Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bsa one of one thousand

Bsa one of one thousand

Calling all beezer geezers, just wondered if anyone knew the cost of these when new? I have been offered a .177 with original scope, but nothing else..

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I couldn't tell you that, all I can tell you what I know which may be right or wrong from stuff I have heard/read on the net etc.

The rifles were released to dealers with a recommended price, from what I gather, a lot of people considered this price to be rather high for what was essentially an Airsporter 'S' with an elongated stock as per stutzen but whereas the stutty was beech, the Centenary was walnut. The rifle came with 'extras', none of which were considered 'exceptional'.
    I gather that some were initially snapped up by collectors whereas others languished in dealers for some time until heavily discounted, I heard of a couple of people who picked up some 'bargain' buys eventually.
    Approximately a quarter of the production run were .177, the rest were .22. I have the exact number somewhere but it's on my other computer.
    The chap I bought mine off had a few, one of which was a .177 which he had intended to keep until I believe 'a chap from Scotland' managed to persuade him to part with it for as best as I remember £1,300.

Personally, I prefer .22 cal (as mine is) but there are some who will pay a premium for a .177 and they are 'rarer' as fewer were made.

What they go for these days depends upon condition and what someone is prepared to pay - obviously!

Personally, I wasn't bothered about not getting all the extras with mine, but I did get the bag and the certificate, the rest I have replaced with possibly superior items or close replicas of the originals.
    I believe I have another Airsporter that was made in smaller numbers than the Centenary, but I may be wrong!

You pays your money and you makes your choice - good luck!

(P.S - if anyone knows better than this, I would also like to know! )

ASM
    Last edited by Airsporterman; 11-06-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

from memory, £250 (ish) new (recommended price) but available for less than £200 in their day as they didn't appear to be big sellers from new.

Hiller's book generally confirms this point of view by offering a new price of £235. From my point of view, a pretty gun but not much else, and as generally stated above with little improvement to known Airsporter problems (with "extra's thown in to improve desirability" of the combination).

Vic T

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    l remember one of them coming up at Weller&Duftys auction not long after they came out. it was complete, it sold for £90 hammer price. with hind sight l should have bought it.

Binners

They were £235 RRP when new , I bought mine in January 1983, still have it boxed .

I wrote to Ken White of BSA some years later to ascertain the number of .177 and .22 produced but after 2 house moves have mislaid his reply

The .177 numbers were around 230 from memory with the balance .22.

HTH

£200 in 1982 would purchase you something valued £670 or so today according to one of the calculators I used (which factors in inflation etc, etc), that appears to be quite low when you consider what people pay for equivalent rifles today, so a bargain maybe?
    I didn't buy one at the time because I wasn't aware of them as I wasn't in air rifles at the time, having left them for a number of years as other things took up my time and interests. (although still had my Airsporters I bought when I was a lad)
    As soon as I saw one, I wanted one but I accept they are not as good as an early Mk1 Airsporter (Imo) nor a number of other quality rifles by different manufacturers.

I know that a lot were sold/bought as investments and a lot of 'minters' turn up from time to time with all their accessories still sealed in bags etc. The price asked for these can be quite staggering for an air rifle (when you consider what you can pick up a rim firer for) but frankly, I am staggered for what some people will pay for say PCP rifles, kit and caboodle.

I guess it's all down to personal choice etc.

I don't think a Centenary will shoot any better than a standard 'S' model on which they are based - but if like me, you like their look and level of quality (BSA) then alls good!

Its one of those rifles that always going to be desireable to others if the price is right!
    I bought mine despite the price - I doubt I will lose money on it as I have no intention of selling it, so investment doesn't really factor, pride of ownership - definately - but no more so than most of my (small) Airsporter collection, most of which I have had for many years!

Each to their own and all that!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Had a brief look at info stored on my other computer (I believe the info came from an Ex employee of BSA ?) but not entirely sure of the source.

During a game fair at Tatton Park,(Knutsford) 1982, BSA launched a commemorative rifle (The Centenary rifle) to commemorate 100 years of their 'Piled Arms' trademark that was launched in 1882. (not the start of the company/ production which was in 1861.)
    Numbers of rifles were 'strictly controlled' to 1000, all were manufactured in 1982 and had the etched 'One of a Thousand' on top of the air cylinder, the rifle came with a number of extras and a signed certificate bearing the serial number of each rifle. The serials were C0001 through to C1000.

264 in .177 calibre
    736 in .22 calibre

This will be information I picked up from the internet, there is probably more out there!

ASM

A late friend claimed that in the eighties .177 accounted for about 5% of overall air rifle sales for the company.
    Last edited by piggy589; 12-06-2018 at 10:18 AM.

I had two consecutive numbered guns in each calibre

Sam

In 1996 I was originally given figures of 200 in .177 and 800 in .22 by a 'Mr.Reeves', during a phone call to BSA, but these figures were amended in 2008 during a phone call to Chris Dunn and taken from factory records, to 736 in .22 and 264 in .177, as quoted above in post #7.
    Production started 14/06/1982, and numbers C0001 & C1000 were originally retained by BSA but have since been sold.
    I had C0002 in .22, the first one retailed, followed by several other boxed examples, only one of which C0225 was .177, and all have now been sold.
    I have seen and heard of some extremely ambitious pricing for pristine boxed examples offered on the second hand market, but don't know what the final figures realised have been.

I brought one secondhand Vmac kit but the barrel had been cut and threaded for a silencer, I paid £300 the gun was mint.
    Last edited by Jenny Dipple; 12-06-2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: mistake

I can remember one sold early last year (not on here) for £650. Boxed, mint, with all the extra's which includes a gun bag, certificate of authenticity etc etc.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

I had 2 boxed mint ones as they came out the factory. No 225 in .177 cal and no2 in .22 cal. I sold them for £950 each.
    As I remember there were 264 in .177 and remainder .22.
    Fozzy
    Last edited by fozzy45; 13-06-2018 at 02:58 PM.

I remember back in the day, after they had been about a few years, the whole kit was eventually discounted to less than the price of an Airsporter "S"
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Mint in box with all the extras change hands at £950. No reason not to go for a little more, as no more will be made. There are a lot of BSA collectors. There are rarer and better rifles that demand less high a price but then there are less competition from collectors for them. BSA's just have a higher profile and bigger following.

The hardest to find are well used ones at normal prices; ones to shoot. But then they shoot pretty similarly to any Airsporter, which is farmyard shooting.