Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optima Super Moonlighter Value ?

Thinking of putting it up for sale to fund another project...The lenses and light are better than the average "chinese" scopes of today....The Parallax is way better than many modern offerings. It's accurate and easy to range. The end doesn't rotate so flip up caps don't get impeded and stay put.

Turrets are fine...they are Hakko made so they are quality compared to some more modern releases Muskett.

I dare say I'd part with them for around £180 plus post.

I didn't mean my post to come over negative. I am on permanent look out for them, and do snap up any mint ones I find, well the one ones I specifically want.
    Forgot who I sold my last Super Moonlighter too that was pretty mint; but think I asked £200 for it.

Glass wise I'm comparing to mid range better glass such as done by Bushnell, the better Hawks like the Sidewinder, and the Zeiss Conquests. Tough competition to be compared against. Optimas just don't have the "jump" that better new glass can give.
    Hakko probably made them, but Hakko had even better glass for those who wanted it. I have had the odd old Hakko that puts some modern glass to shame. Optimas over the years were made to fit the price the target market demanded. But don't get me wrong on 80's classic rifles an Optima is The scope to match them with. HW35E, Original 45, HW80 and even FWB Sport. lSome Tasco's have the same effect. The most disappointing for me were the Kassnar's which quality wise fluctuated so much from year to year; I never found one I wanted to keep.

£180 for a Super Moonlighter in above average condition isn't robbing anyone. Anyone wanting to put together a John Darling HW80 combo together should grab it.

Not neg Muskett....I like the opinions !

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I prefer the Moonlighter to the Super Moonlighter.

Optima ran this range from about 1982 to 19992?? There were several changes made over the years including the glass and coatings used. And then there was the BDC.
    The quality never really got better, and probably dropped a bit by the end. They were pretty dated compared to the competition by the 90's.
    Build quality was reasonable. The BDC mechanics just about usable, though can wear badly. So much so I don't use the system on mine as I don't trust them to track properly and not to to stick (the old tap the scope routine to ensure a shift).
    The PA ones are only just good enough to the point I set mine to expected range and leave having zeroes to that point.

The above are nothing unexpected from scopes of that price range and build quality of its day. They weren't Leupolds. Even modern scopes, especially bargain bucket ones, can have the same issues.

I like the fixed focused Optima examples, though these may need reparallaxing as they don't all come from the factory set for Air Rifle ranges. Wind the front lens out a turn or so using a scope rubber or custom ring wrench (cut down metal ruler). When set correctly they can give an excellent sight picture at all magnifications.
    I have three Optimas in my 80's classic collection. A 4x40 on my FWB Sport which is one of my favourite combinations of all time. And two Moonlighters. One for everyday use, and one still mint in box.
    Moonlighter prices: a very clean example 80's example then £150 wouldn't be robbing anyone. My mint I wouldn't part for less than £250 being that rare. 90's ones then take 15% 0ff; its because the final bunch just lost something somewhere along the line???? My gut feeling.

John Darling on his custom HW80 .22 used a Super Moonlighter. Just for that fact then start price for a tidy example should be £150 easy. Name your price for a mint one if an 80's version; £200 for a 90's.
    An Optima with Apel Mounts and no crimps is very classy combo for a classic. Sportsmatch mounts just aren't the same but may have to suffice.

Finally, optically they aren't that special considering the hype. When first offered then the hype might have been warranted but not later. My modern scopes really can show them up now. But to me a classic 80's rifle should have 80's glass.
    Superb post 👍👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I didn't mean my post to come over negative. I am on permanent look out for them, and do snap up any mint ones I find, well the one ones I specifically want.
    Forgot who I sold my last Super Moonlighter too that was pretty mint; but think I asked £200 for it.

Glass wise I'm comparing to mid range better glass such as done by Bushnell, the better Hawks like the Sidewinder, and the Zeiss Conquests. Tough competition to be compared against. Optimas just don't have the "jump" that better new glass can give.
    Hakko probably made them, but Hakko had even better glass for those who wanted it. I have had the odd old Hakko that puts some modern glass to shame. Optimas over the years were made to fit the price the target market demanded. But don't get me wrong on 80's classic rifles an Optima is The scope to match them with. HW35E, Original 45, HW80 and even FWB Sport. lSome Tasco's have the same effect. The most disappointing for me were the Kassnar's which quality wise fluctuated so much from year to year; I never found one I wanted to keep.

£180 for a Super Moonlighter in above average condition isn't robbing anyone. Anyone wanting to put together a John Darling HW80 combo together should grab it.
    also scopes like my pro airs and the other older phillipines made simmons scopes are still good against modern glass. i love my nikko platinum also.

Even Simmons WTC are showing their age now.

Period rifles should have period scopes and mounts. Not every scope is fantastic.

Optima range were also sold rebadged as ASI, Apollo and Air Arms, to name but a few, all worth snapping up for vintage combos. I also like the early Hawke mil pro and pro stalk which were basically Tasco AG
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Have got what I think must be one of the last super moonlighters made, stamped optima and 3-9x56 but with an illuminated reticle? Anyone seen one? Also has rubber scope covers. Will be sticking it up for sale soon.

I think the Optima range was stopped in the early 1990's. The last few years saw a few new models which were only ever done in small batches. Some pretty odd configurations.
    There are few to collect. The Gamekeeper always desirable though a quirky thing.
    My favourites are the early 4x40 and Moonlighter.