Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I am Beginning To Change My Mind About Sub12 Hunting

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I was a hunter but not now especially after watching Richard Dawkins explaining that animals could feel more pain than humans. For me airgunning is for fun and enjoyment. I didn't think 11 ft/lb was enough and I still don't I think hunters should be looking at 17 plus ft/lb but even then a clean kill is part luck.
    secretagentmole says that I have a condescending attitude but I am the opposite I don't think that I am superior enough to make a clean kill every time without luck there are just to many variables and to me it looks the same for everyone else even though skill and experience has some advantages.
    Fair comment - thanks for the answer.

All of the above.

I like the breed too, but would never own one. The reason is one of my old Sergeants had them, had them thirty plus years. Loved them to pieces but always said they were like carrying a cocked pistol in public. Didn't matter how placid, kid loving they were, they could just snap. More than able to take someones arm off. He was a powerful man but admitted he would struggle if they kicked off. He was on the ball with them all the time, and very experienced reading them. His were so soppy.....

Now I'm happy for you to own a Rottweiller, and you don't have to hunt, nor be particularly keen for 12ft/lbs farmyard critter hunting, but please! I'll take responsibility for my wind call over a Rottweiler any time.
    Both come with responsibility. I am sure we both are.
    Last edited by Muskett; 21-06-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Try a .25, it has stopping power. Even at sub 12. It retains more energy than .177 or .22.
    It flies 100fps+ faster than any arrow

Get a range finder too. Over 40yards you have to be hft master to kill with a .177 anyway.
    .177 is for gurls lol

.177 is like driving knitting needles in and out through the animal body

I would limit the range and use larger caliber, that’s what we can do best with our power limits.
    If the limit was 30 or 50, there would be the same discussion here but at different distances 100-200yards shots. Or simply about different size quarry-larger animals taken. Currently on the US forums slugs are the hot topic...
    Some just want to push their limits, trying their luck all the time
    Last edited by krisko; 21-06-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Maybe not Rob, if we're talking of a 1mph wind, i challenge anyone to be able to detect that. Also take into account that whatever wind is felt by the shooter won't necessarily be the same 20 yards out.

Let's not allow this to spiral into a sub 12ftlb long range hunting thread as it's been unequivocally proven to be irresponsible.
    I shoot target more often these days Chris. There is no way that I could read the wind at 70 yards. I know the gun is laser accurate even at 90 yards and I know that I have made the calculations and all that but I still miss now and then.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    Try a .25, it has stopping power...

.177 is like driving knitting needles in and out through the animal body
    Here we go again. Sigh.

There is no such thing as "stopping power". If there was, we could measure it scientifically. What we can measure are terminal ballistics. We can also medically assess wound effects. Every decent study ever done indicates that effectiveness is a combination of shot placement, energy, and the performance of the projectile in the target, which is a function of both projectile construction and things like projectile stability. With shot placement the most important factor, provided that the ballistics give a basic level of penetration.

As for the .177" "knitting needle", a knitting needle through the cerebral cortex = dead animal.

You cannot get more dead than dead. Either it is dead or not. A .177" air rifle head shot at 8ft-lbs retained energy kills a rabbit just as dead as a .50"BMG burst that cuts it literally in half.

Sorry guys, but this whole thread is getting a bit annoying. Many decades of mass experience show that a reasonable sub-12 air rifle of any type or calibre in the hands of a reasonable shooter at sensible ranges is a perfectly acceptable and humane pest control tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Here we go again. Sigh.

There is no such thing as "stopping power". If there was, we could measure it scientifically. What we can measure are terminal ballistics. We can also medically assess wound effects. Every decent study ever done indicates that effectiveness is a combination of shot placement, energy, and the performance of the projectile in the target, which is a function of both projectile construction and things like projectile stability. With shot placement the most important factor, provided that the ballistics give a basic level of penetration.

As for the .177" "knitting needle", a knitting needle through the cerebral cortex = dead animal.

You cannot get more dead than dead. Either it is dead or not. A .177" air rifle head shot at 8ft-lbs retained energy kills a rabbit just as dead as a .50"BMG burst that cuts it literally in half.

Sorry guys, but this whole thread is getting a bit annoying. Many decades of mass experience show that a reasonable sub-12 air rifle of any type or calibre in the hands of a reasonable shooter at sensible ranges is a perfectly acceptable and humane pest control tool.
    Stick of TNT and a box of matches Works in the cowboy films
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    Stick of TNT and a box of matches Works in the cowboy films
    Picture the scene, Scout camp, survival weekend, basically basic food, but see what you can find in the forest to eat sort of thing. Well we were a maverick sort of patrol, unorthodox in approach and downright bleeding devious on occasions. There was a massive rabbit warren on the field, my APL (Assistant Patrol Leader) Murph's parents owned a newsagents, it was just after Guy Fakes night, Murph knew I could prepare a rabbit....

So my patrol all mark the warren entrances and proceed with stuffing fireworks down the burrow entrances, we had lots of fireworks, Murph's dad dropped them off when we were suposed to be foraging for mushrooms. With everyone else off the campsite Iceni patrol was busy at work.... With matches ready we each had a firework rocket jammed at the top of the warren with god only knows what else rammed down the burrow. On the command of strike we struck matches, light saw the rocket fuses lit, and 6 scouts heading for the undergrowth only to run into the scout master, who asked what we were doing as we hit the ground, and the middle of the campsite went about 4 ft in the air....

We used the crater as a fire pit.... It's still there...

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Picture the scene, Scout camp, survival weekend, basically basic food, but see what you can find in the forest to eat sort of thing. Well we were a maverick sort of patrol, unorthodox in approach and downright bleeding devious on occasions. There was a massive rabbit warren on the field, my APL (Assistant Patrol Leader) Murph's parents owned a newsagents, it was just after Guy Fakes night, Murph knew I could prepare a rabbit....

So my patrol all mark the warren entrances and proceed with stuffing fireworks down the burrow entrances, we had lots of fireworks, Murph's dad dropped them off when we were suposed to be foraging for mushrooms. With everyone else off the campsite Iceni patrol was busy at work.... With matches ready we each had a firework rocket jammed at the top of the warren with god only knows what else rammed down the burrow. On the command of strike we struck matches, light saw the rocket fuses lit, and 6 scouts heading for the undergrowth only to run into the scout master, who asked what we were doing as we hit the ground, and the middle of the campsite went about 4 ft in the air....

We used the crater as a fire pit.... It's still there...
    But did you actually get any rabbits ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Maybe not Rob, if we're talking of a 1mph wind, i challenge anyone to be able to detect that. Also take into account that whatever wind is felt by the shooter won't necessarily be the same 20 yards out.

Let's not allow this to spiral into a sub 12ftlb long range hunting thread as it's been unequivocally proven to be irresponsible.
    I was entering into no such subject as distance. Nobby quoted distance not I.
    What I was saying was its an experienced shooters call.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Yes
    Genuine question, Barry - does your Rottweiler shoot?
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Barryg is online now Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Genuine question, Barry - does your Rottweiler shoot?
    No she is to much of a female LOL .

In truth, Richard Dawkins cannot know what pain an animal feels. He is currently advocating the moral superiority of veganism, and seeks to bolster his argument with unfounded speculation. But if that has influenced your thinking Barry, you need to consider that in the same lecture he compares keeping animals as pets to the abhorrent practice of slavery. So it’s goodbye hunting, goodbye Rottie.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Here we go again. Sigh.

I have got 2x 177s, 2x22s and a .25. Believe me the .25 is for hunting killing animals. The others are easier to connect with the target/ shoot but that’s it.
    Learn to shoot a .25 then come back here to comment.
    Last edited by krisko; 23-06-2018 at 07:22 AM.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    I have got 2x 177s, 2x22s and a .25. Believe me the .25 is for hunting killing animals. The others are easier to connect with the target/ shoot but that’s it.
    Learn to shoot a .25 then come back here to comment.
    Why not get a sub 12 .303 then? That will kill them even deaderer!

A .177 will kill, instantly, as will a .2 and a .22.
    If you wound with a .25 it is still going to hurt.

I think sub 12 air rifle hunting is of critical importance to the UK and have no doubt it can be performed humanely and ethically.
    Anyone who has the slightest understanding of the environment, ecology and economy of this country knows certain species have to be controlled, and anyone who understands shooting knows that small calibre powder burners and shotguns are not suitable for shooting small quarry in many instances. The alternative to air rifles is poison and traps which are nether 100% species specific or as humane/lethal as shooting.

First I think we have to look at the compounded successful effects that many decades of sub 12 air rifle hunting has had on the UK, so imagine if all the quarry taken by sub 12 hunting over many decades had been allowed to live and reproduce, and consider how damaging that would have been on the environment, ecology and economy of the UK.
    If sub 12 hunting was banned we would either be up to our ankles in rats, the red squirrels and songbirds would disappear and vast amounts of crops would be destroyed, alternatively the mass use of poison and traps would destroy much the very wild life we desperately need to preserve.

Secondly, for me proof of humane and ethical hunting with sub 12 air rifles comes down to one thing and that is my shot/kill ratio, I haven't hunted for a while now but when I was very actively hunting I was getting a 95% shot/kill which is a minimum of 19 out of 20 shots at quarry would kill the quarry. Obviously I didn't start hunting with this kind of success (my first hunting trip nearly put me off hunting for life), for me to achieve this I had to work very hard (theory and practical) on three main areas -
    Markmanship
    Fieldcraft
    Quarry behaviour knowledge

Personally if I couldn't achieve over a 90% shot/kill ratio I'd stop hunting for a while until I figured out where I was going wrong and try not to resort to blaming the tools I was using for the job. I realised biggest weaknesses when I started hunting were not knowing angled shots, judging the wind incorrectly, shooting too far and not waiting until the quarry had settled before taking a shot, once I got these aspects sorted hunting became a pleasure because of the effectiveness of each shot and knowing of the greater good I was doing.