Thread: Two workshop mysteries.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That's a pretty dodgy switch then.

Agreed there are some drills for sale that aren't up to much. I've got some old ones which seem to be lasting well with an occasional touch on a wheel to sharpen them. Bought some off Reeves a long while back, not sure of the maker but the model engineering websites might be a good place to look for reviews or recommendations on modern made drills. Quite like stubbies over jobber length ones for some tasks.

Like the bug gun but I'll stick to rubber bands easier to pick up than a pinch of salt, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    That's a pretty dodgy switch then.

Agreed there are some drills for sale that aren't up to much. I've got some old ones which seem to be lasting well with an occasional touch on a wheel to sharpen them. Bought some off Reeves a long while back, not sure of the maker but the model engineering websites might be a good place to look for reviews or recommendations on modern made drills. Quite like stubbies over jobber length ones for some tasks.

Like the bug gun but I'll stick to rubber bands easier to pick up than a pinch of salt, but that's just me.
    Not a pinch, you have a whole magazine full. Just pump and fire ! Believe it or not I used a 9 mil pistol to shoot flies and spiders in my house in South Africa. (there is a story to that).
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 17-06-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Sounds a bit extreme, a 9mm blank might be messy enough. Guess you liked decorating! Reminds me of the stories about WW1 where they sometimes took potshots at the rats with.455 revolvers....in the dugouts. As if nerves weren't on edge enough, imagine someone doing that while you were looking the other way?

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Sounds a bit extreme, a 9mm blank might be messy enough. Guess you liked decorating! Reminds me of the stories about WW1 where they sometimes took potshots at the rats with.455 revolvers....in the dugouts. As if nerves weren't on edge enough, imagine someone doing that while you were looking the other way?
    I resized the fired 9 mil cases and put them upside down in a tin of melted candle wax. When the wax set I pulled out the cases which now had wad cutter wax projectiles. Just put in a primer only with Lee primer, and hey presto had indoor practice rounds. Of course you could only load and shoot one at a time, but they had enough oomph to break yogurt cups I used for targets. Wife did no like greasy marks on the wall so had to pack it in.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Wax practice loads for trigger control & sight acquisition.(& flies too) brings back memories, but the flies are a new to me.

Can you get to Rufforth, near York, on the first Saturday in the month for the autojumble? There is a secondhand tool dealer there who really knows his stuff and will not have crap on his stall.

I'll take it a step further and say if you can get there for about 0800 I'll introduce you to him.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Looks like the drill bit issue is sorted, so on to part 2.
    When did you last have a bath ?
    Rust never sleeps !