Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bsa one of one thousand

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I suspect there are a lot of 'Centenary' models out there that don't wear the 'one in a thousand script' on the air cylinder, until recently, it was possible to purchase 'New /old stock' - Centenary stocks that would make it a fairly simple operation to convert an 'S' model, of course the serial number would be wrong, but essentially it would be the same to shoot. Nothing wrong with that mind, I don't personally have any problem with that unless someone was trying to sell it/pass it off as one.
    If I ever get around to doing it (I have the hardwood blank ready) My project Mk1 will wear a handmade/one off stock that will broadly follow the elongated format of the Centenary stock but it will feature a higher comb/cheekpiece for the scope it will wear as it will feature a scope ramp fitted on top of the air chamber.

(and for the 'purists' out there) The Mk1 I intend to modify thus - I acquired specifically as it was in good working but poor overall cosmetic condition (and minus a stock) and needs a complete overhaul and will be getting a lot of money/attention and time lavished on it! (and it will be loved)

Don't think I will be getting 'One of only one ever' engraved on it though!

I like the 'Centenary' rifle - just a pity they didn't base it on the Mk1 action instead of the 'S' - now that would have been something. (just my opinion )

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Thanks

To all, after hearing that there are/were only 264 of these in .177, I have decided to have this one, number 26. I am happy that it has no box, bag or certificate as these things have no value/interest to me, but glad it has the original 4x40 scope, the optics are the clearest I have seen.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I believe the .177 'accessories kit' also included a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers to assist in the placing of the little pellets in the breech!

(only kidding!)

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

I know a guy who brought a ''one in a thousand'' back in the 80s its a 177 & it went straight under the bed in the spare bedroom where it has been ever since! I tried to get him to put a few shots through it but he wouldn't budge, he has never put a shot through it. A complete gun that has not been touched for over 40 years to my knowledge ..i am biding my time!

Am I getting confused with some edition of something else where the best one out of a hundred (or possibly) a thousand was selected until a hundred ( or possibly ) a thousand were amassed and then the best of them was chosen? The thousandth thousand seems unlikely as that implies sales of a million.

It is highly likely that I'm simply confusing something misread or misremembered with wishful thinking and await correction. On consideration it may have been one of the American firms, possibly Winchester. For sure somebody on here will know.

From the naughty step, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    Am I getting confused with some edition of something else where the best one out of a hundred (or possibly) a thousand was selected until a hundred ( or possibly ) a thousand were amassed and then the best of them was chosen? The thousandth thousand seems unlikely as that implies sales of a million.

It is highly likely that I'm simply confusing something misread or misremembered with wishful thinking and await correction. On consideration it may have been one of the American firms, possibly Winchester. For sure somebody on here will know.

Here you go mate, it all went a bit Pete Tong for Winchester;

https://www.historynet.com/wincheste...d-campaign.htm

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post

ATB, Ed
    Thanks for that, Ed. I wasn't totally wrong then! She will be surprised.

I must have read that or something similar. I wish I'd known about it before I was taken to visit the friend of a friend in Ontario in the early Eighties - he had 173 Winchesters.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post

The rifle referred to in this thread is the BSA Airsporter Centennial, and no connection with Winchester rifles.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post

ATB, Ed
    Hi Ed, there is a old cowboy film called the Winchester 55? staring James Stewart about a special one off Winchester. well worth a view.