Thread: H&N Sniper Light Pellets

H&N Sniper Light Pellets

I have been testing some .22 pellets from H&N. Whilst I have covered no more than a handful of their products, I have found that my rifles perform consistently well with this brand. In particular, 'Spitskugel' and 'Excite - Spike' (both pointed, the latter rimmed), produce close groups. In addition, I have just discovered the existence of 'Sniper Light'. This is a 14g pellet, with a flatter trajectory than most pellets and is described by the H&N website as ideal for ranges of up to 50m. Despite its novel shape, this produces excellent groups and is a contender as my pellet of choice.

The H&N website produces a helpful statistical calculator for each of its pellets, along with useful information about each and their purpose - https://www.hn-sport.de/en

I have long taken the view that choice of pellet is almost as important as the choice of rifle. Testing so many different brands is almost impossible but it is helpful to convey useful information and observations/guidance, I think.

I use th sniper lights in my .177 Daystate wolverine and they are a really good bunny round.

Been happy with many H&N pellets through the years. Loved the old .177 Silhouette. And many of my HWs' favourite diets are FTTs. Keen to try the Sniper Mediums in .177 and the Lights in .22.

And I'm positively itching to try out the Barracuda FTs when they're finally available.

And, yes, very well laid out and informative website.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Excellent pellets in both Cals
    used them in Wolverine ( before i off loaded it) & still in my Rapids
    Last edited by Burrow Basher; 12-06-2018 at 01:48 PM.

I found a tin of "Sniper Mediums" to be rather accurate from a HW98.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I have been testing some .22 pellets from H&N. Whilst I have covered no more than a handful of their products, I have found that my rifles perform consistently well with this brand. In particular, 'Spitskugel' and 'Excite - Spike' (both pointed, the latter rimmed), produce close groups. In addition, I have just discovered the existence of 'Sniper Light'. This is a 14g pellet, with a flatter trajectory than most pellets and is described by the H&N website as ideal for ranges of up to 50m. Despite its novel shape, this produces excellent groups and is a contender as my pellet of choice.

The H&N website produces a helpful statistical calculator for each of its pellets, along with useful information about each and their purpose - https://www.hn-sport.de/en

I have long taken the view that choice of pellet is almost as important as the choice of rifle. Testing so many different brands is almost impossible but it is helpful to convey useful information and observations/guidance, I think.
    I was working on a .177 HW98 and the owner sent me a few different brands of pellets to test and the Sniper Mediums were very accurate, however rather odd in appearance...

Here are a few groups shot sitting on a bucket resting the gun on cross sticks (US hunter class field target style) comparing the different pellets supplied.......

I then tried some H&N Sniper Lights and they flew into "patterns" instead of groups at 30 yards (no target scan). I also found that the base of the Sniper Medium and Sniper Light was different with a "L" mounted into the Sniper Light base. Could the off center "foot of the L" be creating an imbalance?? .......

I was thinking of trying the .177 H&N Sniper Mediums from my tighter leade .177 HW95, however some shooters on this side of the "big pond" are claiming inconsistencies from "lot to lot".

Concerning the H&N FTT, I shot some from my .177 Beeman R9 and had quite a few "unexplained fliers" so I measured the heads of pellets from tins of supposedly 4.52mm pellets (0.1779in).

Shooting the FTTs I was noticing an extreme variation of fit in the leade of my .177 Beeman R9 so I'm thinking the combination of the "loose leade" in the R9 bore (relative to the newer .177 HW95 bought later) and large number of undersize FTT heads is the cause. I sold the balance of the FTTs I had before buying the HW95 which has a tighter .177 leade.

Anywhoo......I do like the cleanliness and pre-lubing of the Sniper Mediums I bought, however too many UNEXPLAINED fliers from the .177 R9.

Quote Originally Posted by nced View Post
    I was working on a .177 HW98 and the owner sent me a few different brands of pellets to test and the Sniper Mediums were very accurate, however rather odd in appearance...

Here are a few groups shot sitting on a bucket resting the gun on cross sticks (US hunter class field target style) comparing the different pellets supplied.......

I then tried some H&N Sniper Lights and they flew into "patterns" instead of groups at 30 yards (no target scan). I also found that the base of the Sniper Medium and Sniper Light was different with a "L" mounted into the Sniper Light base. Could the off center "foot of the L" be creating an imbalance?? .......

I was thinking of trying the .177 H&N Sniper Mediums from my tighter leade .177 HW95, however some shooters on this side of the "big pond" are claiming inconsistencies from "lot to lot".

Concerning the H&N FTT, I shot some from my .177 Beeman R9 and had quite a few "unexplained fliers" so I measured the heads of pellets from tins of supposedly 4.52mm pellets (0.1779in).

Shooting the FTTs I was noticing an extreme variation of fit in the leade of my .177 Beeman R9 so I'm thinking the combination of the "loose leade" in the R9 bore (relative to the newer .177 HW95 bought later) and large number of undersize FTT heads is the cause. I sold the balance of the FTTs I had before buying the HW95 which has a tighter .177 leade.

Anywhoo......I do like the cleanliness and pre-lubing of the Sniper Mediums I bought, however too many UNEXPLAINED fliers from the .177 R9.

That is most interesting, nced. I at once inspected my Sniper Lights, in .22 and they do not have the 'L' within the pellet, so this might either be a feature of the 177s or it might be a production flaw.

I was equally interested to read of your further observations. If I were you, I would raise this with H&N. I have found them both very helpful and also especially customer focused. I think they would be keen to receive your criticisms. Their contact details can be found on their website and I would like to know how they reply to you, should you raise these issues with them.

Yes, the Sniper Lights have an interesting appearance but it seems to work - and very well in my instance in 22. The flatter trajectories - which are also well documented on the H&N website - make it especially compelling at longer distances. I have also found them to produce very tight groupings with a variety of rifles.

These pellets are made with the Defiant kit H&N acquired when they bought out Prometheus.
    Sadly I found the Defiants (which were offered in Light, Medium and Heavy each with various diameters available) were much more consistent than the new 'Sniper' branded ones H&N produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    These pellets are made with the Defiant kit H&N acquired when they bought out Prometheus.
    No they are not.

H&N bought the dies and designs from Pax a few years ago and made completely new dies.

If you compare side by side any of the PAX made pellets they are different from any H&N made pellets.

I have been using Sniper Mediums in .177 since they came out in 2015. With my Walther I shot them lubed but unsized, with my Anschutz 9015 I size all the pellets 4.52 and lube them, both groups and chrono readings make it worthwhile sizing them.

I have also tried some of the new Barracuda FT and believe they could be an excellent HFT pellet but found groups at 55 yards to be variable. They are also pretty good for Bench Rest.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    No they are not.

H&N bought the dies and designs from Pax a few years ago and made completely new dies.

If you compare side by side any of the PAX made pellets they are different from any H&N made pellets.

I have been using Sniper Mediums in .177 since they came out in 2015. With my Walther I shot them lubed but unsized, with my Anschutz 9015 I size all the pellets 4.52 and lube them, both groups and chrono readings make it worthwhile sizing them.

I have also tried some of the new Barracuda FT and believe they could be an excellent HFT pellet but found groups at 55 yards to be variable. They are also pretty good for Bench Rest.

Can't wait to get my itchy little digits on those FTs once they break cover properly.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I've used Sniper Light in both calibres and have found them very accurate in a variety of Weihrauchs. I'm currently using them in a .177 HW30s...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Can't wait to get my itchy little digits on those FTs once they break cover properly.
    I've tried them in as wide a variety of rifles as I could.

They are bigger diameter than typical JSB / Air Arms 4.52 (which as we all know are not 4.52), and I have found they are very accurate out of my 9015 and also my FX Streamline. Initially they did not seem to go well from Lowthar Walther barrels (used by Air Arms), but then a friend posted his best ever BR 25m score using them in his AA and another friend found they went well in his s400. When they do finally appear I may buy a few more and size them, that may deal with the 55 yard groups I have shot, which were OK but nothing special.

They are typical H&N, clean, well made and consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    No they are not.

Must be a coincidence that the snipers are only offered in one size (4.52) and bear the L stamp on the underside used on the Defiant range to denote the Large head size as opposed to 4.50 (s) and 4.51 (m) and share all the same core measurements.