Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I am Beginning To Change My Mind About Sub12 Hunting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    For years I have been believing that this level of power is fine for taking out the usual airgun quarry as ' humanely ' as possible. Having recently watched a lot of U Tube videos of the more responsible shooters and how increasingly they are trying to get closer to the target to make the one shot kill and quite often failing, I am now beginning to think that this level of power is not really suitable for general hunting of the allowed quarry but for perhaps close range ratting or taking the odd pigeon out. The problem from where I stand is that unless the shot is clinical to the brain the result is a wounded animal . Yes they are often taken out with a follow up shot but still. At 11 or so ft.lbs the pellets used do not impart much ballistic shock if any, even at very close distances, to the imapct area therefore even a very close miss does not do enough damage to kill the quarry cleanly. Perhaps the answer is to go for FAC guns of about 30+ ft.lbs where allowed.

A.G
    It’s about placement, not power and sub 12 is ample for all sensible ranges and legitimate quarry in my experience.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
    It’s about placement, not power and sub 12 is ample for all sensible ranges and legitimate quarry in my experience.
    Even if you were a world champion it would only be luck for a humaine quick kill because animals move, so shot placement is unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Even if you were a world champion it would only be luck for a humaine quick kill because animals move, so shot placement is unreliable.
    Exactly my point.

A.G

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    We should all use .50 BMG with body shots to be 100% sure.

Until they are banned!!
    Master Debater

And that would be the same if you used a higher powered airgun or powder burner .

so are you saying hunting with ALL firearms should be banned ?

Or should we do as Murphy says and use a .50bmg to shoot animals as even if you hit its eyelash it will still blow it to pieces

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    And that would be the same if you used a higher powered airgun or powder burner .

Or should we do as Murphy says and use a .50bmg to shoot animals as even if you hit its eyelash it will still blow it to pieces
    The only way to be sure is landmines I reckon
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    The only way to be sure is landmines I reckon
    already banned for that reason alone I hear. It leaves nothing to sell to the butchers .

As hunters we should all try to be good sportsmen and do our very best to be as humane as possible. But we must recognise it is not a perfect science. Respect your quarry.
    Let us also remember that the Natural World is by far the cruelest of them all. Even human industrialisation can't match it. Most humans haven't any clue what is done on their behalf to provide for their needs and wants. At least a good sportsman recognises the magnitude and responsibility of what they are doing, and what they are doing is quite natural and normal and nothing we haven't been doing from the very beginning.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Well, not really.

The movement required to make a 12 Fp airgun pellet miss the brain is miniscule - 8-10mm ?
    The movement required to miss a heart/lung shot with a .22 RF or 30 FP airgun is more like an inch.
    The heart/lung target area is much larger, but is only really an option when you have more power.

This is what I found when I hunted with FAC air and RF anyways - it probably only extended my range from sub 12 40 yards to FAC 55 yards - but it meant I didnt need to aim for the tiny brain of my quary for every shot.

Now the HMR allowed much longer ranges, but was just too noisy for someone used to silencer air or .22 subs.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Lets not forget in some countries you can only hunt with real firearms by law. Power wins over accuracy most of the time

And Muskett's comment that the Natural World is by far the cruelest of them all is no excuse for us to forget two wrongs don't make a right, the natural world doesn't have (100 billion neurons in a head) like us that help us to decide if 12 ft/lbs is humane to hunt with LOL

Come on Barry. Seriously ??
    A mere click of the tongue can get a busily feeding rabbit to sit bolt upright.
    A squirrel will stay dead still, thinking you haven;t seen him
    A woodie unaware of your presence will remain static.

Anyone struggling to take legal airgun quarry needs to take up fishing, or buy a .243 which has loads of knockdown power wherever you hit the animal.
    B.A.S.C. member

We use 177 as it's better for certainty of shot placement but it is the lightest calibre available. 25 years back I picked up a 0.25 calibre Daystate LR90 and was amazed at the knock down power. If it wasn't for the problem of needing precise range estimation that would be my chosen calibre. If you have 25 cal and 54 fpe, you have everything I'd want.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

I am comfortable with using 12ft/lbs air rifles, and so is the the Law, for taking the designated critters within the farmyard.
    I am comfortable being a hunter and hold great respect for my quarry. I am realistic that its not a perfect world, and even with great diligence not ever outcome is always perfect. I strive to be as humane as practicably possible.

I realise its not for everyone, and some hold other views.

Humans have always hunted and taken a bounty from what nature provides. Its the natural way of things and those that wish to object to that I find weird; well a minority and a very alternative stand point. They are free to hold those views, but please can we have a bit less of the erroneous "morality high ground" baloney. If we were just vegetarians we wouldn't tolerate herbivores as they would be competing for our cereals. As it is modern farming uses pesticides on an industrial scale to provide our daily bread; just look at the bird population crash for the evidence.
    I think hunters are more aware of the human impact on the natural world than most. Far more than those who live within the metropolitan cities and have no clue other than what they see on their TV's when a nature programme happens to be the entertainment that night.
    I've put my view across plenty of times.

For 12ft/lbs air rifle hunting then shot placement is everything. What effective range is dependant on the skill of the shooter. The final decision is with the person pulling the trigger.
    In truth shot placement is always the most important part, that and using enough "gun" to do the business. Or we could always just nuke them

Well Barry, my sub-12 rifles and I must have been plain old 'lucky' literally thousands of times over the years. Unless the countless hours of training, learning, experience and dedication had anything to do with my successes in the field.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Well Barry, my sub-12 rifles and I must have been plain old 'lucky' literally thousands of times over the years. Unless the countless hours of training, learning, experience and dedication had anything to do with my successes in the field.
    Successes in the field? We were talking about hunting there Mellors, hunting...