Thread: Measuring overall cartridge length.

Measuring overall cartridge length.

I fully realise that nearly every one will be using a precision caliper or micrometer to measure the cartridge length, but does any one use equipment such as the RCBS gauge station unit which amongst other uses can measure cartridge overall length via a dial gauge.

Thanks for any/all replies.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    I fully realise that nearly every one will be using a precision caliper or micrometer to measure the cartridge length, but does any one use equipment such as the RCBS gauge station unit which amongst other uses can measure cartridge overall length via a dial gauge.

I (Think) I have one of these units and I cannot see how the DTI is used to measure OAL. It would not contact the ogive so would be iffy at best, particularly with different bullet types. In the kit there is a dummy bullet and some sort of gaugue that measures the dummy bullet, but I have always used a stony point OAL gaugue with a machined cartridge or soem other method, then either a Stony point or better still a Shooting shed OAL or Bump gaugue on a vernier caliper.

For example, if I use case head to meplat on a 77Gr SMK HPBT or a 75Gr PPU HPBT, when I go to measure with a decent comparator there is a 0.030" difference, although in terms of actual length or mag length they are identical.

Godo job the AR15 dont care
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Thumbs up OAL measurement

Thanks for the reply.

It would seem that the caliper is fine for the vast majority of reloaders and there is no great interest in devices using a gauge measurement meter, I will however have a look at the Shooting shed items you kindly mentioned.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Thanks for the reply.

It would seem that the caliper is fine for the vast majority of reloaders and there is no great interest in devices using a gauge measurement meter, I will however have a look at the Shooting shed items you kindly mentioned.
    IIRC Dave did something with a DTI at some stage. I shot reasonably well in FTR and never managed to get the OAL thou perfect across the board to be honest.

OAL measurement

What I had in mind was a digital or dial reading which would measure the cartridge from base to top for the purpose of obtaining length to sort cases for trimming etc.

I am aware that the vast majority of re-loaders are quite happy to use a caliper gauge, it is something that I think would speed the re-loading process up, as using other devices such as charge master machines, prep stations etc.

What I had in mind was a digital or dial reading which would measure the cartridge from base to top for the purpose of obtaining length to sort cases for trimming etc.

I am aware that the vast majority of re-loaders are quite happy to use a caliper gauge, it is something that I think would speed the re-loading process up, as using other devices such as charge master machines, prep stations etc.
    A vernier will do that, but to be honest if one needs trimming they probably all will. I use STM tumbling which, combined with a Forster 3 in 1 trimmer means the case mouths can be slightly battered after cleaning, so I always trim (tidy up) on each reload. Its a de-burr with brass being removed if it has flowed a bit.

Even with 100 at a time it does not take long. For what I do I would never measure every case, however if you are F/FTR/BR based then yes, but again why not just use a decent digital vernier? You are not actually measuring COAL, but case length (Head to mouth) which is probably where the confusion on my part came from.

OAL measurement

Does any one use a case length gauge tool such as the Lyman one, or other makes of them.
    If any one does? how useful do you find them?

Does any one use a case length gauge tool such as the Lyman one, or other makes of them.
    If any one does? how useful do you find them?

I've used a Lee case trimmer for every rifle calibre that I reload. You can do it by hand [a pain]], or you can chuck it in a cordless screwdriver - slow is good. I've used mine on many thousands of cases over the last thirty-something years I've been using them.

With the Lee set-up, if the case needs a trim then you use it until the cutter stops cutting. Then de-burr.

tac

OAL measurement

Thanks for all replies.

Another vote for the lee case length gauge, bought a Forster trimmer, don't use it as I still use th lee gauges!!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Another vote for the lee case length gauge, bought a Forster trimmer, don't use it as I still use th lee gauges!!
    Forster is excellent Scott IF you splash out for the 3 in 1 mate, but otherwise it is just a trimmer