Thread: Daystate air ranger fps variation

Daystate air ranger fps variation

Hi all.

Been off line for some time due to various reasons but have just got my mo-jo back due to buying a new gun and thought I'd re-visit the good ole bbs and its been really nice to read through the posts on the forum again

Anyway I have just got a Daystate Air Ranger (FAC) which is a .22 and from a quick search on here I've gathered is a non regulated gun, I.e Harper patent on side of the action and with the metal trigger guard.

My reason for the post is that after test firing the gun (albeit with lightweight H & N Ftt pellets) I experienced a blow back of air in my face after every shot, Presume the o ring on the probe has gone ? or something similar ?

Also as its non regged gun, can anybody tell me if the fps should vary a lot once the needle comes out of the green and into the yellow part of the gauge ?

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Chandlers; 16-06-2018 at 07:48 AM.
    BEWARE OF THE BEARDS

Hi if you are getting a blow of air in the face then I would say you are correct on the probe seal, as for the fps variation it may be different on fac rifles but on a sub12 the variation should be minimal as it goes into the yellow bud.

But it could be loosing a different amount of air at the probe seal everyshot thus throwing your fps figures out of whack.

I wouldn't expect to get more than a 20fps spread across the sweet spot. The problem is the higher you go with the muzzle enegy, the more likely you are to suffer extremes of variation.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Air Ranger

As others stated change the bolt O-ring as that is part of the problem. I too have an FAC .22 cal Ranger and experienced inconsistent velocity variations and poor shot count when using lightweight pellets. I noticed that when I switched to the really heavy pellets like Eun Jins combined with a high fill pressure the rifle seemed to really settle down. I also spoke to Gary Sanders a few years ago and he confirmed the FAC rifles were tuned towards the really heavy pellets combined with a very high fill pressure just as I found out. I think you will see a big difference in energy too when using the heavies as well as a much flatter power curve and increased shot count. Your sweet spot will probably be at a much higher level and require refills a lot sooner than most rifles. It would be interesting to see if your rifle responds as well as mine did to the change. Mine is an earlier 50 ft lb version so that might make a difference compared to later models as they might have made changes to the valving.
    Last edited by dair; 16-06-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dair View Post
    As others stated change the bolt O-ring as that is part of the problem. I too have an FAC .22 cal Ranger and experienced inconsistent velocity variations and poor shot count when using lightweight pellets. I noticed that when I switched to the really heavy pellets like Eun Jins combined with a high fill pressure the rifle seemed to really settle down. I also spoke to Gary Sanders a few years ago and he confirmed the FAC rifles were tuned towards the really heavy pellets combined with a very high fill pressure just as I found out. I think you will see a big difference in energy too when using the heavies as well as a much flatter power curve and increased shot count. Your sweet spot will probably be at a much higher level and require refills a lot sooner than most rifles. It would be interesting to see if your rifle responds as well as mine did to the change. Mine is an earlier 50 ft lb version so that might make a difference compared to later models as they might have made changes to the valving.
    I have had effectively two. I had an AR30 which liked JSB heavies but later modified it to an AR40 and it liked JSB Jumbo.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Thanks chaps !
    Will look into getting a new o-ring first off, could you advise which one I need and where from or is it a contact Daystate job ??
    I haven't got a charging bottle either as of yet as it's at a mates' house and I don't fancy stirrup pumping the 500cc bottle, (my HW 100k is enough !) so once I get it I will fill back into the green and also get some heavy pellets and see how it goes

Also could you please advise what fill level approx I should be aiming for ? I think the gun is set up at 32-35ftlb ME.

Cheers
    BEWARE OF THE BEARDS

Quote Originally Posted by Chandlers View Post
    Thanks chaps !
    Will look into getting a new o-ring first off, could you advise which one I need and where from or is it a contact Daystate job ??
    I haven't got a charging bottle either as of yet as it's at a mates' house and I don't fancy stirrup pumping the 500cc bottle, (my HW 100k is enough !) so once I get it I will fill back into the green and also get some heavy pellets and see how it goes

Also could you please advise what fill level approx I should be aiming for ? I think the gun is set up at 32-35ftlb ME.

Cheers
    I would think it will be 200bar fill pressure but Daystate will advise better if you give them the serial number. You will find JSB Or AA Field Plus will be the pellet of choice.

Air Ranger

My early 50 ft lb version is marked 250 bar right on top the barrel shroud just in front of the receiver just like the Airwolfs. If you have a large scope on it you might have to look closely as it might be hidden a bit. Mine needs every bit of that 250 bar for the best performance. I was told by Daystate that it is common to see that and it's fine. My Airwolf is a 40 ft lb version and it is marked 220 bar.
    Yours may be different but trying to get those super high pressures with a hand pump could be a challenge.

Thanks, Gents.
    Will change the o ring as soon as I can which will hopefully sort the blowback of air in the face and also get some JSB plus as well and have a test session, will get the air bottle back Weds so won't have to pump !

Brgds

Dave.
    BEWARE OF THE BEARDS

i fill my fac ranger to 230 bar its set power is 37 fpe, it was originaly set at 80 fpe when i bought it from a friend, i then got the power reduced to 37 fpe with bis mag pellets and a match grade barrel
    its a deadly combo, and one i intend to keep.
    atb brian