Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
Reverse the rotation

Can’t help with the flies
Spot on Richard! The old Dewhurst switch on the lathe had come loose inside and somehow I had put the lathe into reverse. As I had never used the reverse setting before (why do they have the option when Myford tell you never to use it in case the chuck unwinds?) it was not something that came immediately to mind. So there's a golden nugget of information for you all - drills don't work very well in reverse. You don't get these sort of tips in the text books!

As to the bluebottles, Danny more or less has it. No food of any sort in the workshop, but I did begin to notice a smell of something like cat crap. Searching behind all the cupboards etc, in case a moggy had crept in and left a deposit proved fruitless, as did a close inspection of the soles of my shoes. Eventually the penny dropped and I realised it was a sheet of emery cloth made in China I had recently got out of the drawer and left on the bench. It sure did stink. God knows what they use as the adhesive but I hope they never get round to using it on envelopes. I know recycling is all the rage, but cat crap should stay as cat crap however cheap it might be.

The fly spray was pretty effective but I thought it was a bit cruel, so I used spray varnish instead. They took a bit longer to die but they did have a lovely finish.