£200 in 1982 would purchase you something valued £670 or so today according to one of the calculators I used (which factors in inflation etc, etc), that appears to be quite low when you consider what people pay for equivalent rifles today, so a bargain maybe?
I didn't buy one at the time because I wasn't aware of them as I wasn't in air rifles at the time, having left them for a number of years as other things took up my time and interests. (although still had my Airsporters I bought when I was a lad)
As soon as I saw one, I wanted one but I accept they are not as good as an early Mk1 Airsporter (Imo) nor a number of other quality rifles by different manufacturers.

I know that a lot were sold/bought as investments and a lot of 'minters' turn up from time to time with all their accessories still sealed in bags etc. The price asked for these can be quite staggering for an air rifle (when you consider what you can pick up a rim firer for) but frankly, I am staggered for what some people will pay for say PCP rifles, kit and caboodle.

I guess it's all down to personal choice etc.

I don't think a Centenary will shoot any better than a standard 'S' model on which they are based - but if like me, you like their look and level of quality (BSA) then alls good!

Its one of those rifles that always going to be desireable to others if the price is right!
I bought mine despite the price - I doubt I will lose money on it as I have no intention of selling it, so investment doesn't really factor, pride of ownership - definately - but no more so than most of my (small) Airsporter collection, most of which I have had for many years!

Each to their own and all that!

ASM