amsterdam now, but I visit England about three times a year for a couple of weeks to work in Suffolk and to collect the airguns that I've bought. Yes the Sheridan sounds interesting.

@AllanM, yes it is irritating, the whole import affair. I am doing that now with a Crosman Town & Country 108. Via a company called Airgun Exporter. I think it will work. Many friends have done it, with success. It is somewhat expensive, but for that Town & Country, I'm sure it will be worth it.

Cheers, Louis

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Baker Airguns - wow, I have just been drooling over the Crosman and Sheridan vintage airguns on the website.

@45flint, I agree with you, BSA's are great. They are my main interest. However it is very interesting and mind broadening to "discover" the American designs now. I bought a Blue Streak a few weeks ago, from 1984, and I find it a lovely airgun. Well made, easy to use, light, beautiful. I think it has the "cool factor" too. For me, variety is the spice of life, and reading BB Pelletier's reports on Pyramid Air, getting in touch with UJ Backus, buying a Town & Country from a collector in Pennsylvania - it also teaches me a lot about American history, culture and art. I'd love to visit the US soon (not only for airguns haha).

@Baz, thank you for your tip. I am in Amsterdam now, but I visit England about three times a year for a couple of weeks to work in Suffolk and to collect the airguns that I've bought. Yes the Sheridan sounds interesting.

@AllanM, yes it is irritating, the whole import affair. I am doing that now with a Crosman Town & Country 108. Via a company called Airgun Exporter. I think it will work. Many friends have done it, with success. It is somewhat expensive, but for that Town & Country, I'm sure it will be worth it.

Cheers, Louis
    I am still wondering if your T&C 108 is not the only one ever stocked in elm? Or at least the only one known? I challenge anyone to find a pic of another one.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I am still wondering if your T&C 108 is not the only one ever stocked in elm? Or at least the only one known? I challenge anyone to find a pic of another one.
    It is un stained maple; the previous owner, a collector who had the Crosman for 11 years, rejuvenated the stock. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have understood that the stocks were stained maple.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    It is un stained maple; the previous owner, a collector who had the Crosman for 11 years, rejuvenated the stock. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have understood that the stocks were stained maple.
    Yes the stocks were stained maple but yours is one of the last made given it is a thin stock, through safety with serial number, probably made 1950-1 In the 1950s they started using elm and I am sure yours is elm, I’ve seen so many elm Crosman stocks. The graining is very distinctive. I was looking at that gun on Gunbroker for a week and was thinking of buying it just because of the stock! See what others think: here is the link you sent me. Again yours is the only 108 I’ve seen, that is very cool. If it’s not the only one it is certainly one of the very few.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/...pst10gaskh.png

Classic Crosman Elm from the 1950s from the Vintage Gallery:

Last edited by 45flint; 10-06-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Yes the stocks were stained maple but yours is one of the last made given it is a thin stock, through safety with serial number, probably made 1950-1 In the 1950s they started using elm and I am sure yours is elm, I’ve seen so many elm Crosman stocks. The graining is very distinctive. I was looking at that gun on Gunbroker for a week and was thinking of buying it just because of the stock! See what others think: here is the link you sent me. Again yours is the only 108 I’ve seen, that is very cool. If it’s not the only one it is certainly one of the very few.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/...pst10gaskh.png

Classic Crosman Elm from the 1950s from the Vintage Gallery:

That is very interesting. I wasn't aware. I have seen elm stocks only a few times, on one-off designs by John Bowkett. Wych elm - normal elm was said to be too unstable.

Crosman used Elm extensively in the 1950s. My theory is at that time Dutch Elm disease was destroying all the elm trees in the US. The wood was probably dirt cheap? They used maple after WW2 cause they bought it as war surplus. They liked to make a profit.

Question

Not a Crosman but I have an old Haenel model 1 that has strange timber fitted, I was told it was Elm among other stuff!!

It's really strange, lose up it seems to resemble Oak!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Not a Crosman but I have an old Haenel model 1 that has strange timber fitted, I was told it was Elm among other stuff!!

It's really strange, lose up it seems to resemble Oak!!

John
    It does look like elm?