Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaking regulator

leaking regulator

hello all ,
    After 3 years of not shooting I have decided to sell my regulated aa410 . It was empty when took it out to check over and when I filled it it started to leak at about 100 lbs .The air was coming from the hole drilled in the air reservoir so i am presuming it is the reg leaking.
    So my question is can the reg be fixed (it is an airmaster 88 reg) or do I need a new reg ?
    I would appreciate your thoughts
    many thanks
    Duncan
    also what sort of price would reasonable for working aa 410 walnut stock in 177 ?

There'll probably be a tiny O ring under the reg internals that needs replacing.

Or the o-rings on the regulator body, the same happened on my BTAS regged s410.

Cheers for the swift replies .
    another question if the o rings are replaced will the reg then need tweaking or will it be a straight swap ?

Quote Originally Posted by dyer View Post
    Cheers for the swift replies .
    another question if the o rings are replaced will the reg then need tweaking or will it be a straight swap ?
    You can replace the external o-rings without any changes or resetting, I've never stripped a reg but would guess that you'd need to reset the working pressure if you changed the internal seal.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Or the o-rings on the regulator body, the same happened on my BTAS regged s410.
    Same with mine a couple of months ago.

As said above, just pull the reg out (make sure the cylinder is empty first), change the o rings and re assemble. Will be good to go then...

Andy.
    NO LONGER My s410

Thanks for help chaps , do i just unscrew the air reservoir to get to the reg?

You can do it that way, but every one I have seen done like this leaves scratches in the finish on the cylinder from rubbing on the breech. Best to remove the breech first.
    NO LONGER My s410

reg.

IMO.if it was mine I would ring who ever fits the airmasters reg ,you may be able to just send your reg for a full service or at the worst send your cylinder with reg inside, if theres any orings inside the reg because the outer has started to fail it seems false economy to me just to sort the outer orings out. you may be lucky and get away with it then again it could let you down again .. atb gc93

Took me half an hour to fully service a trench reg, first time i took a pcp apart bsa scorpion btw .
    Xtx and Robert lane do videos on it you need a very faint scratch on the presure screw so you know where to screw it back to .
    Never pulled an s400 apart but heard they are not that hard.
    Scorpion. 177 hornet. 177 txhc. 177 s200. 177 97. 177 99.177 95. 22 80. 22 vulcan. 22 excorcet. 22
    Trying hard to keep it down to 10 rifles.

cheers for all your replies ,I have replaced the external o rings on the outside of the reg and i still have the leak. so it must be the o rings inside the reg.
    I presume as long as i make sure that when i rebuild the regulator the adjusting screw is in the same place everything should work ok ?
    Duncan

As long as you dont have to touch the beleville washers, then the set pressure “should” be the same when re assembled... Always worth testing when finished though.

Andy.
    NO LONGER My s410

I have just stripped the reg and replaced the o ring on the stem but the one for the piston "head" is rebated in the body of the reg and and i was to sure how to get it out . anyway have rebuilt the gun and filled and at the moment it seems to be holding air . will wait until tomorrow before congratulating myself to much though.
    Cheers again for all the advice it gave me the encouragement to have a go
    Duncan

You may have changed the reg pressure slightly during the rebuild, so I'd chrono the rifle before you do anything else.

have just checked power 7.42 ftlb ! no worries about being on the warm side . will adjust tomorrow as had a busy day and beer is beckoning.
    duncan