Thread: Why I am Beginning To Change My Mind About Sub12 Hunting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That's nothing wrong with taking small game and vermin with .177 sub 12.

Like with everything, you just work within the limitations.

All of the above.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Lots of different opinions but the facts are still the same, shot placement is luck because you can't predict when a animal is going to move, here are some wild rabbits and even when they are still you don't know when they are going to shake their head and scratch and at 30 yards there are also other factors to consider, think how far a rabbit can move from the time you pull the trigger.
    10.5-11 ft/lbs is for fun plinking and competitions, shooting live animals is controversial when you have to rely on luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D_h...ature=youtu.be

I always thought that the attraction was with the challenge and fieldcraft required.

I don't hunt these days but I did for many years and in all that time I never yearned for more power.

Back in the early 80s my FWB 127 was my "go to" hunting rifle and we cleanly despatched many rabbits, rats and pigeon plus a few squirrels. When I got it chrono'd it was doing 9.5ft.lbs.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

But we are not relying on absolute luck. Nor are we relying on absolute certainty. Is there anything in life that doesn't have some luck involved, or anything often with absolute certainty? Think the latter is death and taxes.

Shooting animals is not controversial when done responsibly. In fact its very normal, its more weird to think otherwise. Bar one religion, there are few cultures that do not include other animals as part of natures bounty to exploit, or to control if a pest. How achieved, and to what level, with even what conservation to include, is part of a huge debate. But the management, conservation, and the bounty I take, is to me absolutely fine and very normal. I'm comfortable with it, and my dinner better for it

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Lots of different opinions but the facts are still the same, shot placement is luck because you can't predict when a animal is going to move, here are some wild rabbits and even when they are still you don't know when they are going to shake their head and scratch and at 30 yards there are also other factors to consider, think how far a rabbit can move from the time you pull the trigger.
    10.5-11 ft/lbs is for fun plinking and competitions, shooting live animals is controversial when you have to rely on luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D_h...ature=youtu.be
    I think luck is the wrong word, makes it sound like anyone that hunts is irresponsible. That video doesn’t really represent a hunting scenario, the first part of it they presented themselves almost motionless and they were what I’d class as a viable shot.
    Very often when a rabbit clocks you he sits still and watches you get within range until you take the shot,if he carries on feeding a quick squeak or click brings him back up for the shot.

I think rabbits are cute, the little ones super cute.
    I've studied them for hours, not always through a rifle scope; thought hundreds I have.
    My children had pet rabbits too.
    But wild rabbits in numbers are an agricultural pest, quite a serious one.
    They taste good too.

Rats aren't quite as appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelletpinger View Post
    I think luck is the wrong word, makes it sound like anyone that hunts is irresponsible. That video doesn’t really represent a hunting scenario, the first part of it they presented themselves almost motionless and they were what I’d class as a viable shot.
    Very often when a rabbit clocks you he sits still and watches you get within range until you take the shot,if he carries on feeding a quick squeak or click brings him back up for the shot.

It's not luck. It's a mathematical equation based on precision, accuracy, lethality (which used to be measured by the military as retained muzzle energy, now measured better as wound effect), range, range judging, wind and wind judging, etc.

That complex equation suggests that going much beyond 30, maybe 40, yards/metres with an air gun is questionable, for anyone.

Terry D, who is a very highly skilled shot, proven by his FT record, has a long-standing challenge to the "I kill everything at 55 yards" gang to go head-to-head on a range, with the results written up in AGW. None of them has ever taken on the challenge.

For me, that's case closed. 12 is fine, at sensible ranges. Sensible meaning when you can reliably hit the (brain) kill zone.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    It's not luck. It's a mathematical equation based on precision, accuracy, lethality (which used to be measured by the military as retained muzzle energy, now measured better as wound effect), range, range judging, wind and wind judging, etc.

That complex equation suggests that going much beyond 30, maybe 40, yards/metres with an air gun is questionable, for anyone.

Terry D, who is a very highly skilled shot, proven by his FT record, has a long-standing challenge to the "I kill everything at 55 yards" gang to go head-to-head on a range, with the results written up in AGW. None of them has ever taken on the challenge.

For me, that's case closed. 12 is fine, at sensible ranges. Sensible meaning when you can reliably hit the (brain) kill zone.
    Which is why, like when driving, you use sensible distances given the prevailing conditions...

A caveat I like to spout is that far too many people, men, think that they have a automatic ability, a birth right, to be Davy Crocket, Jim Bowie, and Robin Hood all rolled up in one. Buy the kit and instant success
    Shooting and Hunting is a learnt skill. It takes practice and perseverance to gain those skills. Do enough and success will come, and its always helpful if you can find some good guidance. Get enough experience under your belt and one thing is for sure: the more practiced and the closer you can get the more likely to fill the bag and have that successful outcome.

There is nothing wrong in taking longer shots as we have the equipment to deliver them, but to take them requires considerable preparation and testing. Rocking up and chancing it is irresponsible as its leaving it to chance. Put the work in then amazing ranges can be achieved but only once the confidence is such that little has been left to chance. I generally use as a rule, whatever I can achieve distance wise on paper then take a 1/3 off for the field; some times its 1/2. But it really all depends on all the parts coming together into one: the equipment, the marksmanship, the testing and fine tuning, the regular practice and testing, and then a good dollop of restraint. Prove it and then prove it again on paper first. It needs to be repeatable in the field, and then take 1/3rd off, to get the level of certainty that ensure we are confident we have done our very best. Respect for ones quarry demands that. Add to all that the conditions on the day.
    What shots I can pull off when fully prepared and in tune from a rigours practice regime, to what I can do when when out of practice, rusty, and not fully confident in the whole combination, is worlds apart.

Just saying.
    Everyone finds their own way, its their call if they pull the trigger or not at the end of the day. A good sportsman leaves little to chance.

secretagentmole Guest
    When I started airgun shooting again after a 25 year lay off I practised at a range, we put hours in knocking the knock downs down, punching paper, it was only after many months of doing that I started looking for a permission. The first few trips to the permission were more observational than hunting (though I did despatch a couple of myxie victims). Roost shooting learnt by using the branches of an old dead tree for practise.

Soon I was a capable hunter who was feeding not only his family, but a few neighbours as well (to the extent that one old girl would ask when the next pigeon pie was coming, in fact I promised her one and the day after I delivered it - used to send it round oven ready, she could not cook that well, been like it all her life - the family decided to take her out for a meal at which point she told them to bugger off as it was pigeon pie night).

I hunt on farm and paddock land so I am after pests, land owner happy, me happy, neighbours happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    A caveat I like to spout is that far too many people, men, think that they have a automatic ability, a birth right, to be Davy Crocket, Jim Bowie, and Robin Hood all rolled up in one. Buy the kit and instant success
    Shooting and Hunting is a learnt skill. It takes practice and perseverance to gain those skills. Do enough and success will come, and its always helpful if you can find some good guidance. Get enough experience under your belt and one thing is for sure: the more practiced and the closer you can get the more likely to fill the bag and have that successful outcome.

There is nothing wrong in taking longer shots as we have the equipment to deliver them, but to take them requires considerable preparation and testing. Rocking up and chancing it is irresponsible as its leaving it to chance. Put the work in then amazing ranges can be achieved but only once the confidence is such that little has been left to chance. I generally use as a rule, whatever I can achieve distance wise on paper then take a 1/3 off for the field; some times its 1/2. But it really all depends on all the parts coming together into one: the equipment, the marksmanship, the testing and fine tuning, the regular practice and testing, and then a good dollop of restraint. Prove it and then prove it again on paper first. It needs to be repeatable in the field, and then take 1/3rd off, to get the level of certainty that ensure we are confident we have done our very best. Respect for ones quarry demands that. Add to all that the conditions on the day.
    What shots I can pull off when fully prepared and in tune from a rigours practice regime, to what I can do when when out of practice, rusty, and not fully confident in the whole combination, is worlds apart.

Just saying.
    Everyone finds their own way, its their call if they pull the trigger or not at the end of the day. A good sportsman leaves little to chance.
    100% spot on.

There's no doubt that air rifles are capable of clean kills on quarry at ranges greater than 40 yards.
    The trick is the shooter being able to harness that capability to deliver a clean kill. This comes from experience gained over the years. I'm actually a far better shot now, in my 50's than I was 25 years ago.

When I lose the ability to deliver clean kills in the field, I'll then restrict my shooting to paper and knockdown targets. I certainly won't be looking for "powder" and "knockdown power" to compensate for any loss in ability.
    B.A.S.C. member