Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandvik Scraper for Stocks

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Sandvik Scraper for Stocks

Where can I get one of these? Just the old type which is simply a flat piece of spring steel in a rectangle shape. They only seem to sell ones with handles now, and I don't want one. Is it because of Health and Safety that they have to have a handle? I might have an old corroded one somewhere I might be able to refurbish, but I would prefer to get a new one, they should be just couple of quid, but WHERE ARE THEY?????????????

Poundland!!!!!!

Proops Wood Cabinet Scraper Carbon Steel 6" X 3" Rectangle UK Made W3344

E Bay
    Last edited by 12/200; 07-06-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Ah ... good question. I wanted to buy spare blades for a Sandvik last year but failed miserably in my quest, with many sources saying they had stopped being made several years ago.
    Cheers, Phil

https://www.axminster.co.uk/lie-niel...yABEgL3SfD_BwE

Or you can cut up an old tenon saw into squares.

The trick is in filing then burnishing the edge to a fine 'hook' with a hard rod like an old drill shank. or spend another 30 quid on a burnisher.
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 07-06-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    Poundland!!!!!!
    I tried some. Too thin unfortunately for cabinet scraping . OK for polyfilla.

TBH cabinet scrapers were made to flatten out table tops smoother than sandpaper can do - a favourite job for the apprentice. A round shape like a stock is better smoothed by modern abrasive papers and wire wool IMO.
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 07-06-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TenMetrePeter View Post
    I tried some. Too thin unfortunately for cabinet scraping . OK for polyfilla.

TBH cabinet scrapers were made to flatten out table tops smoother than sandpaper can do - a favourite job for the apprentice. A round shape like a stock is better smoothed by modern abrasive papers and wire wool IMO.
    It is for the removing varnish/scratches stage of the game rather than final finishing. Is it a favorite job to GIVE to apprentices or is it a favorite job ENJOYED by apprentices? How do they get the whole thing staying flat?

Quote Originally Posted by 12/200 View Post

E Bay
    Huzzah! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It is for the removing varnish/scratches stage of the game rather than final finishing.
    Ok. Yes they are available as in the link above.

There are plenty on here that will know how to use a cabinet scraper but it goes like this, you will need to clamp the object being scraped because a cabinet scraper is used with two hands !
    you do not use all of the straight edge, choose the side you wish to scrape with and then place four fingers on the back of the scraper at each end left and right [the surface facing away from you]
    now place both thumbs roughly in the middle near the cutting edge on the side facing you, push gently with the thumbs and pull gently with the fingers all at the same time, this puts the blade in tension with a slight arc.
    now push on the surface to be scraped with the centre of the arc, angle the scraper to get the best effect you are only scraping with the small part of the arc, practice will enable you to keep the surface flat,
    you need to run a file along the cutting edge to form a bur this is the side you scrape with, you will need to file regularly to keep the scraping edge sharp

I hope this explains the process but I dare say I have totally confused the issue

Quote Originally Posted by 12/200 View Post

E Bay
    Got the rectangle, the kidney one which is like an artists pallet and one which is concave at one end and convex at the other, all for less than a tenner.

Quote Originally Posted by leighvite View Post
    There are plenty on here that will know how to use a cabinet scraper but it goes like this, you will need to clamp the object being scraped because a cabinet scraper is used with two hands !
    you do not use all of the straight edge, choose the side you wish to scrape with and then place four fingers on the back of the scraper at each end left and right [the surface facing away from you]

now place both thumbs roughly in the middle near the cutting edge on the side facing you, push gently with the thumbs and pull gently with the fingers all at the same time, this puts the blade in tension with a slight arc.
    now push on the surface to be scraped with the centre of the arc, angle the scraper to get the best effect you are only scraping with the small part of the arc, practice will enable you to keep the surface flat,
    you need to run a file along the cutting edge to form a bur this is the side you scrape with, you will need to file regularly to keep the scraping edge sharp

I hope this explains the process but I dare say I have totally confused the issue
    That bit explaining the need to clamp the object and using both hands probably saved me loads of slips and dints! thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    That bit explaining the need to clamp the object and using both hands probably saved me loads of slips and dints! thanks.
    Filing should only be needed occasionally to start afresh.
    I run the filed edge along a diamond sharpening plate to get it dead flat and Square, then burnish the edge over into a hook both sides with the hard steel rod. Running the burnisher over it in use keeps it sharp. The difference is tiny shavings rather than powder.
    http://woodgears.ca/scraper/

Quote Originally Posted by TenMetrePeter View Post
    Filing should only be needed occasionally to start afresh.
    I run the filed edge along a diamond sharpening plate to get it dead flat and Square, then burnish the edge over into a hook both sides with the hard steel rod. Running the burnisher over it in use keeps it sharp. The difference is tiny shavings rather than powder.
    http://woodgears.ca/scraper/
    Great, got the complete protocol now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Ah ... good question. I wanted to buy spare blades for a Sandvik last year but failed miserably in my quest, with many sources saying they had stopped being made several years ago.
    Cheers, Phil
    If it is the tungsten bladed scrapers you’re referring to then you could be in luck. When Sandvik sold their saws and tools division all the tools were rebranded as Bahco. The Bahco scrapers are still available and the blades should be compatible with the older Sandvik models. Have a look on the Bay of EE.