Thread: Why I am Beginning To Change My Mind About Sub12 Hunting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Its always been the case that perfect shot placement is required. Head/brain shot the best. Its why I don't shoot further than farmyard ranges with 12ft/lbs rifles.
    I know there are some good shots in tune with their rifles that can achieve longer ranges, but most people are poor and really shouldn't do it. Fine on paper targets but not so great on live quarry.
    Gone are the days that a solid hit was enough as the farm dog would conclude the business sharpish. Shoot to your ability, as there is nothing clever in chancing and hoping for the best.

I use my air rifles in the garden/farmyard. Beyond that its rimfires and bigger, where even a poor shot should be devastating. FAC Airifles just double effective air rifle ranges, but stil require real precisin; the higher powered ones a little more real shock advantage, but its still not rimfire trauma.

However, its personal responsibility and respect for the quarry that each individual must decide themselves, for they are pulling the trigger. The same goes for safety, it an individuals responsibility to make that call. If in doubt don't take the shot.
    The true measure of a sportsman is not the bag but how they go about it.
    Last edited by Muskett; 16-06-2018 at 01:30 PM.

I think of the old property advice, location, location, location. Just the same even when hunting large game with high powered rifle, it is shot placement every time. My mates have had track wounded game which run off in South Africa and Australia. I am sure the spring rifles we used on rabbits in the 50's and 60's were below 12 ft.lb.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD