Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
I didn't mean my post to come over negative. I am on permanent look out for them, and do snap up any mint ones I find, well the one ones I specifically want.
Forgot who I sold my last Super Moonlighter too that was pretty mint; but think I asked £200 for it.

Glass wise I'm comparing to mid range better glass such as done by Bushnell, the better Hawks like the Sidewinder, and the Zeiss Conquests. Tough competition to be compared against. Optimas just don't have the "jump" that better new glass can give.
Hakko probably made them, but Hakko had even better glass for those who wanted it. I have had the odd old Hakko that puts some modern glass to shame. Optimas over the years were made to fit the price the target market demanded. But don't get me wrong on 80's classic rifles an Optima is The scope to match them with. HW35E, Original 45, HW80 and even FWB Sport. lSome Tasco's have the same effect. The most disappointing for me were the Kassnar's which quality wise fluctuated so much from year to year; I never found one I wanted to keep.

£180 for a Super Moonlighter in above average condition isn't robbing anyone. Anyone wanting to put together a John Darling HW80 combo together should grab it.
also scopes like my pro airs and the other older phillipines made simmons scopes are still good against modern glass. i love my nikko platinum also.