Thread: Thin Skirted .25 Pellets ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Thin Skirted .25 Pellets ?

Anyone aware of any of the above ?
    I have an older BSA .25 which is proving to be a problem when finding a suitable pellet to fit the bore.
    A .243 sized F & TT pellet simply slips down through the bore so obviously the true bore size is somewhere inbetween .243 and 6.35mm (.25) ?
    BUT if the above pellet does exist, maybe its possible to push it into the breech without too much force although there is also the matter of the head size to take into account ?

AA D Fields and JSB's are thin skirted but I've never seen the .25 versions.
    “An airgun or two”………

Bit confused that you call FTT a .243 pellet because afaik they are true .25
    Rhino green, are the only .243 pellet I know of, to the best of my knowledge White Rhino, Marksman, Pylarm are all .25

JSB .25 pellets are officially imported by AA & Daystate but only in the heavy 33gn version for FAC.

AA .25 diabolo are fairly widely available in the shops down here so it depends if the shops around you think there's a market, they won't stock what doesn't sell.

JSB kings 24gn are available on the bay of e,

I've got all the above, PM me your addy & I'll send you a few to try for size before you buy a full tin that's no good.

I do know a thin skirted .25, it's the old Norica Apache but they no longer list it, I can send you a few & if they work it might be worth searching for NOS.

A pellet sizer might be your best bet.

Your best bet might be Marksmans. They fit quite nicely in my BSA 635 and don't require you to break your thumb putting one in!

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Bit confused that you call FTT a .243 pellet because afaik they are true .25
    Rhino green, are the only .243 pellet I know of, to the best of my knowledge White Rhino, Marksman, Pylarm are all .25

JSB .25 pellets are officially imported by AA & Daystate but only in the heavy 33gn version for FAC.

AA .25 diabolo are fairly widely available in the shops down here so it depends if the shops around you think there's a market, they won't stock what doesn't sell.

JSB kings 24gn are available on the bay of e,

I've got all the above, PM me your addy & I'll send you a few to try for size before you buy a full tin that's no good.

I do know a thin skirted .25, it's the old Norica Apache but they no longer list it, I can send you a few & if they work it might be worth searching for NOS.

A pellet sizer might be your best bet.
    The .243 "sized pellet" was a .25 F&TT put through a .243 sizer, sorry for confussion !

Not seen any Rhino Green, only the White and all the rest you list.

I see Robb does an adjustable pellet sizer but I don't know how successful that would be ?

Many thanks for offer, PM inbound !
    “An airgun or two”………

For my BSA barrel I bought a pellet sizer then slowly polished it out until I got a good pellet fit in the barrel, I also polished the first cm of the barrel out as well to stop the pellets getting deformed as they are thumbed in.

The real answer is to get a .25 barrel for your weihrauch instead.......
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I had the same problems with a .25 Lightning barrel, I had great trouble trying to fit BSA Pylarms into the bore (even though I was led to believe they where .243), I even sized them in a .243 sizer and still no luck, I even opened the breech out a bit to help and it did a bit, I ended up buying a new .25 BSA barrel from Knibbs which I was assured was a proper .25, which luckily it is.

I use AA .25 pellets in that barrel, the skirts are softer than other makes, I can crush the skirt between finger and thumb but not completely together (probably the strength in my fingers than the toughness of the lead).

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I had the same problems with a .25 Lightning barrel, I had great trouble trying to fit BSA Pylarms into the bore (even though I was led to believe they where .243), I even sized them in a .243 sizer and still no luck, I even opened the breech out a bit to help and it did a bit, I ended up buying a new .25 BSA barrel from Knibbs which I was assured was a proper .25, which luckily it is.

I use AA .25 pellets in that barrel, the skirts are softer than other makes, I can crush the skirt between finger and thumb but not completely together (probably the strength in my fingers than the toughness of the lead).

Pete
    Yes thats basically what I'm planning Pete, the .243 sized 6.35 F&TT's dropped right through the bore but unsized they were too tight a fit so maybe, just maybe a 'thin skirted .25 AA or similar might just squeeze in there ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Thin Skirted .25 Pellets ?

This solution chaps is a tr.robb adjustable .25 cal sizer. His design sizes the head slightly smaller than the skirt & can be adjusted to give a tighter or slacker fit. They do work! I sold mine when I got rid of my only 25 cal rifle but he does these & .20 cal to order so give him a couple of weeks notice.

So I assume I buy the .25 adjustable sizer from TR Robb and it adjusts 'narrower' down to whatever caliber fits the bore ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    So I assume I buy the .25 adjustable sizer from TR Robb and it adjusts 'narrower' down to whatever caliber fits the bore ?
    Yes it has a tapered bore & instead of pushing the pellets right through you push them back out the rear after sizing, once adjusted to your bore you tighten the locknuts & it's set for your rifle. they do work well & a much better idea than just pushing pellets through a sizing hole. I got mine for a bsa 635 magnum then found out that most of the german .25 cal pellets were too heavy for sub 12ft/lbs anyway so used rhino's.

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    John, I find that the .25 cal BSA Pylarms and Marksman pellets both work fine in my old .25 Supersport with the nearer .243 barrel.
    In fact I was rather surprised by the effectiveness of the Marksman ammo. Neither of these give me a sore thumb from loading, and they're both of a suitable weight for sub 12ft.lb rifles -- less of the mortar bomb lobbing trajectory!
    Most of the Rhinos I bought (Green or White) were either deformed or only partially moulded.

See you Saturday at The Hollow?
    Atb, Alastair