Yet again I have been distracted along the way of my collecting journey and have stumbled upon one of the above guns.

I already own a 56TH and that is one heck of a lump of machinery, and so I was pleasantly surprised by the relative (and I do emphasize that term) weight of the Airking in comparison with the 56. Its the same power plant, but the stock is more traditional sporter in comparison and I guess lighter. I found that I have changed my initial view that this would be a dedicated target/occasional gun only to the possibility that it could be easily pressed into a main full time hunting outfit. Having used a scoped HW80 for donkey years- I personally don't find the weight THAT bad- but can appreciate someone having previously only shot a medium weight springer or similar could baulk at the weight increase.

This particular example is dated late 2000 and has the 01 trigger unit which although plastic, has a pretty good feel and action. Talking of action the gun is blued to a high standard and I much prefer the traditional finish over the 56TH. More by luck than design the beech stock is well figured and is pleasing. The height of the cheek piece is relatively high for a non scope dedicated gun- being picky you could say perhaps a whisker high for open sights and a whisker low for a scope. That said my eyes are not what they were and I have shot scoped guns out of necessity for many years now. I did notice that in contrast to my old c1988 Firebird 52 (which is cast metal), the adjustable front sight assembly on this is that hardened plastic. Not great but it will do. If I didnt want to keep things as is I think a sleeve with a small moderator built in ala Pro Sport would be the ticket here (hunting wise I mean).

Now I've arrived at the unusual part. The gun is in .25 calibre. I vaguely recall that this was an available option on this model (possibly special order???). Not sure if this has always been the case (bearing in mind the year 2000 of manufacture), but I've heard from three different sources that there were not that many .25s came into the country. I have also heard that .20 was an option as well. Does anyone have some information that they can add to this? The firing cycle of the gun as any springer user who has one will attest is a little surreal when the shot is released and there is very little felt recoil. The gun feels dead. Though I haven't used the gun for any extended sessions (I've simply zeroed the scope), the accuracy seems more than acceptable. I have no experience of .25 calibre so have no knowledge if this is to be expected. For close to moderate range accuracy is very good with Bisley Superfield (I've heard these are no longer produced by H&N). So when my stock is exhausted I will be looking for a replacement and had considered the H&N FTTs in the 19gr range as opposed to Bisley SFs in the 24.5gr range. If anyone has some recommendations on this aspect please post here. The thump of these pellets landing downrange is quite satisfying and energy certainly looks to be there in abundance at moderate ranges as a crow found out after the gun was zeroed last week. I think any calibre would have done the job, but certainly the crow crumpled when hit with the Bisley.

I'm not sure if the gun is entirely factory standard as the action appears very smooth and discharge sound quite moderate with no really twang (perhaps there wasn't such a shortage of lube at the factory in those days)?

Anyone else have an Airking and like to share some thoughts? I'd certainly appreciate some input on pellet suggestions and very much on any knowledge on the fact this is gun is .25 calibre?

Thanks all.

Dave