A caveat I like to spout is that far too many people, men, think that they have a automatic ability, a birth right, to be Davy Crocket, Jim Bowie, and Robin Hood all rolled up in one. Buy the kit and instant success
Shooting and Hunting is a learnt skill. It takes practice and perseverance to gain those skills. Do enough and success will come, and its always helpful if you can find some good guidance. Get enough experience under your belt and one thing is for sure: the more practiced and the closer you can get the more likely to fill the bag and have that successful outcome.

There is nothing wrong in taking longer shots as we have the equipment to deliver them, but to take them requires considerable preparation and testing. Rocking up and chancing it is irresponsible as its leaving it to chance. Put the work in then amazing ranges can be achieved but only once the confidence is such that little has been left to chance. I generally use as a rule, whatever I can achieve distance wise on paper then take a 1/3 off for the field; some times its 1/2. But it really all depends on all the parts coming together into one: the equipment, the marksmanship, the testing and fine tuning, the regular practice and testing, and then a good dollop of restraint. Prove it and then prove it again on paper first. It needs to be repeatable in the field, and then take 1/3rd off, to get the level of certainty that ensure we are confident we have done our very best. Respect for ones quarry demands that. Add to all that the conditions on the day.
What shots I can pull off when fully prepared and in tune from a rigours practice regime, to what I can do when when out of practice, rusty, and not fully confident in the whole combination, is worlds apart.

Just saying.
Everyone finds their own way, its their call if they pull the trigger or not at the end of the day. A good sportsman leaves little to chance.