Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two workshop mysteries.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I am forever sharpening drill bits, its difficult to find good quality ones today. I was one of the best at sharpening them during my apprenticeship, but I hated the tiny ones. Any suggestions where to buy good quality ? RPM speed is also a big factor in easy drilling, depending on diameter.

Baz
    Hi Baz,

Buy colbalt ones, but they are not cheap;

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/e...balt-bits-a777

Unfortunately the general public (ie. non trade who have no idea what proper engineering costs are) think that B+Q or Screwfix gold drills are actually what an engineering firm might use

Also look on the bay for used older sets, over the last few years I have acquired full sets of British made metric / imperial / letter and number drills, all for a fraction of their value by being patient. Well looked after or little used sets often pop up on there.

ATB, Ed

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Baz,

Unfortunately the general public (ie. non trade who have no idea what proper engineering costs are) think that B+Q or Screwfix gold drills are actually what an engineering firm might use
    Couldn't agree more Ed. I came into hobby machining very late and have acquired various sets of drill bits over time, some bought without much serious thought, and I find myself again and again going to the cobalt ones in preference to all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Baz,

Also look on the bay for used older sets, over the last few years I have acquired full sets of British made metric / imperial / letter and number drills, all for a fraction of their value by being patient. Well looked after or little used sets often pop up on there.

ATB, Ed
    Gonna get me a complete set, thanks. Fed up with bits made of toffee.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Gonna get me a complete set, thanks. Fed up with bits made of toffee.
    Good Egg

Do have a shop around though as that was a random link, and also invest in some Dormer Supercut ...I use the spray version more and more as it seems more economical, but have not used a drill ''dry'' on any metal in memory, I drill a lot of tough steels / Inco alloys / hard grades of stainless so am used to taking it easy and keeping the drill cool...On occasion I get the odd wally on my pillar drill at work (I keep the good drills locked up) who is staring at a burnt drill and hot piece of stainless sheet because he was using 1000 rpm and no cutting fluid and has wrecked the job in seconds by being impatient.

Some of the specific spray oils for magnetic drills (Rotabroach types) are also very good for positinal work as the y don't run, I use JEI endurance which sprays like silver body shultz but is great for when you have to drill with air tools horizontally or overhead etc. as no drips!

ATB, Ed

Can you get to Rufforth, near York, on the first Saturday in the month for the autojumble? There is a secondhand tool dealer there who really knows his stuff and will not have crap on his stall.

I'll take it a step further and say if you can get there for about 0800 I'll introduce you to him.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Looks like the drill bit issue is sorted, so on to part 2.
    When did you last have a bath ?
    Rust never sleeps !

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    No need to bath - the smell of cutting fluid and diesel keeps the critters off me. The moral to the story is don't use Chinese emery paper, or if you must use it, never in hot weather.