Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not gas-rams

Why not gas-rams

Why dont people like gas-rams although I did sell my theoben for the sole reason being the trigger was terrible and could not make it any better other than that loved it whats your experiences with them

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I love my Fenman and all the Fenmans (Fenmi?) I've owned before.[IMG]free image host[/IMG]
    God rest ye jelly mental men

There's a lot of daft stories about gas rams.
    I too suffer from Fenmania, love it to bits and have no issues with them. Don't find recoil a problem either, had 2 in .177 at mid 11 and hit what I point them at.
    Yes, I'm a fan.
    Rust never sleeps !

They are Marmite.

The Theoben Siroccos were launched in 1981-82 with masses of hype. Too much. The perfect airgun. All your problems solved. I can recall at the time being very interested, but the deal then was that the basic rifle cost as much as an FWB Sport with a good scope, and a similarly-scoped HW80 cost less than that.

They never made the cut in FT, which until 1987-88 (when PCPs took over) was first FWB Sport then HW77 territory. Which is telling.

All that said, my limited experience of Theobens is (a) the triggers are not up to the standard you would expect from a gun costing a lot more than an FWB or HW; (b) the stock design, build quality, finish (if you like a purple tint to the bluing) are great; and (c) they hit field targets from field positions (including dodgy ones) with great accuracy.

Their reputation is as scope-breakers. Short, snappy, fast action. If so (and that's my experience of the firing cycle), so what? Buy a better scope. Are they worse than some metal-spring rifles? No.

In addition, beyond the Theobens (and HW90), there are two other classes of gas-ram.

First, the AWT aftermarket kits for a variety of springers. Some swear by them. Not so sure. Try a Venom or tbt kit for the same or less.

Second, the Gamo/Crosman/etc gas-rams. Show me one that shoots into 8mm ctc at 25M. Or is in any way better than the cheaper metal-spring version, especially once fettled. Marketing. Nothing more.

In a weird way, the gas spring obviously ought to be better than the metal one, but three and a half decades of use suggests that they are different, rather than better.

Never owned one (and they are a big old lump in stock form), but I have a sneaking suspicion that the "custom" Euro90 and TB90 versions of the HW90 may be the best gas-rams ever.

secretagentmole Guest
    Only sold my Fenman as we needed the money, the Sirocco likewise, even the EB 60S TG GR was lovely to shoot....

Love all my rammers, yes the triggers on some are pants. But I can live with that. They're well made, accurate beautiful guns

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    They are Marmite.

The Theoben Siroccos were launched in 1981-82 with masses of hype. Too much. The perfect airgun. All your problems solved. I can recall at the time being very interested, but the deal then was that the basic rifle cost as much as an FWB Sport with a good scope, and a similarly-scoped HW80 cost less than that.

They never made the cut in FT, which until 1987-88 (when PCPs took over) was first FWB Sport then HW77 territory. Which is telling.

All that said, my limited experience of Theobens is (a) the triggers are not up to the standard you would expect from a gun costing a lot more than an FWB or HW; (b) the stock design, build quality, finish (if you like a purple tint to the bluing) are great; and (c) they hit field targets from field positions (including dodgy ones) with great accuracy.

Their reputation is as scope-breakers. Short, snappy, fast action. If so (and that's my experience of the firing cycle), so what? Buy a better scope. Are they worse than some metal-spring rifles? No.

In addition, beyond the Theobens (and HW90), there are two other classes of gas-ram.

First, the AWT aftermarket kits for a variety of springers. Some swear by them. Not so sure. Try a Venom or tbt kit for the same or less.

Second, the Gamo/Crosman/etc gas-rams. Show me one that shoots into 8mm ctc at 25M. Or is in any way better than the cheaper metal-spring version, especially once fettled. Marketing. Nothing more.

In a weird way, the gas spring obviously ought to be better than the metal one, but three and a half decades of use suggests that they are different, rather than better.

Never owned one (and they are a big old lump in stock form), but I have a sneaking suspicion that the "custom" Euro90 and TB90 versions of the HW90 may be the best gas-rams ever.
    My tb90 is a lovely rifle, but as you correctly surmised weighs a ton. The tb90 isn't quite as pretty as a proper theoben either. The trigger is much improved over the theoben/ gamo efforts

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

It's an ideological thing.

Because they are the answer to a question no-one asked.

They lack the simplicity of the springer, do not exceed springer performance, yet are not as easy to use or perform at the level of the PCP. Like an electric bicycle, sitting between the human-powered pushbike and the petrol-driven motorcycle, they offer neither rugged simplicity nor awesome performance.

They feel weird when fired and none of them have a really classy trigger. They are more expensive than comparable springers yet offer nothing additional other than the opportunity to buy a very expensive pump to adjust the power with.

You did ask why people don't like them, so there is why.

I like them...

Thanks for all your comments And your honest opinions

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I like 'm too, but Geezer's summary is perfect... I have an SLR88 (arguably the nicest Theo), a Sirocco and an Hw90.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I own two hw90's in both calibre. Superb trigger and lovely firing cycle once the inertia weight is removed. Would sell my springers first.

I have a Evolution in .22. Bought nearly two years ago and hardly shot it. In fact I have not even zeroed the scope.

I was after a HW80 and the EVO came up at a good price.

I may swap it for a HW80 though.

I love my Evo in .22 Yes the triggers shit but the accuracy is superb. Its easily on par with any of my Weihrauchs or AA's. Also worth keeping Theobens now they've gone as the ones in existance will become collectible.

Early couple of years Theoben was getting its system together. The gasram worked but they were buying Webley barrels. Think their triggers were Webley inspired too. All in they were expensive.
    Once they got the barrel sorted from Germany and the rest put together then they were glorious if a bit high ticket priced. The only "average" thing was their triggers which were equal to any FWB but not a Rekord. No one had done a better trigger than a Rekord.
    Early FT years it was the HW77 that was heavy, accurate, and had the right trigger. FWB Sports were outclassed as was everything else. A well sorted tuned HW77 can still deliver competition winning performance in the right hands. But wow what a lump.

The other truth is that Theoben gasrams are half as hold sensitive as a standard springer; which isn't PCP easy.

Distractors are either not happy with the trigger, don't care for the high ticket price (fab woodwork, engineering, and bluing), or that they don't shoot like a PCP. Those who were brought up on springers think they are fantastic and only equalled by an Air Arms springer. And thats because Air Arms can do a better HW77. And still a HW77 fettled well is a great rifle too.

Springer or gasram takes a certain technique. Both old technology compared to a PCP.

I shoot regularly a Fenman .177 that has accounted for many Magpies and rabbits. I have a SLR88 which tack drives too. All the Theobens I've had, a good ten, have shot very well indeed.
    Of the non Theobens then the HW90 is a brilliant rifle.
    I'm not too concerned about spare parts as I've never had one fail yet and my Fenman is 20 years old (sent it off for a service and the reply was nothing was required). I'm sure there will be someone somewhere with the servicing skill to keep them running for years and years.

Lastly, buy good examples while you can. Because they are not a PCP they are interesting and testing to shoot, which to some is the fun of older rifles. I can head shoot effectively all the farmyard critters with one, what more is there to want?