Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optima Super Moonlighter Value ?

Optima Super Moonlighter Value ?

How much would you value an Optima Super Moonlighter 3-9 x 56. Excellent condition and crystal clear ?

Anywhere from 75-100 poss more if truly mint with no mount marks or scratches to the donish

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    I would say you could easily add £50.00 to the above figure, have seen some of these go for silly money on evil bay, if you do want to sell it bide your time as I am sure there will be no shortage of silly low offers.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I was offered a minter around Christmas for £160 which I was happy to pay but the vendor backed out as he said he didn't need to sell after all. 🙄

Thanks guys...the only thing missing is the original Bikini caps...flip ups instead other than that no crimps or scrapes and very clear lenses and a duplex reticle.
    Monster of a scope with a lot of quality even against today's offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    I would say you could easily add £50.00 to the above figure, have seen some of these go for silly money on evil bay, if you do want to sell it bide your time as I am sure there will be no shortage of silly low offers.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Seconded. For some of the airgun mid-life crisis generation (been there, done that), you just have to have a replica of John Darling's HW80 or whatever 80s premium springy/scopy thing you lusted after shortly before you discovered girls.

Give it a couple of years and there will be a rush of interest in buying old AA S300s and Titans. Actually that may have already started.

Hay I resemble that remark! I'm now on midlife crisis 6/7 and I'm still buying 70,s -90,s stuff, I have some serious rose tinted glasses 🙄

OOOhhh mid life crisis....I have owned my HW80 since 1984...and it's still as good as ever...used a 4x40 then before the Moonie ...I couldn't have imagined how I would ever have given my rifle up (girlies or not).....My old man and I used to have competitions shooting the heads off matches...He's gone over a decade, and my son has his shoot outs with me now...(the old man), it's like the circle of life !....Or death if a rat !

It depends on which model, I have several all different and all for varying prices. I have paid £45 - £120 depending on the condition.

Some of them resonate terribly on a tuned springer with a mod but they do look good on your vintage guns.

The same scopes were branded ASI, Apollo, Air Arms, etc.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Seconded. For some of the airgun mid-life crisis generation (been there, done that), you just have to have a replica of John Darling's HW80 or whatever 80s premium springy/scopy thing you lusted after shortly before you discovered girls.

Give it a couple of years and there will be a rush of interest in buying old AA S300s and Titans. Actually that may have already started.
    3rd'd I sold one here last year for £150, in great condition with original box & literature. It came with a big titan mpt & with the big tasco 50mm i sold too made the mpt cost me £90. (Grins smugly) the mpt got a little whitetail stuck on it straight away which suits it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    3rd'd I sold one here last year for £150, in great condition with original box & literature. It came with a big titan mpt & with the big tasco 50mm i sold too made the mpt cost me £90. (Grins smugly) the mpt got a little whitetail stuck on it straight away which suits it perfectly.
    It wasn’t last year it was the year before as I bought it and the other scope that came with your mpt but as younsay it was boxed mint condition. As said above it may go for more on but every one has their own view on what is good and mint condition.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I have never done the PCP thing, but if I did, the MPT would be at the top of my list.

My objective, logical, rigorous and wholly scientific assessment of the MPT, based on looking at pictures in magazines in the 90s, was that it was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    It wasn’t last year it was the year before as I bought it and the other scope that came with your mpt but as younsay it was boxed mint condition. As said above it may go for more on but every one has their own view on what is good and mint condition.
    yes your right guy. it was a little mpt too while we're at the corections.lol, had a senior moment there. Hope you're happy with it.

Very easy scopes to use in terms of the PA adjustments and the zoom...TBH they are like new in that respect. Crisp and clear but no box or lens caps. Flip ups fitted.

If I listed on they would need to go for around £140-50 to cover postage their fees and paypal. The cash would be minor anaesthetic as they look the part on my custom Mk1 Hw80.

John Darling would be proud !

I prefer the Moonlighter to the Super Moonlighter.

Optima ran this range from about 1982 to 19992?? There were several changes made over the years including the glass and coatings used. And then there was the BDC.
    The quality never really got better, and probably dropped a bit by the end. They were pretty dated compared to the competition by the 90's.
    Build quality was reasonable. The BDC mechanics just about usable, though can wear badly. So much so I don't use the system on mine as I don't trust them to track properly and not to to stick (the old tap the scope routine to ensure a shift).
    The PA ones are only just good enough to the point I set mine to expected range and leave having zeroes to that point.

The above are nothing unexpected from scopes of that price range and build quality of its day. They weren't Leupolds. Even modern scopes, especially bargain bucket ones, can have the same issues.

I like the fixed focused Optima examples, though these may need reparallaxing as they don't all come from the factory set for Air Rifle ranges. Wind the front lens out a turn or so using a scope rubber or custom ring wrench (cut down metal ruler). When set correctly they can give an excellent sight picture at all magnifications.
    I have three Optimas in my 80's classic collection. A 4x40 on my FWB Sport which is one of my favourite combinations of all time. And two Moonlighters. One for everyday use, and one still mint in box.
    Moonlighter prices: a very clean example 80's example then £150 wouldn't be robbing anyone. My mint I wouldn't part for less than £250 being that rare. 90's ones then take 15% 0ff; its because the final bunch just lost something somewhere along the line???? My gut feeling.

John Darling on his custom HW80 .22 used a Super Moonlighter. Just for that fact then start price for a tidy example should be £150 easy. Name your price for a mint one if an 80's version; £200 for a 90's.
    An Optima with Apel Mounts and no crimps is very classy combo for a classic. Sportsmatch mounts just aren't the same but may have to suffice.

Finally, optically they aren't that special considering the hype. When first offered then the hype might have been warranted but not later. My modern scopes really can show them up now. But to me a classic 80's rifle should have 80's glass.