Thread: Lee .223 Collet neck die

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    Neck sizing with a Redding competition bushing die is pointless unless you neck turn, neck turning is pointless unless you intend to size with a competition bushing sizing die!

TB.
    Neck turning is also pointless unless you ream as well, otherwise you thin out from the outside but still have thickness on the inner neck. The error starts with a blank that is slightly thicker on one side and is drawn rather than formed over a patern so the error will draw with the forming process (as it is not extruded through a form) and flow forward until the case is discarded or seperated.

IF you wanted to be super anal you would clean, weigh, anneal, collet size or ream/Turn, then trim for every firing. This may explain why the Lee collet die was popular with stateside BR shooters as it did the inside and outside against a plug.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Neck turning is also pointless unless you ream as well, otherwise you thin out from the outside but still have thickness on the inner neck. The error starts with a blank that is slightly thicker on one side and is drawn rather than formed over a patern so the error will draw with the forming process (as it is not extruded through a form) and flow forward until the case is discarded or seperated.

IF you wanted to be super anal you would clean, weigh, anneal, collet size or ream/Turn, then trim for every firing. This may explain why the Lee collet die was popular with stateside BR shooters as it did the inside and outside against a plug.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_eX6-X2Kxg a lot of people swear by them and it will be brass once fired in my rifle

interesting....best thing jim is to try neck sizing and see how you get on.....should have a parcel from krankies soon

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by blueheckle View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_eX6-X2Kxg a lot of people swear by them and it will be brass once fired in my rifle
    Makes sense.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know