Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
I looked into this recently. I do not have the search results but fairly sure it was wind the front element out a little, but as you say this might disturb the seal and let the gas escape. There was a thread on here recently by someone asking for companies that can re-charge a scope....because he had tried to alter the front element

Turned out my scope (Hawke HD Sport) did not have an adjustable ring at the front....so I bought a Nikko Sterling 4x40 AO from our site sponsor for a very good price.

I wonder if applying (carefully) more of the heavy grease (normally found in the threads of a scope/binoculars) would help minimise the risk of loss of the gas (presume it is low pressure)?
I will make a suitable device to fit into the two small horizontally opposed slots in the front lens holder and if it will unwind OK I will move the lens forwards a little and see if this works.

Some low tack masking tape should help protect the lens but I will put a concave curve into the device to help keep it away from the lens surface.

Your idea about adding a little grease to the threads sound good too!