Thread: Why not gas-rams

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    They are Marmite.

The Theoben Siroccos were launched in 1981-82 with masses of hype. Too much. The perfect airgun. All your problems solved. I can recall at the time being very interested, but the deal then was that the basic rifle cost as much as an FWB Sport with a good scope, and a similarly-scoped HW80 cost less than that.

They never made the cut in FT, which until 1987-88 (when PCPs took over) was first FWB Sport then HW77 territory. Which is telling.

All that said, my limited experience of Theobens is (a) the triggers are not up to the standard you would expect from a gun costing a lot more than an FWB or HW; (b) the stock design, build quality, finish (if you like a purple tint to the bluing) are great; and (c) they hit field targets from field positions (including dodgy ones) with great accuracy.

Their reputation is as scope-breakers. Short, snappy, fast action. If so (and that's my experience of the firing cycle), so what? Buy a better scope. Are they worse than some metal-spring rifles? No.

In addition, beyond the Theobens (and HW90), there are two other classes of gas-ram.

First, the AWT aftermarket kits for a variety of springers. Some swear by them. Not so sure. Try a Venom or tbt kit for the same or less.

Second, the Gamo/Crosman/etc gas-rams. Show me one that shoots into 8mm ctc at 25M. Or is in any way better than the cheaper metal-spring version, especially once fettled. Marketing. Nothing more.

In a weird way, the gas spring obviously ought to be better than the metal one, but three and a half decades of use suggests that they are different, rather than better.

Never owned one (and they are a big old lump in stock form), but I have a sneaking suspicion that the "custom" Euro90 and TB90 versions of the HW90 may be the best gas-rams ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    They are Marmite.

The Theoben Siroccos were launched in 1981-82 with masses of hype. Too much. The perfect airgun. All your problems solved. I can recall at the time being very interested, but the deal then was that the basic rifle cost as much as an FWB Sport with a good scope, and a similarly-scoped HW80 cost less than that.

They never made the cut in FT, which until 1987-88 (when PCPs took over) was first FWB Sport then HW77 territory. Which is telling.

All that said, my limited experience of Theobens is (a) the triggers are not up to the standard you would expect from a gun costing a lot more than an FWB or HW; (b) the stock design, build quality, finish (if you like a purple tint to the bluing) are great; and (c) they hit field targets from field positions (including dodgy ones) with great accuracy.

Their reputation is as scope-breakers. Short, snappy, fast action. If so (and that's my experience of the firing cycle), so what? Buy a better scope. Are they worse than some metal-spring rifles? No.

In addition, beyond the Theobens (and HW90), there are two other classes of gas-ram.

First, the AWT aftermarket kits for a variety of springers. Some swear by them. Not so sure. Try a Venom or tbt kit for the same or less.

Second, the Gamo/Crosman/etc gas-rams. Show me one that shoots into 8mm ctc at 25M. Or is in any way better than the cheaper metal-spring version, especially once fettled. Marketing. Nothing more.

In a weird way, the gas spring obviously ought to be better than the metal one, but three and a half decades of use suggests that they are different, rather than better.

Never owned one (and they are a big old lump in stock form), but I have a sneaking suspicion that the "custom" Euro90 and TB90 versions of the HW90 may be the best gas-rams ever.
    My tb90 is a lovely rifle, but as you correctly surmised weighs a ton. The tb90 isn't quite as pretty as a proper theoben either. The trigger is much improved over the theoben/ gamo efforts

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

It's an ideological thing.

Because they are the answer to a question no-one asked.

They lack the simplicity of the springer, do not exceed springer performance, yet are not as easy to use or perform at the level of the PCP. Like an electric bicycle, sitting between the human-powered pushbike and the petrol-driven motorcycle, they offer neither rugged simplicity nor awesome performance.

They feel weird when fired and none of them have a really classy trigger. They are more expensive than comparable springers yet offer nothing additional other than the opportunity to buy a very expensive pump to adjust the power with.

You did ask why people don't like them, so there is why.

I like them...

Thanks for all your comments And your honest opinions

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I like 'm too, but Geezer's summary is perfect... I have an SLR88 (arguably the nicest Theo), a Sirocco and an Hw90.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I own two hw90's in both calibre. Superb trigger and lovely firing cycle once the inertia weight is removed. Would sell my springers first.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Because they are the answer to a question no-one asked.

They lack the simplicity of the springer, do not exceed springer performance, yet are not as easy to use or perform at the level of the PCP. Like an electric bicycle, sitting between the human-powered pushbike and the petrol-driven motorcycle, they offer neither rugged simplicity nor awesome performance.

They feel weird when fired and none of them have a really classy trigger. They are more expensive than comparable springers yet offer nothing additional other than the opportunity to buy a very expensive pump to adjust the power with.

You did ask why people don't like them, so there is why.
    That^^.

It would seem that on the whole, people who have them like them and those who don't have one don't ?
    Many parallels with those who prefer springers to pre charge maybe ?
    Horses for courses eh.
    Rust never sleeps !

I'm still planning on some HFT once I find the right HW90 to use. Not to replace my tx200, just to compare. Looking forward to trying it though

Quote Originally Posted by El Garro View Post
    It would seem that on the whole, people who have them like them and those who don't have one don't ?
    Many parallels with those who prefer springers to pre charge maybe ?
    Horses for courses eh.
    Have tried them and don't like the shot cycle. I think the parallel is more like a very expensive car, no one will admit the problems they have with what they payed so much for.

i've never had to change a spring in any of my gasrams. Nor forked out hundreds to make then a better mousetrap. In fact I never had to do anything with them other than just shoot; always been trouble free.