Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to the HW99s in 22 at 12fpe.

Alternatives to the HW99s in 22 at 12fpe.

I just wondered. If you leave out the 99s, which is the best performing break barrel in 22 at about 10.5-11 fpe?

And please don't say the HW95 because I won't believe you.

I imagine it is either the HW35e, 98, LGV or a Diana 34.

22 remember.

I already know what the best break barrel in 177 is: the LGV.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The HW98 without a shodow of a doubt! Just take the heavy barrel sleeve off and lose the comedy stock and it's perfect.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The HW98 without a shodow of a doubt! Just take the heavy barrel sleeve off and lose the comedy stock and it's perfect.
    You are a Rascal Tinners.
    If you can find one a Webley longbow( Birmingham made) or Tomahawk short stroked.
    Atb
    Les..

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It isn't a rifle that had more than a very short production run, but it is probably the Bowkett BSA Mercury Trident. There were only about eight made, based on the Mercury-S but with a shorter, thicker barrel, a longer, narrower stroke and most importantly, a cleverly redesigned cassette-type active trigger mechanism in the same class as the Rekord and the CD. A bit heavier than the standard Mercury, in .22 it was a superb-handling 11.5 fpe tack-driver, 20mm spinners at 50 yards all day long. However, designing a safety catch for the US market would have needed extra work and BSA decided that PCPs needed investment more than 'old hat' springers, and that was that.

Made the HW99S look and feel like a bit of old gas-pipe, do buy one if you come across one. It's obvious what it is by the three-pronged 'Trident' logo discretely engraved between the scope rails (no MaxiGrip on this low-recoil baby).
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 11-06-2018 at 04:50 PM.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It isn't a rifle that had more than a very short production run, but it is probably the Bowkett BSA Mercury Trident. There were only about eight made, based on the Mercury-S but with a shorter, thicker barrel, a longer, narrower stroke and most importantly, a cleverly redesigned cassette-type active trigger mechanism in the same class as the Rekord and the CD. A bit heavier than the standard Mercury, in .22 it was a superb-handling 11.5 fpe tack-driver, 20mm spinners at 50 yards all day long. However, the lack of a safety catch for the US market would have needed extra work and BSA decided that PCPs needed investment more than 'old hat' springers, and that was that.

Made the HW99S look and feel like a bit of old gas-pipe, do buy one if you come across one. It's obvious what it is by the three-pronged 'Trident' logo discretely engraved between the scope rails (no MaxiGrip on this low-recoil baby).
    I picked up a couple of those at a car boot a couple of months ago. I was a bit confused by them so put them in a box in my "to think about" cupboard.

I do hope Mrs Bum hasn't had a clear out....
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Lgv...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I just wondered. If you leave out the 99s, which is the best performing break barrel in 22 at about 10.5-11 fpe?

22 remember.

Isn't the 95 the same as a 98 without the clowns outfit

What about a Hatsan 60

You could also try an early brum Supersport or a later Mercury or Challenger, all excellent in .22 when fettled.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 11-06-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

22 remember.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Isn't the 95 the same as a 98 without the clowns outfit

What about a Hatsan 60

You could also try an early brum Supersport or a later Mercury or Challenger, all excellent in .22 when fettled.

Pete
    Yep, can't believe you included the 98 in your list considering your loathing of the '95, Arthur!

Hatsan 60.....big bore, heavy piston, so in need of serious fettling to make sweeter methinks, Pete. Bloody good value mind and the Quattro trigger fitted to the later ones does seem quite nice.

Supersport? Nah. Although I'm quite fond of my ratty 'Sport (mainly because it was a freebie and cosmetically challenged, so an ideal knockabout gun) it also requires serious fettling due to that big, heavy piston. And the barrel pivot pin on the stocker.

Walther Terrus / Classus.....I've tried one or two and the firing cycle did seem quite sweet. Can't remember what the trigger was like, but maybe worth a punt, especially as you like the Walthers? Although a bloke had the barrel / cocking lever seize solid on a brand new one at an indoor club I used to attend.

My choice? HW99 or 95 fettled or otherwise!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Diana 280
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    You are a Rascal Tinners.
    If you can find one a Webley longbow( Birmingham made) or Tomahawk short stroked.
    Atb
    Les..
    Yup, that. Esp. the Longbow, given that the Tommie is 95 verging on 80 dimensions (much as I love mine).

Or a Diana 34/36/38, or 280, preferably with some internal work.

If you can put up with an indifferent and potentially unsafe trigger and some levels of hold sensitivity, the old BSF B55 is quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Diana 280
    + 1.
    Properly lubed.

My first full-fat air rifle was a venomised .22 Hw80 that I got second hand in 1985, over the counter at Venom when they were at the Gun Barrel estate in Halesowen. Can't remember whether it was Ivan or Dave who handed it over the counter but It spent the next five years practically grafted to my hands whenever I got the chance to shoot it.

The original sadly now long since sold, but basically replaced with a similar spec mk1 in recent years, I've shot and owned a fair few rifles since and liked several of them, but despite the fact that it is supposed to be "wrong" for UK power, too heavy etc, and notwithstanding the supposed charms of the likes of the 99, LGV etc I have yet to find any break barrel in my hands that I actually like shooting more than a decently sorted .22 hw80.

I,idly have considered the Walther Cllassus in the past as an alternative to the 99 or 95,but know nothing about it other than what I have read here by Mr Doe,

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/airgu...83197263016108

I have no idea why it retails for more than the excellent Century,though!

Video review here,but in German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUMVHoDrnKc

I'm pleased with my CZ Slavia 634 (if you're after something of a similar size to a HW99). Metalwork not as well finished and trigger not as nice as a 99, but just as accurate and much easier to cock.

Best Regards,
    Bill.
    Last edited by billsnibby; 12-06-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Typo

LGV OTB, with the HW35 running very sweet at 10.5.