Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leaking regulator

now i am confused , took out reg and opened screw out to let more air in to reg which i thought would increase ftlbs but it lowered it . so i then screwed it in which lowered it more , so i took it out again and opened it a lot so i now have 150 bar in the reg according to gauge and am getting 2.5ftlbs !
    the only thing that i am aware of that has changed is that when i took the reg apart the spring was well greased and i was unsure if i could use normal grease on it so i cleaned it and left it dry . Could this be causing a problem ? if so what grease can i use on it please ?
    still on the plus side after being worried about dismantling my gun only a week ago I can now do it blindfolded!
    Cheers
    Duncan

The more pressure you have in the reg, the harder it is for the firing valve to open. If the firing valve cannot open, you get not air going down the barrel.

I have never opened a Walham reg, so I can't really advise which way the screw should be turned but you need to seriously reduce the pressure in the reg.

The springs should have some grease on them, most people use the same grease you would use in a springer as it needs to be completely non flammable.

Well stripped reg again ,greased and adjusted it re assembled rifle 100 bar in reg now 2ftlbs . will try adjusting once more tomorrow. the real problem I have now is the amount of shots it takes to empty the gun when it is only shooting 2 ftlbs !

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    sounds like you need to add a little hammer spring preload. 100 BAR woudl be in the right ballpark pressure...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

thanks for that shedtuner . next question how would i go about doing that please?
    Duncan

I think you need to strip, clean and polish the hammer rail and leave dry or dry lube it as oil attracts crap .
    The only way to increase hammer tension is to change the spring for a longer/stronger one but the one in the
    gun is strong enough when all clean and reg pressure set right .

To drain the gun crack open the bolt holding the gauge to the firing valve a quarter turn and the air will leak out .

Not having taken a note of the reg pressure before you started, you are kinda in the dark, but if at 100 bar the rifle is not performing, then you need to go lower. Steyr regs run at 85 bar so do Walther regs, Anschutz can be lower than that.

You have done nothing but alter the reg pressure, so nothing else in the rifle should need changing in order to get to more acceptable velocities.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    You have done nothing but alter the reg pressure, so nothing else in the rifle should need changing in order to get to more acceptable velocities.
    had the rifle been chrono'd shortly beforehand, this woudl make perfect sense, but it could have been doing 7 Fp beforehand - most likely is crap / sticky hammer I'd guess, unless the spring itself has failed. 85 or 100 BAR won't make a huge difference to power if the rest of the rifle is correctly setup
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I Would change things very gradually since you haven't touched them just the reg .
    The o ring that is inside if it's like a tench reg just needs winkling out with a not very sharp poky thing.

On a bsa you just turn the power adjuster screw to set the power not sure what s400 has.
    Scorpion. 177 hornet. 177 txhc. 177 s200. 177 97. 177 99.177 95. 22 80. 22 vulcan. 22 excorcet. 22
    Trying hard to keep it down to 10 rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    had the rifle been chrono'd shortly beforehand, this woudl make perfect sense, but it could have been doing 7 Fp beforehand - most likely is crap / sticky hammer I'd guess, unless the spring itself has failed. 85 or 100 BAR won't make a huge difference to power if the rest of the rifle is correctly setup
    You are probably right about the reg pressure, 1200 psi vs 1450 psi and yes, had the gun been chrono'd then there would be a baseline.

This is not helpful to the OP who is just trying to get his gun working, but I'm afraid this is typical of what happens when people go inside rifles. I have seen some terrible messes inside rifles that 'nobody touched'. I know we have all learned through experiment and the best guns to experiment on are your own, but pcp's and regs can be mighty frustrating, even when you know exactly what you are doing.

To the OP. The 400 has the firing valve and its return spring in a little brass 'pot' / closed tube. You need to mark it and the action with a pencil or sharpie line, then after you have found and undone the locking grub screw (3mm I think) you can unscrew the pot and get to the bits inside. The firing valve may need a clean and the face a polish. It also might be that the valve is actually sticking. Sort that out and put it back together making sure the pot is returned to exactly the same point it was before.

The it will be back to the reg.

Have a search on youtube, there may be a strip down tutorials there.

Quote Originally Posted by dyer View Post
    hello all ,
    After 3 years of not shooting I have decided to sell my regulated aa410 . It was empty when took it out to check over and when I filled it it started to leak at about 100 lbs .The air was coming from the hole drilled in the air reservoir so i am presuming it is the reg leaking.
    So my question is can the reg be fixed (it is an airmaster 88 reg) or do I need a new reg ?
    I would appreciate your thoughts
    many thanks
    Duncan
    also what sort of price would reasonable for working aa 410 walnut stock in 177 ?
    This thread has demonstrated that you cant fix it so the sensible thing to do would be to contact Dave Welham at Airmasters and get him to sort it for you. It would also be a good selling point. That way if you sell the 410 it wont come back like an expensive boomerang.

check

hi just a thought ,can the reg be re-assembled wrong ? also take the breech block of turn it upside down and check the transfer port has'nt moved a little, you can see if the venture airway is ok also